“Surprised by the bad reviews”

Seashell Resort Koh Tao
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We walked in from the beach and were shown to a nice room for a reasonable price so were surprised when we later saw the reviews.

The room was big, had TV and good AC. The bathrooms could do with a refresh as they were a bit tired but clean and no suspicious smells.

The pool was nice and there were plenty of loungers, maybe the water was a bit grubby, probably because of the diving lession that were happening there.

Great dive school, really professional.

Restaurant was good.

One issue we had was the free wifi only works in the Lobby, would be better if it worked in the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cattykit

Reviewed November 8, 2011

I absolutely cannot understand why this lovely resort is placed on last position for hotels in Koh Tao!
As for Sairee Beach this is probably the best accommodation, considering location, quality, facilities and price.
We like it so much we extended our stay 3 times!

This isn't backpacker pocket friendly resort but it's not too expensive either. We stayed in a Poolside Villa (booked through booking.com) at around 48 euro a night. Of course you can find cheaper places, but we were looking for something nice...

Location Location Location! - I don't think you could get any better! It's just in the middle of all things happening and yet incredibly quiet for a good night sleep. It's almost on the beach (there are no beach hotels in Sairee, as there is hardly any beach at all - very narrow strip), you can see beach and sea from the swimming pool, it's literally few steps away. We thought of Sea Shell as oasis of peace and beauty, but if you don't like parties, loud music and young people having fun you may want to avoid Sairee Beach all together. We loved it.

The hotel grounds are very pretty - palm trees and green shrubs with flowers all over the place. One of the nicest and biggest swimming pools on Sairee (you can actually swim in it, not just take a plunge) - great area to chill out with your book after early morning dives. There is also a jacuzzi beside swimming pool and Spa. All beds have umbrellas so you can put them up if looking for some shade.

The Spa is more of a massage place than a standard European Spa but it's really nice with great staff and well priced - same as street spas. We used it quite few times - the girls were lovely and very caring, doing a Thai massage they would still attend to any burns or wounds or mosquito bites you may have. Be aware - Thai massage is only for those who like pain of being stretched and a strong massage - my hubby wasn't too happy when I booked him one and choose to have oil and aloe vera massages after that, on the other hand I really enjoyed it!

Our room was rather small for Thai standards but it didn't really matter as we weren't spending much time there at all. The bathroom was nice, no mosquitoes, hot water and strong shower pressure. We lost hot water for a day but once informed reception of the problem it was fixed immediately. The villas aren't very private, as each have 2 rooms and (locked) interconnecting doors between them, you also share a terrace. In our case this wasn't any problem as we visited Koh tao in low season and had somebody staying in next room only for 2, maybe 3 nights. The bathrooms are wet rooms – when you take shower don’t leave anything on the floor as it will get wet, the bathroom floor tends to flood. (This isn’t a problem or anything unusual – the rooms are raised higher so water won’t get into your bedroom). The rooms had AC and fan, so you could choose to use both or AC or fan only. The negatives - no safes in the rooms (but you can use safes at the reception) and our room (406) didn't have a wardrobe. Not big issues really.

The breakfast isn't great, but it's not too bad either. I actually enjoyed fresh fruit and yoghurt, besides there are many places to grab a bite around!

We really enjoyed our stay in Seashell and would come back, but everyone looks for something different, therefore I strongly suggest not to book any accommodation for duration of all your stay specially in low season, get yourself something for first night (Seashell!) and then walk, have a look around other hotels, resorts, huts and get what you really like and where you like it! And compare prices with online booking websites - we saved 10 euro a night going with booking.com

Room Tip: just ask staff to show you rooms, they all tend to be slightly different.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed at Seashells as part of our tour group and got upgraded from the mutli-storeyed block of rooms to a bungalow near the pool. These are actually duplex rooms with a shared deck and a thin door seperating them. I think we were very lucky with our room as we had comfortable beds, a great bathroom, and noone in the room next door.

Others in our group, however, had beds that were so hard they couldn't sleep; no working hot water; and one bathroom was arranged so that the shower hit the toilet & if you sat on the toilet then the door whacked you hard on the knees if you someone tried to open it from the room.

I will say this for it though - at least you could put a sign on your door saying you wanted your room serviced. We stayed at one place in Koh Pha Ngan that didn't and in the tropical heat you really want that toilet bucket emptied each day!

The pool was nice but was taken up at one end by divers who were using that instead of the dive pool. There was stagnant water as a 'landscaping feature' by the pool that was covered in mosquito larvae. One of our friends sat by the pool for ten minutes in the evening and her back was covered in mosquito bites - very uncomfortable.

There is wifi available in some rooms if you pay for it. There is free wifi in the Common Room/Reception area which is comfortable to sit in.

Breakfast was not included but we found the best place to go was Heaven Bakery/Cafe which is only a few minutes away and opens shortly after 7am.

The beach is okay but there are lots of boats parked on the beach/5-10m out so this was definitely not the best beach I visited on my travels.

There are lots of shops and places to eat/drink near the resort but it seems aimed at the drunken young 20s crowd. The only people that we saw (apart from behind a shop counter) were young white tourists and most places offer extended Happy Hour bargains plus frozen cocktail buckets late into the night. There is no real sense here of being in Thailand and there are certainly no street kitchens and no options to 'eat where the locals eat'.

I'm sure in high season it's a great place to come and party if you're young but it's far from a 'genuine' experience of Thailand.

Room Tip: Check the room first to see if the beds are comfortable and the bathroom has a logical layout.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2011

In my profession as a coachdriver I stay overnight approximately 250-280 days in hotels all over Europe, I've been traveling in many countries for over 35 years and I really never get tired off it..I also know due to my profession how ignorant and shortminded some travellers can be, take time to reflect about some of your own shortcomings before complaining.
I must say, I'm surprised that the ratings of this hotel are so poor, this is definitely a resort I will return to, very pleasant staff, always close by and willing to accommodate you in any possible way of service.
Clean rooms, and the closeness to the ocean is definitely a plus.
Customers witch can't appreciate a nice resort and good staff should stay home!!
A smile and maybe a some patience will get you lot further in most cultures.
This being my first visit to Thailand, my impression of this country and it's people makes me want to return many times in the future and visit more diving sites and resort.
Witch I hope will keep the same standards as this resort has..
Keep up the splendid work!!
I'll be back one day!!
Kenneth Franck

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We asked for a room directly at the hotel reception and they offered us a very expensive bad room, that we refused; walking down the street to the Internet cafe we made it to book a pretty good room for a fair price!
Location is very good, and the general Feeling at the end wasn't bad!
Attitude is not their strength point, especially if you come from Samui as we did...

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We found this hotel by driving past on our moped- do not be fooled by the grand entrance and the added stars on the board outside, it was horrendous!
The room was big but very very dated, the bed had no quilt or sheet to get under, just a throw over that was thin and uncomfortable. The bathroom had seen better days and i kept my flip flops on while showering!! The windows were just netting and so it was hard to sleep as it was so loud outside.
The pool area was quite nice but the pool was so warm it was like being in a bath.
On the upside if you are a lone traveller there are plenty of bugs and mosquitoes to keep you company!

Room Tip: Do not stay near the main road.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This resort comprises of a brand new reception and pool area and a lovely restaurant on the beach (which does the most amazing barbeque's). We were pleasently suprised when we arrived at the location.

The accomodation (bungalows) are not quite up to the same standard as the rest of the resort. They are of course perfectly fine and do the job intended and this is the kind of accomodation most travellers expect to see in thailand, especially if travelling on a budget.

We really enjoyed our stay here and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Koh Tao is in my opinion the nicest of the Thai islands, and the least touristy. I would definately recommend this resort to other budget travellers.

The only downside to our stay here (apart from me breaking my ankle...) was the noise at night from nearby clubs,which it made it almost impossible to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple