All reviewsbeach sideaccommodationislandnightlifecourses
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after a lonely planner recommendation!
Where to start.... On arrival we were shown to a room! It was not the room we had payed for and we complained! The staff were rude and not interested even tho we had paperwork! They basically said like it or go somewhere else!
The pool is dirty and is used by the divers!
The breakfast is ok but the restaurant has flies, dirty toilets and poor service.
The BBQ in the evening looked good but the chicken was raw!
We only stayed 3 nights the. Decided to move on we asked for a taxi at 930. We checked out at 9.25 but it took 10 mins to check the room so the taxi left! They didn't tell us it was there and then blamed us! Again the staff were rude and basically said go to tele main road and sort it out yourself!
Overall poor poor poor and very rude staff! I don't recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Greenseahorse1
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights. We were suppose to stay here for three, but after one day we had enough and decided to go back to Koh Samui the next day, instead of staying at Seashell resort!

Our room was not clean and it smelt really bad. The closet was broken and there was a small hole in the roof in the bathroom, which they had stuffed with a piece of paper!

The pool looked ok. It was a bit dirty. We didnt try it out, because the pool was full of divers almost all the time. So we just went to the beach instead, which was much better!

The "garden" was very bad. It was full of garbage.

The breakfast was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. The restaurant was full of flies and the first day at breakfast the personal of the restaurant was playing with a stray dog while serving food.

The people in the reception must either be stupid or hate their job really much. We asked the reception to arrange a trip to this small Island just next to Koh Tao, which they "did". I think they forgot to arrange the whole thing. We were sitting in the reception the next day for two hours waiting for the taxi they "had" arranged for us. I dont remeber the name of the Island, since we never got there. But it looked really beautiful on the pictures!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morten A
Reviewed August 17, 2012

First the good points:
The hotel rooms were really comfortable and modern (we stayed in a new building). There was an infinity pool right outside our rooms and the beach was just beyond. Really beautiful and stunning photo opportunities at sunset. There was also another larger pool with more loungers in the part of the hotel across the road which was a bit quieter.

Unfortunately,for me anyway,there were far too many negatives about this place.
The main one being the attitude of most of the staff members we encountered during our stay. We were shown to our rooms by a very surly lady, who looked at us as if we were at fault when one of the aircon remotes was missing. Even though we'd just arrived in the room!

We discovered a used soap from the previous occupants of the room, just left next the sink, which had obviously not been cleaned properly. In fairness the rest of the room was well cleaned. I had to go up to reception to ask for toilet paper as all that was left in the room was half a roll from the previous occupants.

The first night we could only get scalding water in the shower so we were unable to shower after being at the beach all day. There was steam billowing out of the bathroom, it was burning hot, with absolutely no cold water, even in the bathroom tap. I went up to reception twice to ask what was going on, and was fobbed off with 2 different stories and not even any kind of apology or iota of understanding. The attitude was just "so what". I overheard other people complaining about this too. This attitude continued throughout the stay and there were constant queues of unhappy looking people at the reception.

It would be a long stretch to call the place to eat here a restaurant. It looks like any beach bar around Asia. I've eaten in a lot of nice beach bars, but they don't advertise themselves as restaurants in a 4 (or maybe the board outside said 5) star hotel. The staff just wandered around avoiding people trying to order. We ate here twice and our food arrived at various stages over 40 minutes, I ended up just cancelling a drink order at one stage because I'd been waiting over 20 minutes. The toilet in there was absolutely disgusting. One of the dirtiest I've seen in a month of travelling around SE Asia. I used it and then ended up going back to my hotel room to wash my hands properly! The place was crawling with flies, they were constantly all over the food.

The food we ordered for lunch was ok, but breakfast which was included was very disappointing. By 10:00 one morning there was very little left, and we headed down there when it opened at 8:30 the next morning. There weren't any covers for the fruit, yogurt etc and the place was infested with flies. We had to take turns fanning plates if one of the group wanted to go up for any food, to keep away the flies.

We had booked a taxi to take us to the pier for the 9:30 ferry sailing, and the hotel insisted they couldn't book one before 9. We were waiting at reception from about 8:45 and groups were leaving in taxis the entire time. When it came to our turn the 5 of us were brought out to a open back truck/ute and sat in the back, just about room for us all and our bags. Then they brought out 4 more people with their luggage and tried to squash them in. The open back of the truck was very low slung, and we were already holding bags in our laps. The driver kept trying to put somebody else's huge suitcase across us, even though we only had one free hand at this stage. He shouted at us when we refused because we felt it wasn't safe. I actually took photos of the amount of bags piled on top of us it was so chaotic.

We were very late arriving at the ferry, among the very last people on, and stressed out because of the rudeness and delays. We were dumped off in the middle of the street with a lady from the hotel shouting at us to hurry up that we were causing a traffic jam!

Whoever owns this hotel really needs to step in and sort out how the place is run. The discrepancy between the rooms/pools and the attitudes, "restaurant" etc was crazy. I'd have given the rooms/pools 4 stars but the staff and "restaurant" barely merit 1. The only staff member who was any bit nice during the stay was the man working at the pool bar, so fair play to him for being so good! We paid about 50 euro a night each which is the most we'd paid anywhere, so it was very disappointing to have this experience.

The rooms, pools and location are the only reasons I would recommend this place, but on all other counts I'd say save your money and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bookworm79
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Located right at the Sairee beach which was good. Tiny tiny rooms with poorly working toilet and shower. The pools where really dirty and the breakfast service was totally disgusting with lots of flies flying around. If it weren't for the location I would have changed hotels

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Everstin
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Spent two nights at the seashell "resort" and was a bit disappointed. I read the last few reviews before booking it and knew that there had been some reforms. The work it is still going on. They seem to be trying to transform the whole resort and try to make it more luxury and less backpack.
The new buildings (3 for what I could see) are the "better accommodation". The newest of them all is right by the beach and it has sort of semi infinity pools out of the balconies of the ground floor rooms. I wasn't allow to swim on this pools even though I was staying at the resort. This pools were only for the people on those rooms... Ok.
The restaurant food is good... The service is dreadfull. They stand at the bar smoking and picking their noses (literally) and don't even acknowledge the fact that one is sitting at a table. After waving and waving they eventually come and throw a menu on your table... And so on and so on
I am giving it 3 stars because the rooms (new buildings) are nice and the place is quite nice too. The main pool is ok and the service at the front desk is ok too. Internet is free in the lobby (ok for checking mail and Facebook as wifi is not terribly strong).

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo