“Quite simply, the best place to stay on Koh Tao.”

Haadtien Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Quite simply, the best place to stay on Koh Tao.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

My wife and I recently spent two perfect weeks of our honeymoon at the Haad Tien. From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, we couldn't have been happier with our surroundings and the way we were treated.

We stayed in one of the Castaway Family Beach Villas - blissfully close to the clear waters of the private beach, all necessary mod cons, serviced/cleaned each day, and a very effective air conditioning system.

The facilities at the resort were great - particularly the black infinity pool with views over the beach. And the beach bar, which served pretty good food and chilled drinks, was used often! Oh, getting a daily message is highly recommended - as is chartering a boat for a tour of the island and some snorkelling.

I should note that, whilst on Koh Tao, we had the opportunity to check out some of the other highly rated resorts on the island. In our opinion, the Haad Tien couldn't be beaten. In fact, we were only due to stay at the Haad Tien for one week, but quickly returned when we got to the second resort we had planned to stay at.

As is often the case, it was actually the staff that made our stay so enjoyable. They're a credit to the place. Always smiling, always helpful and friendly. Indeed, for our last night's stay, they arranged a candle-lit pathway from our villa to our own private table on the beach. Such a nice thing to do for us.

There really is much we'd suggest to improve the place. The wine is very expensive, but that's probably the same everywhere. And care should be taken not to build too many rooms/villas on the resort in the future. Right now, it feels perfectly secluded and private, whilst having everything to hand if you need or want it. They should keep it that way!

Room Tip: We booked really early and managed to get a good discount as a result.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Alameda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Travel a ton, been to Asia a few times, spent 15 years in Hotel Management, travel a bunch for work. I know service and I appreciate it when I get it. I got it here. After the overnight train/Ferry from Bangkok to Ko Tao (Canary Travel near Ko San Road for $50) I was tired at arrival. The driver was waiting for me with my name on the board. I was whisked up to the property, which is a few miles out of town off a dirt road. Just look at the pictures to see what greeted me.

Ko Tao is Scuba central and that is why I was here. I decided to splurge and drop $80US a night vs the hotels in town. Hotel runs shuttles to town a few times a day, but it is not super convenient (for me at least as I like to work on my schedule not someone else’s). I would not have wanted to do this for 4 days (cabs are $10 each way).

If you want lively in town this is not your hotel. This is more a relax and take a deep breath, an enclave to read and play in the water. This is exactly what I wanted and I found it here. I did see some families, but it certainly is not overrun with kids at the pool.

SCOOTER: Yet it did not matter I went to town and rented a scooter for $6US a day. Problem solved! Bring passport to rent scooter, get a good one with good tires (see picture), personally I videoed the condition of the bike first to avoid any rumored “damage charges”. The place I rented from has no name I could see. Hotel shuttle drops you off at bank in town, about three doors down on the right as you walk towards the water on the corner of a little alley is the shop I rented from.

ROOMS: Clean with good A/C. Phone, No TV, Wireless (but I hear some rooms connect better than others), outside deck, fridge, nice towels.

FOOD: Breakfast was included and had nice options of fruit, eggs, Thai food, coffee, juice. I had dinner there it was solid, but pricey compared to town, same theory applies to Beach Bar drinks. Once again Expensive by Thai standards, cheap by US standards

GROUNDS: Private beach, infinity pool, ideal setting, clean (although they could clean up the road leading to the resort and from the gate to the hotel (ie better curb appeal on approach)). Pretty sweet.

STAFF: friendly and helpful

OTHER: 2 lobby computers, free shuttle, kayak rental, spa available, free snorkel gear. Beach water is shallow and does have lots of coral – not perfect (swim shoes would be good)

With 4 days I am not sure I need to go back to

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ThankYouMrMiner
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

A wonderful location for a hotel. The staff are warm and friendly and welcoming. The beach is by far the best on the island and the accommodation is excellent. Snorkelling is excellent and the pool and beach bar are delightful.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Getting to the hotel is a trip on itself but you'll be rewarded by the best views, friendly staff, nice restaurante and all the peace you can want. The rooms on the sand are just speteacular!

This place is unforgetably good!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

We spent two nights in a castaway family bungalow - loved it. The only downside as far as we were concerned was the rather bumpy ride to and from town - but we didn't really feel like leaving the resort at all as we were there such a short time. restaurant was great with big daybeds to relax in both in the restaurant and just outside- breakfast was a bit disappointing, but good enough! The pool area is realxing and quite new - they but up extra parasols for shade while we were there. Looking for peace and quiet, this is the place! Although not quite, just a short distance away is Shark's island - my husband and son hired a kayak for a few hours and went snorkelling with reef sharks - you should have seen the look of delight on my eight-year-old's face when they came back! My husband and I agreed that next time we'll just skip Koh Samui and go straight to Koh Tao and the Haad Tien :)

Bophut, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights with my sister and small daughter - in a Castaway bungalow, unit 205.

This is one of the most difficult reviews to write as it was outstanding in so many ways. The new pool is beautiful, visually discreet and modern in this tranquil and harmonious setting. The Bungalow was lovely; the staff friendly and helpful but not intrusive.

The reef is recovering from the 2010 coral bleaching, and we saw a large variety of small fish; purple, yellow and mauve corals in very shallow waters just off the beach.

Would go back here in a heart-beat!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed in a castaway (top of range) beach front cabin/villa. We loved it, right on the beach, great daybed overlooking ocean.... just what we wanted

Food ok but could do better .... not as good as the Amanjirah resort that we had just spent 7 days at and Haad Tien is 3 times the price hence should lift quality to match resort price. The worst pizza I've ever eaten .... I didnt complain as its Thailand and all the cooks were Thai, so not their fault and probably a stupid thing to order on my part!

The beach cocktail barman was great... fun friendly and excellent cocktail skills. So were most of the staff especially the adoreable porters who were fantastic and so keen to please and go out of their way to help. In fact all the Thai staff were great. Was a bit perplexed by the very serious female German? who I think was the manager ..... clearly she is not naturally cut out for the hospitality industry as was a bit like a german prison warden/old school mistress who did'nt look happy at all.... she was not outwardly rude when she gave us a tour of our room but just odd, robotic and not the thai smiley welcome that Thailand is famous for! Anyway we named her Hilda Von Trap and got some amusement out of it and just avoided here wherever possible. Sounds mean but first impressions last and this is a very expensive resort by Koh Tao standards.

Pool was aaamaaazing .... loved it! Beach was also great ..... had to wade out to snorkel as is low tide season, but was very pretty beach and kept spotlessly clean. Only down side was the bit of construction work that was going on but to be honest after a few excellent strawberry daquiries we didnt really notice!

Yes would def reccomend and probably return as is a beautiful natural resort that is trying hard to keep with nature.

Room Tip: they all looked great depending on budget/occasion ... castaway was great tho despite the $$
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple