“A Bit Skeptical at first But ,,,,,”

Seashell Resort Koh Tao
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed August 21, 2013

After reading a lot of reports on trip advisor we we a bit skeptical going to this Resort.
Well after spending 3 days there we loved the place. We stayed in the Beach front rooms with swim up pool.
As the saying goes you only get what you pay for, if you stay in budget rooms they are budget where ever you go.
To often I see people complaining where they have Champagne tastes on a beer budget.
The good points{ Rooms Good size and clean, great beds and linen, great location and good beach area.
Things that could be improved front desk check needs more staff and staff to welcome you and smile.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

When we booked the room we were assured that we could check in around 11am as our ferry arrived around 9.30 after a long, exhausting overnight trip from Bangkok. However when we arrived we were rather rudely told that check in time was 2pm and that we had to wait until then, despite plenty of people having already checked out to catch the morning ferry. We then walked around and found another hotel that was free where could get the room immediately. I therefore canceled my booking seashell. After a long discussion they insisted on keeping a 30% cancelation fee. By that point, I didn't care as I just wanted to leave. During the whole discuion the reception staff insulted us in Thai, which I understood quite well after having lived in Thailand for 5 years. My request to speak to the manager on duty got rudely turned down. After all this time in Thailand this was the first time I encountered such a shocking behavior in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I did not sleep here but stopped here for a quick beer after beach time.
I must have been there tops a couple of hours and when I left bar/restaurant I couldn't find my flipflops.
At first I thought I might have misplaced them but, no. Some cheap person had pinched them (real havaianas). it amazes me how someone is willing to pay a fortune to come down here and then has to resort to theft!
Anyway out comes the manager, Liu ( not sure about spelling) and says she doesn't know if they are the real ones she has not seen them. A poor excuse for a manager who tells me to pick some other shoes, I ask and what about the other person? And she just goes pick the ones which are similar to yours. It is dark and my hostel is far away and i'm not going bare feet. She promises she'll check up security camera and that's it. I ask for her contact info which she refuses to give.
I pop back next day and she is clueless as to who I am. Shoes have not appeared noone complainned about loosing shoes and as far as she is concerned everything is ok.
I clarify everything is not okay and I wish to issue a complaint arguing that it is there policy to take shoes off and they should be held accountable for their loss. She says there's no complaint form, noone above her and nothing I can do. At this point I loose my.temper her English keeps getting selectively worse and she only understands bits of.the.conversation, all pretence! I let her have a piece of my mind and let her know that i'm disgusted with the fact she hadnt offered to.buy me new shoes(the cheap imitation) but encouraged me to.steal someone elses shoes). That I did not believe her, how do you get away without a complaint form. She then said she would give me a 100b for new shoes and to leave shoes behind. I said I didn't know how much were the shoes and.she said she would.only.give me 100. I terminated discussion here and told.her I'd.post review on trip advisor, here it is. As I say I only stopped here for a drink but the lack of decency of manager puts me off from recommending it. Plus there starting price is 65 dollars and she.couldn't even.afford to.give me 200b for q pair of.shoes?

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for five nights at the end of our trip. Seashells resort looked lovely from the outset - a big swimming pool, a nicely decorated reception area and an adjoining restaurant facility overlooking Sairee beach. Unfortunately, Seashells resort did not live up to expectations. The air conditioning in the room was the first to go - and despite a few trips to reception to try to rectify the matter it still never worked fully to keep the room at a cool temperature, next the lamp broke, the door handle and the remote for the television. The beds looked nice however the sheets were not changed once in the six days we spent here and there was an overall damp feel to the room. Another problem we had was our key cards stopped working on a daily basis - we had to queue up at reception to reset them every few hours. This is not a problem you should have while staying in a holiday resort. At the end of our stay we were told the charge would be an extra 100 baht per person to check out later than 11 o' clock. When we got to reception to pay, the manager insisted that we pay 1000 baht for staying until 1 o' clock. She was rude and hostile towards us, threatening to keep our passports if we didn't hand over the money straight away. Koh tao is such a beautiful island - I am 100 % sure you will find somewhere nicer to stay on the island for the same price and with nicer hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here with some friends for 5 nights, and booked the pool side rooms. The rooms were spacious, bathroom nicely cleaned, and the interior created a comfortable atmosphere. The only thing negative about the room was that we could hear the neighbours (the room just next to us) very loud and clear! We litterally could hear every word of their conversations. Luckily they were our travel mates, but this could have been really uncomfortable if they were people we didn't know...

The breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was delicious! There were everything you could want for breakfast, and it was clean. The only thing we missed were some fresh juice, not the lemonade with a lot of sugar in it!

The pool area was great! Nice and clean, and quiet. The whole resort was all in all very nice! But this is Thailand-standard, of course. This hotel would never have gotten 5 stars anywhere in Europe. Everything is a bit more dirty and smelly in Thailand. But with breakfast included in the price, and the good standards of the room made the stay very nice!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mari E
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spent there 4 nights. I selected it just because it was next to the diving center. Good value for money, great location but that's it. Staff are not very helpful, fan bungalow (we took the basic one) was very very basic, clean but needs some maintenance. You can hear the music from the bars at Sairee beach. Overall, i am sure you can find better in koh tao.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lampros B
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights while backpacking. For a backpacker it was luxury! However as a holiday maker there were a few mishaps. The room was very spacious and comfortable. We stayed in a 4 person family room. The bathroom and shower facilities were excellent however our sink would drain onto the bathroom
Floor and not properly down the drain due to a crack/hole in the pipe. The bed was extremely comfortable however in the 4 days we were there the sheets were not changed. We had a few problems
With our room key not working which is not ideal as you have To walk a few minutes back to reception to reset the room keys. This happened 3 or 4 times and for some reason our door did not lock from the outside without using our key. Staff were averagely friendly but spoke little English. There is wifi in the hotel lobby but you have to pay to have it in the rooms. This was no real loss for us as while abroad it is quite nice to get away from the constant contact with social networking. Breakfast was pretty poor. There was limited choice and everything was cold. We thought at first that it was because we had arrived late but we came when breakfast started one day and it was the same. I probably would stay again as the shower was nice but it was nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2013