“Basic but comfortable, clean and affordable”
Review of Save Bungalows

Save Bungalows
Ranked #113 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Basic but comfortable, clean and affordable”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Cheap accommodation was hard to come by, by the time I got round to booking our three nights on Ko Tao. Knowing that our time spent on the island would be mostly outside, enjoying Thai paradise, we weren't too fussed about where we stayed and Save Bungalows proved to be the perfect choice for us.

Mr J greeted us in the friendly, happy, joking manner that he is renowned for on the island and made us feel very welcome. Our room was a very basic motel-type room which consisted of a bed, TV and basic bathroom with a Thai-style toilet and only cold water for the shower. For us this was absolutely FINE but I am pointing this stuff out for those travelers who require more from their accommodation. We had a room with a/c but found that the fan was all we needed really.

Mr J hired us a scooter, and was helpful and cheerful whenever we went to him for help with something. We chatted with him three or more times a day, shared jokes with him and he was a real laugh! Whilst out on a snorkelling trip we overheard our guide talking about Mr J and it turns out he is something of a colourful local character - which didn't surprise us at all.

There is a small restaurant at Save Bungalows which looked nice, we didn't end up eating there but plenty of others were. We did make use of the laundry service though which was cheap as chips - and awesome. There is a big general store attached to Save Bungalows, where Mr J works. Here you can get everything from water and snacks, to ferry tickets and scooters and......fireworks?!

All in all Save Bungalows contributed to what was an absolute dream stay on the magical island of Ko Tao. Sure it was basic, but it was clean, safe, secure and entertaining. We didn't go to Thailand to sit poolside at a resort or enjoy the luxuries of an expensive room, so Save Bungalows did the trick for us and we would definitely go back there. Especially to see Mr J!!

Room Tip: I would go for a bungalow next time as they looked really pretty with nice views, but the motel-styl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Liverpool
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Poor accomodation.
Poor treatment.
Cold water. No storage. Beds like concrete.
No refund as had to leave early due to the conditions of the accommodation.
No lighting to accommodation - fell over.
It's probably better to stay at home or sleep on the beach!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lolajay26

Travelers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were looking for affordable accommodation that was located near to the pier, Save Bungalows definitely ticks those boxes, but I can't say I will ever go back. The rooms were small, basic and the beds were not very comfortable. The staff were not too bad, I don't have any complaints about the service. We used the laundry once, it was affordable and done in time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were a little worried about not being able to find accommodation when we got off the ferry at koh Tao and so decided to book for 3 nights at save bungalows, having read reviews and been quoted 500 Baht a night when we called up to book a few nights before. We were told the room was booked for us, however when we arrived we were informed that that room had already been rented out and we had to pay extra for a room with a tv, which we didn't want at all. The room was tiny, full of bugs and the toilet didn't flush. On top of this, save bungalows is located miles away from all the good restaurants and bars in koh Tao, with very little to do in that area. We refused to stay more than one night and moved to much better and cheaper accommodation (with a swimming pool!) the next day. Do not stay here!

• Stayed January 2013
Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The bungalows were clean and in a beautiful location but the staff are enough to deter any future visits. Staff claimed that myself & other guests had intentionally broken a glass window slat, which we obviously did not. Even when staff verbally recognized that it was unlikely we were at fault for the damage, they still demanded we pay for it. There was a 500 baht key deposit that they would not give back and when we insisted that it be returned, they pulled their phone out to call the police. Thai police are best avoided; we relinquished the 500 baht and left.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HannahTurner
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

absolutely terrible service, and disgusting rooms.

i called 2 nights before and was able to secure a bungalow (1,200 for a dive) for 2 nights end of December. There are two owner counterparts, a male and a female. I believe they are tight with the renowned Mr. J, because when I originally called Mr. J, I was passed on to Save Bungalows.

When we checked into our room, the man was hailing yelling at new comers who just got off the ferry "YOU NEED BUNGALOW?" as we were in mid conversation with him...that was our first sign...since the whole island seemed to be booked up.

We were walked to our room, pretty basic at first glance, hot water, somewhat stained and old bed blanket, a fridge that was wet and moulding on the inside...but we thought we'd make the best of it.

After quickly dropping off our bags and heading out for the evening, we came back only to notice that the bed was INFESTED with ants...crawling all over the top, and inside the bed sheets. After inspecting, there was a crack in the floor that seemed to lead to a nest. Went to the bathroom, and the typical area where ants can be found on the sink were preset, but in the hundreds. Walked over to inspect the other side of the cabin, and oh, a completely different species of ants...these ones larger and black, crawling into a nest in the top left corner of the cabin, all over the wall...the floor...

So, I went to the front desk to request a different room, if not then the least to have our sheets changed and the matter dealt with. The owner simply laughed, and told me to "swat them" away. I said no, not for the price I was paying for. He spoke to the other thai lady for a few minutes in thai, as she was glaring at me. I insisted that for one, I was not happy with their reaction and that I was cutting my stay short to only this one night, requesting a refund. The lady stormed ahead of me to inspect my room, and as we were, she was saying "you call me worrying for room. i give you room and you complain and complain". Out of shock, I just kept following her, as she let herself into the room. She went to the bed and said "ONE ANT"..."TWO ANT"...went to the bathroom "THREE AUNT"...well...my boyfriend and I had just killed about a hundred. She said "YOU COME DOWN CRYING ABOUT THREE AUNTS I COUNT THREE AUNTS". The debate then got heated as I was flabbergasted with the lack of respect and terrible customer service I was receiving. Finally I said forget it, were checking out tomorrow. That's when she said no refunds...and that's when talk about tourism police came in and she shut right down.

Anyways, we slept the night, yes, with aunts crawling on us throughout the night...sleeping with the lights on.

When we went to check out the next morning, the owner gave us only our room key deposit back. My boyfriend said "and....the rest of our money for tonight's stay that were not staying anymore?" he said "we normally dont give refunds...." a few heated words, we got our refund, and got the heck out of there.

my best advice is dont panic and settle for this place....we wandered the island and found a guest house...and then a different bungalow (try Beach Bungalows beside Regal...500 baht a night yet no hot water, but very clean, and very friendly staff..and right on the beach to boot).

stay clear. its run by careless, disrespectful owners.

Room Tip: dont come here regardless...you will be disappointed when you see other accommodations for far less
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelfish1987
Seventeen Seventy, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at save bungalows for 3nights and had a good time. I stayed at one of the 250 b rooms, which they don't tell you about at first.
Since me and my 2 friends stayed there for 5 nights and had 2 rooms they agreed to lower the price to 200 B for us.
Our room was very clean, comfy bed and fan. Bathroom was outside. I have no complains and had a very good time there. If you end up staying there ask for the house special mixed fruit shake, it's amazing!!!
Oh and the best way to get around the island is by motorbike. I rented mine (manual gear) at Lucky Shop, just a few shops away for 100 b a day.

Room Tip: Ask for the 250 rooms if you want to save.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends