“Nice mid-range bungalow”

Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
California, USA
“Nice mid-range bungalow”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I started off my Thailand vacation in Ko Tao, primarily to do some scuba diving. They picked me up from the pier and shuttled me to the hotel (I must admit that the ride in the back of the pickup was one of the scarier moments of my trip). The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I had corresponded with them in advance to book my stay and would encourage doing so since there are a limited number of bungalows. The room had indoor shower and toilet, as well as a/c, which I guess makes it more upmarket than some other options (and you pay a little more for it). If, like me, you require a minimum level of amenities and have the budget then I would highly recommend. One thing worth noting is that if you are near the beach there is a beach bar (Fizz) just in front of the resort that plays music pretty loud until 2am. So it's a good spot if you are down for a little partying.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
manchester
Reviewed March 16, 2009

stayed at silver sands wtih three of my best friends and we had the time of our lives. The modern and stylish hotel was lovely and in a great location. All staff were friendly in particular the manager John, he was a top bloke who really helped us to make the most of our holiday. We cant wait to return!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed March 15, 2009

I stayed in this reasonably priced hotel for 18 nights and enjoyed the stay immensely! The manager John was always on hand for a friendy chat and local advice, the daily cleaners were discreet and incredibly thorough and the laundry service was cheap, efficient and quick.
The air-conditioned room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, a flat screen tv and a fridge. The hot shower was super efficient as was the air-conditioning.
The hotel is well positioned for the beach, dive schools, shops, bars, motorcycle hire, cash machines and restaurants.
My booking was made by a relative who currently lives on the island and I was very pleased that Silver Sands was their choice for my stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Having spent 5 days at Silver Sands in February whilst doing an Open Water Diver Course I am shocked and amazed to read the so far good reviews for this resort!
My girlfriend and I booked a dive course through Big Blue Divers and asked them for a/c accommodation up to a limit of 1500 baht (at the time £30.00 a night). We paid for the accommodation up front before leaving the UK so when we arrived to be confronted with a bungalow like something out of a Japanese prisoner of war camp we were extremely disappointed.
To further our annoyance the Manager intimated to my girlfriend that we had booked a fan room, this despite the fact there was a big A/C unit on the wall!! On checking our booking online I confronted the manager and stated that we had in fact booked an A/C room to which he smiled and pulled the remote control from his back pocket and said that he 'had forgotten' to give it to us at the time.
The interior was dire, decrepit furniture that a 12 year old wood work pupil would have thrown away, 2 awful beds with no top sheet and a flea ridden blanket that a stray dog would have been reluctant to sleep on! A TV that didn't work, a toilet that had a green piece of string as a flush and a tap that done more pirouettes than a ballet dancer before running water dribbled out. Not accommodation worthy of £30.00 a night especially when that was a subsidised rate for doing a dive course!
We spent one night in the room and woke up early due to the building work going on right behind our room and with numerous bites (no doubt from the blankets), We went to speak to the manager about changing rooms. When we spoke with him he had the cheek to ask what the problem was, I began to list the catalogue of issues with the room and he just sat there with an inane grin on his face before stating that he could provide us with extra sheets! We demanded a change of room and he mentioned there was a room in the hotel but it would cost an extra 500 baht a night to which we moved.
I would like to state that this in no way reflects my view of Big Blue Divers as throughout our stay on Koh Tao was excellent and I would recommend them to anybody wishing to dive on the island.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yobeel

Travelers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Reviewed March 9, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights at Silver Sands in a Bungalow about 30m from the beach.
The room, while basically furnished had everything we needed plus a few other luxuries thrown in - a refrigerator and TV!

The bungalow was clean and close to the beach and we had the pleasure of hanging out with manager John on our snorkeling trip - a really decent bloke who made an effort to help us get the most out of Ko Tao.

The beach is beautiful and we had some great food on the island - especially at 'Fizz', less than 100m away from Silver Sands. The resort also contains a lovely bakery 'New Heaven'

We paid 1100 THB for a fan bungalow - perhaps a little steep as we paid only 500THB on neighboring Ko Phangnan for a similar bungalow but can't complain too much as everything was perfect and by UK standards dirt cheap anyway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank creaturechaffe
manchester
Reviewed March 9, 2009

me and my partner travelled to the silver sands beach resort beginning of this year and it was a plesant stay for our first time in tailand. Newly build modern hotel with lovely spacous rooms and nice location to the beach, all staff extremly friendly and will do anything to help. loved it !

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kayleigh_smallfry_88
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Ko tao is an excellent island to visit in thailand and staying at Silver Sands made the short stay even more enjoyable. The ever reliable manager John was alway on hand for help and even when there were thousands of Swedes looking for a rom and were willing to pay over the odds to stay, he honoured our reservation and even gave us a discount.

The resort is at the north end of Sairee beach but close enough to all the action. A great bar at the beach which was only footsteps away.

I could not recommend more highly.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends