“Fantastic food and most beautiful place!”

Haadtien Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic food and most beautiful place!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place was beyond amazing to say the least.

I'd only been in Thailand for 2 days when we arrived here randomly. I was death ill and had been throwing up off a ferry all morning and I just needed ANYWHERE with AC and a bed and even though it was more than I wanted to pay 4,000baht ($150 a night) I didn't care!

TOTALLY worth it. Our "hut" was fantastic. The private beach was amazing!!! The water is beautiful and holy crap the FOOD. Hands down the best food I think I've had in my life...and I'm a super crazy foodie. No joke I had the best pizza at their restaurant as well as the best caesar salad. So weird in Thailand right? But it happened. The pizza me and my friend got had cooked egg on it, so be sure to order whatever that one is.

The infinity pool is great!! So beautiful. I think we might have been the only people not on our honeymoon haha. They had a breakfast each morning that was super delicious too. ALL YOU CAN EAT! YAY!! Also did room service.

If you are in Koh Tao you should really stay here. Get the cheapest room $150 a night - which really isn't bad at all for what you are getting. I can understand some of the other reviews who were disappointed because they paid for the more expensive rooms...go cheap haha.

Room Tip: Best pizza I've ever had. So weird for Thailand!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Surbiton
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have just returned from Thailand and spent 10 wonderful nights at Haad Tien, Koh Tao. As I mention in the title the resort is excellent, wonderful, beautiful BUT... there are a couple of things which don't seem to have been mentioned anywhere in the reviews and one of which seems to be somewhat misleading?
1. Haad Tien is NOT 'totally private' as is mentioned on the official website and many of the independent promotional websites. The beach is a public beach and this fact was made clear to us in our first chat with the highly efficient new Manager, John. Please be aware that if you are in a Beach or 'HideAway' Villa and expecting desert island or Maldivian style privacy, you will have day visitors enjoying the beach in very close proximity to you during the day and that can mean right up to the veranda of your Villa. These visitors also have access to the Beach Bar.
2. During the time that we were there - 25th Dec - 3rd Jan - the resort was roughly 80% families with children between newborn and 10. This meant that the pool area was noisy with lots of jumping about, shouting, crying and the associated inflatable toys. So also be aware that at certain times this may not be the quiet retreat that you might expect.

Room Tip: Choose Beach Villa 215 - I am certain that we had the best room on the best part of the beach in the...
4 Thank UnionJacksonLtd
London
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Haad Tien resort. Although there are very mixed reviews here, my husband and I have been to Thailand 4 times and the Haad Tien is up there with the best resorts we've chosen. We stayed in 215, definitely the best Castaway Beach Villa, as is directly on the sand and has rocks in front of your loungers which stopped the day trippers from setting up camp in front of your room. If you like boutique hotels this is the place for you, we were extremely happy with the very friendly service and the food, but I think if you are expecting 5 star, Koh Samui efficiency then you maybe slightly let down. My main reason for writing this review, is to make it known that we are a couple who enjoy quiet, boutique hotels and avoid family resorts, so were surprised to discover that the majority of the people at the resort were large families with small children, which meant we were unable to enjoy the pool at any point in the day. The Haad Tien website does not sell itself as a family resort, nor does it lend itself as one so this came as a huge surprise to us. If you are expecting a quiet, tranquil resort, please think again! Otherwise, this place is as near to paradise as you can possibly get...

Room Tip: Castaway Beach Villas at the far end are better as are directly on the sand and is at the quieter en...
2 Thank Julia J
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here over new years. Paid about $600/ night in a pool villa. The room was nice and clean. The walking path can be steep and dangerous esp in the rain or dark. Not ideal if you are traveling with small children.

The beach was clean and beautiful but the water was not clear so couldnt really do snorkeling.

Staffs are overwhelmed with every single work they need to do. Running around, mixing up/forgetting food order including a wet burger delievered to my room during the rain. It looks like they need professional help to get trained as high end resort staff. Totally a scene based on a poor management. No doubt on it.

The only person that was very professional and helpful was Meladie at the front desk. She spoke fluent English and you can tell she is eager to help every single customer she is dealing with. Other than her, rest of the female staffs at the front desk seem very unhappy with their jobs. It was almost as being rude to their customers.

The manager seem to be overwhelmed with managing the resort as well.

I felt kind of nervous while staying there. With the rainstorm and the new years eve dinner, I felt like the resort was not ready to fully operate yet.

Hope the resort gets a new better management system soon, so people can actually enjoy the beautiful beach and the villas at Haad Tien.

• Stayed January 2013
7 Thank OrangeKiwi
Fornebu
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Haad Tien Beach resort has an uniqe location with a private beach. The pool and beachbar was used everyday- though you had to wait a little long for the food during lunch.
The bungalovs was very nice and clean and they all had really nice view.

I can strongly advice this place to all kind of travelers and is well worth the money.

Steinar (Norway)

Room Tip: All the bungalovs are beautiful
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My fiancee and I loved every minute of this place. Just a secluded hideaway.
Stayed here for 4 nights, 5 days and it was a great overall experience. We looked forward to coming home every night and breakfast in the morning. :)

Cons:
The shuttle service. I think there are only 3 or 4 shuttle times and there is a large gap between morning and afternoon.
Shuttle is free only to the main part of town. If you go to Sairdee (sp), it's extra. If you go outside of the scheduled times, it's extra. I would think, for the amount we paid, they would have offered more shuttle services.
When I first checked in, I informed the front desk that I had to leave early. She seemed annoyed that I had to take a 6am ferry....which meant that she had to wake up early to check us out. This sorta put a sour note on the trip.

Pros:
This resort really puts attention to detail. I noticed, on a few occasions, that the landscapers would be sifting through the sand to make sure that guests got the "white sand" experience. So if they put this amount to attention into sand, you can only imagine the sort of attention they put into your overall experience.

This resort is on the quiet side of the island, so I truly felt like we were on a private vacation. From my opinion, worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived at reception without having a reservation, the receptionist was well spoken and extremely accommodating and found us a lovely room. The room was spacious, clean and beautifully laid out. The bar and restaurant are right on the beach with stunning views. The staff and food were great and we will definitely be returning!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple