“Paradise, with a view(Just dont walk there)”
Review of Chintakiri Resort

Chintakiri Resort
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We travelled as a group of 8 recently, so finding accommodation that met all of our standards was always going to be tough. We had read a lot of positive reviews about this place, and took the gamble. It paid off. Arriving in Koh Tao by ferry, we were greeted by two jeeps, the resorts drivers, who lifted our heavy luggage without a second thought. Arriving at the resort, we met the infamous hill. Its steeper than you could have imagined, however the 4x4 jeeps all drivers on the island use are more than able to get you up there.

The resort itself was great. Beautiful views of the island, mixed with fantastic service and surprisingly very good food made for a great stay. The staff were lovely and really made our stay. No cocktail was too tough to make!

Expect to pay 100 baht each to get a taxi to Sairee beach(minimum of 400 baht per taxi). I would definitely recommend here to anyone who wants a quiet tranquil stay, with the best views, away from the hustle and bustle while still within an arms reach of the nightlife(albeit by taxi).

5/5

Room Tip: Ask for the highest up rooms available. The view is worth the price.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Churchy87

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our stay at Chintakiri was delightful in every way, we were met at the ferry and taken to the hotel by their taxi and met at reception with a welcome fruit drink and a warm smile.
Our room like most had an elevated position and therefore had a wonderful view of the bay below, the room was clean, comfortable and very spacious with a good shower.
The girls in the bar/restaurant were fantastic, always smiling and pleased to serve you with wonderful food or drinks.
The food was that good, we felt it was pointless trying to find any better.
The pool area although small, was a nice place to chill out and enjoy.
So a big thanks to all the staff and hope to return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hillhouse39
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked this hotel the day before arriving and still managed to stay for 3 nights at this beautiful place. We arrived via free transfer from the ferry port and were greeted with fresh cold apple juice and a fan aimed directly at us which was extremely needed after our hot and tiring journey! The staff were brilliant, the women who served breakfast and dinner were really friendly as was the main woman at reception and generally everyone at the hotel! The room was a lot more than we had expected and was incredible value for money with our balcony overlooking the island and beach nearby, the bedroom was accessible by some stairs leading from the hall and large ensuite and was decorated charmingly. The food at the restaurant and free breakfast was outstanding and priced equally to other restaurants on the island (so much so that we didnt bother going down the hill our last night to eat out and instead ate the delicious food at the hotel!) The hotel is set amid the tall hills of the island and has outstanding views of the jungle landscape and beaches. However there is a steep ish walk from the main road which was fine if you are reasonably fit and willing! The staff organised our ferry to the next place and recommended excellent nearby beaches for snorkelling. We had arranged a snorkelling day trip but sadly had to cancel very short noticed on the day as one of us had a very stiff neck yet the hotel staff were extremely accommodating and understanding and didnt charge us for the excursion. A fantastic hotel all in all, would come back in a second! Try the coconut shakes..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Emma S
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hillside villas at a wonderful resort overlooking shark bay. Restaurant Lounge and Infinity Pool look right over the bay. Great service - from pickup at the ferry to rooms and dinner to drop off to ferry.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Abe C
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’d like to start saying that the staff of the hotel is very friendly and kind. The views over the beach are breath-taking and even if the way up to the hotel is a little bit hard, the location is convenient.
However, an unfortunate incident happened during my stay that made me feel very disappointed of the hotel: one day I was standing by the swimming pool and suddenly the grating around it broke and I felt, hurting myself very bad. My leg was very scratched and hurt in several different points. The lady from the reception came with some disinfectant and bandages and cleaned it. And that was it, nothing else from the hotel.
They didn’t propose to look for a doctor or even a nurse; as I said it could have been even worse than it was and I could have broken my leg very badly.
I was very surprised that days passed by and I never received an official apology from the manager of the hotel (I don’t even know if they were aware of it) nor a goodwill gesture. Nothing, even if they saw me every day with my big open scar and limping.
I know that accidents happen and I don’t blame the hotel for this malfunction (even if at the end it is actually their fault) but I’m very disappointed of the very unprofessional and uncommercial way this situation was treated.

4  Thank GusM81
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After our not so great arrival in Koh Tao, staying at a different accommodation (that I will remain nameless), we were on a mad hunt to find an alternative place to stay. After pre-booking our accommodations months in advance, you can imagine our disappointment when we were in this situation.
After another search, we had made a few calls to Chintakiri Resort, the lady I spoke to was extremely helpful, however had mentioned they were fully booked. Already being on the island, we decided to make a walk to the hotel, to try our luck in person, as luck would have it, they had a night available a few days before we were leaving.

After our not so great start to the island, we were unbelievably relieved not only find lovely and very accommodating staff, but a beautiful room, with a beautiful view. The pool also looks over the stunning bay.

We got chatting to some of the other lovely guests, who also agreed that this was some of the nicest accommodation on the island, and the food was beautiful. I am one of those who love waiting a little for good food, as you know it is freshly cooked, and it was all in the taste. Absolutely delicious. Breakfast was also lovely, I notice that some complaints in previous reveiws that they do not offer a buffet, but I though the choices were enough, and plenty of food was offered also.

The ladies of Chintakiri were both lovely and smiley and very very accommodating!! Both Koi and Noon (I hope I have spelt correctly!) Were ever so friendly, and helped us out hugely on our last night in Koh Tao!

If ever we return to Koh Tao, this is where we will be staying, and any of my friends of family, I would highly recommend this Hotel! Helping making our trip a successful one! :)

Many Many thanks,
Nicola & Lani

1  Thank Nicolarwilliams
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ok so I warn you my review will be a long one......

We booked Chintakiri months and months in advance as we were meeting our friends there from the UK who we hadn't seen in a long while and wanted to make sure we were on the same resort. I then got pregnant which meant I would be 5 months pregnant at the time we were due to visit. Almost all the reviews had mentioned about the hill and I was slightly concerned being pregnant in the heat struggling up a steep hill, but thought I could deal with it when we get there. Anyway to make it worse one week before we were due to fly to Thailand I fell down some steps and broke my ankle. We debated cancelling the whole trip and I emailed the resort to explain about my injury. They were lovely and sent me pictures of the steps, walk ways etc and it was literally all steps!!! However we wanted to see our friends and the doctor gave me the all clear so we went....

From the very second we arrived at Chintakiri I knew I was in good hands. Oi (manager), Nun and the staff all greeted us a the front and helped me up the steps with my crutches. They raised their concerns and advised they would do whatever they could to assist. They had moved our room to the closest to the pool/restaurant area and Nun would be looking after me for our weeks stay. I cannot praise the staff at this place enough, they are the nicest most beautiful people and looked after me better than I could have ever imagined. The two girls in the restaurant (A and Sensen) have a smile all day long and nothing is too much trouble. They are lovely girls and enjoy a chat improving their english. Without the staff my stay would have been very hard and difficult but they really did go above and beyond to ensure I was safe and looked after.

The resort itself is lovely, beautiful views across the bay and a lovely pool/restaurant area. Not too big but enough. The atmosphere is chilled and relaxed and far better than a huge commercial resort with hundreds of people. being so high up it feels a world away from the busy diver filled resorts that surround Koh Tao and its super relaxing during the day. The rooms are really nice, private, huge balcony, basic but very clean and comfortable. One of the highlights for me though was the food. The food here is superb, fresh and very well prepared. Being a bit stranded I ate at the restaurant everyday and it was delicious every time. The breakfast is pretty basic but enough.

The resort is perfect for solo travellers/couples/families wanting a quiet laid back relaxing place that offers a real Thai friendly feel (party people look elsewhere!). Koh Tao is full of places for all budgets but I think it would be hard to find another like Chintakiri.

Now the Hill...Obviously I never had the pleasure/displeasure of walking up and down it but my partner and friends said it was a bit of a tough climb. They hired scooters one day and struggled. However they did say it was a small thing compared to everything else at the resort. I did venture out and the 4x4 taxis have no problem with the hill at all. They will also pick you up at the pier free of charge if you email them.

I would 100% recommend and stay at Chintakiri resort again and again and would like to thank all the staff that looked after me each day of our 7 day stay.

Room Tip: All have sea views but some have full bay views.