We stayed a few days at Haad Tien, and it was for sure a very bad idea. The hotel seems lovely on internet, but the management and service is so bad that your stay risks to be ruined. Haad Tien claims to be a luxurious hotel on the internet, but when you will be arrived, you will realize that Haad Tien has definitely nothing of a luxurious hotel, except the price. Thailand's Hotel standard are really higher.
Four points disadvantaged Haad Tien: an incredibly poor service, a staff absolutely not friendly and not professional (probably they are payed so low that Haad Tien can get only employees without any training, most of the staff doesn't speak english, or just a few words), it's totally secluded and you will feel in jail as there is no proper shuttle to go to the other part of the island, and the price is very expensive for this low service level.
* The hotel is isolated from everything: Island's life is on Sairee Beach, far away from the hotel. You will quickly feel trapped: no other choice that spend the whole day at the beach, the diving club and the restaurant of the hotel.
* About the restaurant, price is really overrated for thailand, low quality food, execrable service, lazzy and inefficient staff. Breakfast is the worst: bad food, not a lot of choice, nullity and harshness of the dedicated staff.
* About the beach: it is dirty and crowded as not really private, many tourists from resorts all around go there. The beach is very windy. When we were there, the waves and the winds made the beach very unconfortable. Only one solution, going to the very crowded pool, and fight to get a sunbed...
Of course, you can escape from this trap and go back to civilization, enjoying a nice moment at the super cool Sairee Beach, where the beach is very nice, sheltered from the winds. You can enjoy there a very good time, especially at the end of the day, so many nice bar and excellent Thai restaurant at reasonable prices, where you can enjoy delicious catch of the day. At Sairee Beach you can find many diving schools much better and much cheaper that the dive center of the resort.
* The free shuttle organized by the hotel stop only to the port to pick up new guests. Port has no interest. It is only at 3 km from Sairee Beach, but you have to pay an extra to go there, and there is no way back from Sairee Beach. Transfert is done with a very old truck, the kind of trucks used to carry cattles: no seat, just a bench, no seat belt , the driver traveling at breakneck speed on a bumpy road... It doesn't reply to the safety standard of an occidental hote: simply scandalous to play with guest's life !!!!
There is only two free-shuttles a day, and time schedule seems to be made just to be the most inconvenient to you; that you stay at the hotel and spend all your money there (as soon as you arrive, you will understand that Haad Tien is all about catching your money, not making your stay nice and unforgettable).
* Of course, if you pay 800 bahts the hotel can organize for you a transfert in a air-conditionned four wheel drive at your time (800 baths for the return trip for 2 people, same price for a taxi, but there is no taxi waiting for you in front of the hotel) . We did this choice and spent our time on Sairee beach , for a transport budget of € 40 per day for two return trip a day (expensive in thailand, for 40 euros you can have easily an excellent lunch and a nice dinner for two guests in good restaurants).
* About the noise of the work (many complaints on other reviews, they construct new building next to the Haad Tien): noise was not very disturbing during our stay. But Haad Tien will be very soon a nightmare when all this new blocks open and full of tourists. The site will be really overcrowded, then he hotel facilities are already under capacity.
* Wellcome and Front desk - no smile, just exasperated sighs , only one concern : to make you pay the entire stay ( it reminds me Youth Hotel, i never saw that in a high standard hotel ...). Except a Swiss trainee, nobody was friendly at the front desk. And they were all of them totally unable to manage any request... Just repeting: i will report to my manager, he will go back to you, but management should be so busy to fix all this mess that you will never have any answer.
* Most of the bungalows have no privacy (large window on the alley where everybody walk). The villa are supposed to be designed in an "eco"style, in fact they are just designed in a very cheap style. Toilets are separated of the rooms by a simple curtain.
I can definitely not recommend this hotel at my worst ennemy, it's pretentious and expensive... It's a scam, that's it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HaadtienBeach Resort is a boutique destination set in a stunning backdrop of beachfront panoramas, featuring its own 380 metre secluded beach situated at the southern tip of Koh Tao. The property contains 70 private villas thoughtfully spaced amongst over 45 acres of land, which features a stunning natural bay, perfect for swimming and snorkeling. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Haadtien Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Haad Tien Beach Hotel Koh Tao