“Lovely Place. Perfect For Couples”

Dusit Buncha Resort
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We visited this hotel as we had to find new accommodation when we got to Koh Tao. We were greeted with a smile and all of the staff were helpful and polite. The rooms are very spacious, clean and charming. The setting is absolutely romantic. It is perfect for honeymooners or couples wanting to feel privacy and serenity. The views are great and the location is perfect as it is close to all the main spots. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms are clean. The outdoor lounging areas are perfect for relaxing and reading a great holiday novel. We really liked this place and would have stayed here except that we felt it was more for couples or families with older children. It is built on a steep area so we did not think it would be a good choice with our small child. There were quite a few steps and hills and we were informed by the staff that the beach disappears at high tide. But if it was just my hubby and me I would have highly considered staying here. The prices are also reasonable. Also, if you do not hire a quadbike or motobike during your trip to Koh Tao then this is a perfect resort for you as it is close by everything but still secluded enough to feel like you have escaped it all. It is literally a few minutes away from some of the top dive/snorkel spots on Koh Tao so it is in the best location for that. I would reccommend this resort to everyone!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
DusitBuncha84360, Guest Relations Manager at Dusit Buncha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Hello
Just wanted to say thanks for writing such a positive review about our resort and sorry that you felt it wasn't suitable for your young child.
Hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Dusit Buncha Resort

Reviewed January 23, 2012

We had a great time at Dusit Buncha. Very nice service, beautiful location with view over Nyan Yuan island (a bit far from the city, but with free shuttle and help with taxi ordering it went okey) and great laundry service (50 baht per kilo). We got a room upgrade to a reduced price, which was very nice! The only negative thing may be if you have room on the hillside (which we had first night) there's a steep walk up to the room!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACorell

Hi there,
Just wanted to say thank you for your review you posted about Dusit Buncha Resort, we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you again soon.

Many Thanks

Reviewed January 3, 2012

on the reccomendation from my freinds I opted to stay in this resort. Though there was lil confusion in my date and time of arrival at resort, the hotel Manager Anex was courteous enough to extend his cooperation and I must thank him for going extra miles to accomodate me.

I would jighly reccomend Room No 109 for nature loving people like me. the view is splendid especially during sun set. One can experience the real beauty of nature sitting in the room.

My most memorable experience was the courtsey extended by Resort staff and they were always ready to serve us the best. ( very courteous people indeed)

they did take care of my special requests even in odd hours.

it will be incomplete without the mentioning of Sunset Restaurant. during my three days stay at resort i relished all kind of cousins and its worth it.

Thank you Feddie for playing my Tune. ( Feddie became my freind)

I would still advise the resort management to change the TV in room and bring some latest models. I missed my home TV.

Over all a nice experience, good food and beautiful location.

My another reccomendation is to improve their laundry services and make it as prompt as the other services are.

I would surely like to go back again and enjoy the sunset. !! Feddie ofcourse your singing too...

Room Tip: Ask for Sunset villa
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi Ranjeet,

Thanks so much for your positive review of our resort, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you again some time soon. Freddie is sill with us also, and would be more than happy to sing you a few more songs over dinner!

Many Thanks

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We travel quite a lot and this was the worse hotel experience we ever had.

We decided to trust the good reviews and booked a three night stay here.

We got allocated room 106, and were initially amazed by the size of the room and the views on Nang Yuan. However, we quickly realised some major faults: the room and bathroom were not cleaned properly, there is no wardrobe so you cannot hang your clothes anywhere, we had to lay them out on a spare bed (we got lucky there was one), and that was far from ideal. There is no hair-dryer / no telephone in the rooms either.

The doors to the balcony are quite flimsy and do not close properly, leaving gaps in between. On the second night we got woken up around 1am by a "munching" noise, we turned the light on, and to our surprise we saw a large rat standing on top of one of our suitcases. We could not even call reception as there is no telephone in the room, we had to scare the rat off (which was not an easy job) and eventually managed to get it to leave (through one of the gaps in the balcony door).

We had to run up to reception to inform them of what happened, but the staff on duty spoke very little English and could barely understand what was going on. Eventually, he managed to force the doors a little closer to minimise the space in between and prevent the rat from coming back. About an hour after the incident, we got woken up again by heavy scratching noises, the rat was back for more, and it was trying hard to eat its way in through the door. Again, we had to scare the thing off by kicking the door very hard. By 3am we had not one, but three rats scratching at our doors from different angles - bathroom door, main door and balcony door. It felt like a horror movie, we could not do anything as we were quite scared of opening any door, we were basically trapped in our room, hoping the rats did not manage to get in from anywhere.

After a very stressful night, we went to speak with the manager in the morning and he confirmed that they do have a rat problem in our room (which made us wonder why did they even put guests in that room in first place). Looking more carefully, we realised that there are evident signs that they are fully aware of the issue, all doors in the room are badly damaged by the rats, and the balcony doors have been repaired with metal).

Although we were very tempted to leave the hotel altogether given the awful experience, the manager insisted to move us to a new room and offered to refund us for the second and third night. We decided to stay, the new room was ok (i.e. no rats), but all in all not a five star as they claim (more of a three star)

If you decide to stay here, avoid room 106!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janedoe81

Hi there

We are very sorry that your stay at Dusit Buncha Resort was not satisfactory.

We have reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue you mention above. In addition, we are re-evaluating our inspection processes to ensure these type of issues do not occur in the future.

I am happy to let you know we do now have wardrobes in each of the rooms. We have also employed English speaking staff to ensure that issues like the below can be cleared up as soon as possible.

Again, we are terribly sorry that your first experience with Dusit Buncha was not a good one and we do hope you visit us again.

Thank you for your feedback - we do really appreciate it as it helps us to improve and provide a better service to our guests.

Kindest regards

Gemma

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had an ok experience at this hotel but I don't think we'd go back again. We stayed in the junior suite, which is a nice enough arrangement for a family with 2 separate bedrooms and an adjoining outdoor terrace, but the fact that there was only one bathroom to share amongst all 6 of us was a major drawback. One of our bedrooms had some interesting natural rock features in it which made for a bit of a different experience. Otherwise, the rooms were just ok. The grounds of the hotel were interesting enough but not particularly pretty. The setting on the side of a steep hill made for good views but tough slogging up and down anytime you wanted to go anywhere--enough to be a nuisance with small kids and older folks. Service was average, but the staff (mostly Burmese) was extremely friendly and that helped gloss over some smaller points... The location is ok, on the far north of the island about 10 mins drive from Sairee beach. You really need your own transportation to avoid getting gouged by the taxis on the island--B100 per person one way to/from Sairee beach for a trip that would cost you maybe B60 in a Bangkok meter taxi. Good to know that the Koh Tao taxi mafia is alive and well! We ended up walking back from Sairee one evening and it took us about 25 minutes and up some pretty steep hills. Toward the end of our trip we discovered the snorkeling right out in front of the hotel and were pleasantly surprised by it--there does not seem to be much of an effort to point guests to it and for part of the time the weather was not particularly inviting. Breakfast was, again, average at best. So, we had a nice enough time, but there really was not much to distinguish this hotel in our point of view, other than the very friendly staff. We'll probably give another hotel a try next time we're in Koh Tao.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Firstly, I love my stay here!! I would love to stay for a month or more!!

We got free upgrade to Villa Deluxe Seaside. The view is breathtaking. We also did some snorkeling and it was good considering that it's just few meters away from our room. We could see variety of beautiful fishes but corals are still recovering from the white bleach last year.

Breakfast in Thai option is good and delicious. Thai food served at Nang Yuan Terrace-the hotel restaurant is quite good and seafood is fresh. Fish dish is strongly recommended.

The con is that there's no sandy beach at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I LOVED my time at this hotel. I do want to say that for those looking to leisurely bathe in the ocean for hours on end this is probably not the spot. But for those who have developed a sufficient sunburn elsewhere, or those who happen to be on Koh Tao when weather isn't very beachy, this is a great place to spend a few days and contemplate the meaning of life.

The sea views, in their multiple angles, are truly great. I actually found the layout of the resort to be very creative architecturally, as not only is it set among big boulders, but it's designed with those boulders in mind (no cookie-cutter Days Inn here!), and even incorporates these boulders into the structure of the buildings, protruding through the walls. The rooms are appointed very tastefully, in a zen-like fashion. My suite (#102) consisted of a bedroom, a separately standing sunroom/lounge, and separately standing bathroom. I actually enjoyed the separate bathroom, with an added benefit being that sewage fumes don't have a chance to ruin the air in the bedroom (the fumes proved not to be an issue at this hotel, but this tends to be a recurring problem in SE Asia). The sunroom, with a comfortable lounger, was an excellent reading/computer place where I could enjoy the elements with the windows open and the fan on, without having to fear mosquitos that come to haunt me at night. The staff is very accommodating, should something not be to your liking.

I considered giving this place a top rating, but the following less-than-perfect elements deterred me from it: Water heater in the bathroom isn't powerful enough to allow for a truly hot shower. While the main grounds are well maintained, the perimeter does have construction material and 'stuff' sitting around, which is visible from the property. The pool, while nice, is small and not as impressive as I would think a place without a great beach should have. The restaurant is overpriced, not only compared to eateries in town, but also comparing to other resorts on the island (based on 3 points of reference).

Overall, this is a really good place, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo