“A special place and a stay I will never forget.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chintakiri Resort

Chintakiri Resort
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Melbourne, Australia
“A special place and a stay I will never forget.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ok so I warn you my review will be a long one......

We booked Chintakiri months and months in advance as we were meeting our friends there from the UK who we hadn't seen in a long while and wanted to make sure we were on the same resort. I then got pregnant which meant I would be 5 months pregnant at the time we were due to visit. Almost all the reviews had mentioned about the hill and I was slightly concerned being pregnant in the heat struggling up a steep hill, but thought I could deal with it when we get there. Anyway to make it worse one week before we were due to fly to Thailand I fell down some steps and broke my ankle. We debated cancelling the whole trip and I emailed the resort to explain about my injury. They were lovely and sent me pictures of the steps, walk ways etc and it was literally all steps!!! However we wanted to see our friends and the doctor gave me the all clear so we went....

From the very second we arrived at Chintakiri I knew I was in good hands. Oi (manager), Nun and the staff all greeted us a the front and helped me up the steps with my crutches. They raised their concerns and advised they would do whatever they could to assist. They had moved our room to the closest to the pool/restaurant area and Nun would be looking after me for our weeks stay. I cannot praise the staff at this place enough, they are the nicest most beautiful people and looked after me better than I could have ever imagined. The two girls in the restaurant (A and Sensen) have a smile all day long and nothing is too much trouble. They are lovely girls and enjoy a chat improving their english. Without the staff my stay would have been very hard and difficult but they really did go above and beyond to ensure I was safe and looked after.

The resort itself is lovely, beautiful views across the bay and a lovely pool/restaurant area. Not too big but enough. The atmosphere is chilled and relaxed and far better than a huge commercial resort with hundreds of people. being so high up it feels a world away from the busy diver filled resorts that surround Koh Tao and its super relaxing during the day. The rooms are really nice, private, huge balcony, basic but very clean and comfortable. One of the highlights for me though was the food. The food here is superb, fresh and very well prepared. Being a bit stranded I ate at the restaurant everyday and it was delicious every time. The breakfast is pretty basic but enough.

The resort is perfect for solo travellers/couples/families wanting a quiet laid back relaxing place that offers a real Thai friendly feel (party people look elsewhere!). Koh Tao is full of places for all budgets but I think it would be hard to find another like Chintakiri.

Now the Hill...Obviously I never had the pleasure/displeasure of walking up and down it but my partner and friends said it was a bit of a tough climb. They hired scooters one day and struggled. However they did say it was a small thing compared to everything else at the resort. I did venture out and the 4x4 taxis have no problem with the hill at all. They will also pick you up at the pier free of charge if you email them.

I would 100% recommend and stay at Chintakiri resort again and again and would like to thank all the staff that looked after me each day of our 7 day stay.

Room Tip: All have sea views but some have full bay views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our one year old baby. The staff were so friendly and helpful. They would quite often look after our son so me & wife could eat diner in relative peace. Food at the resort is fantastic too, especially the home made pizza! The resort is located approx 200m up a steep hill but as long as u capable of walking u should be fine taking the slow walk up. A big plus is the resort being up a hill away from the bustling beach, with amazing views & sunsets over the bay

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have mixed feelings when reviewing the Chintakiri. The view from the hotel and rooms is the highlight, absolutely amazing. The food is above average although the breakfast selection after a few days got a bit old. The rooms are quite nice but don't expect them to compare with offerings on Koh Samui. Like Koh Tao itself, they are a bit rough around the edges and just not polished like on Samui or Phuket. But this is part of the draw of Koh Tao for some. Just be aware. A few things to consider, yes the hill is extreme but it can be walked in 5 minutes. If you have any physical challenges I would say go somewhere else. Rent a scooter in town, they are better quality. The staff were excellent when it came to booking things, use them.

All in all I would recommend the hotel but if you are coming from a 4 star in Bangkok or Samui don't expect the same level of polish.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views but get extremely hot. Air con turns off when you leave.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hopefullylost
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed in this resort for 5 nights in February and loved how quiet and isolated it was, up a very steep hill -i'm fit and I must admit that after the 2nd day, I was glad I had hired a scooter as no one really wants to climb this in a 34 degrees heat!
The reward of being so high up though are beautiful views on Chalok Bay that can be admired from everywhere- the terrace of your bungalow, the swimming pool and breakfast/bar area. This smalli'sh resort is tucked away amongst vegetation and rocks and has superb views and well kept little garden corners everywhere. Loads of insects beware but to be expected when in South East Asia, just close the doors when you have the lights on. The plus side of that is you also get to see huge amazing butterflies and tropical birds.
The service - done by 2 adorable Burmese sisters- is the best !! they are genuinely lovely and friendly and are always smiling despite working a 15hrs shift. The food is simple but good and freshly prepared - I would recommend their fruit shakes, just superb and so refreshing.
Breakfast is included in the rate and is very good - no buffet here, this is a boutique hotel.

Swimming pool has about 8-10 sun lounges, is very small but has amazing views. I would say it caters more for adults and couples, families with toddlers would not be very suited to the hotel or the the swimming pool area- it is a place to unwind and read a good book.
The bungalows are nothing luxurious but are lovely enough- powerful showers, comfortable bed. The only problem is the stiffling heat in there, you can't leave the AC on, it is always baking in there and the AC being right by the bed, it always blows on you all night - I really disliked that.

Another thing that in hindsight is funny ( although I wasn't too happy when it ocurred) is that I found one of gardener/maintenance guy ASLEEP on the small outside window of my bungalow, right by my shower and toilet. If I didn't have the curtains down, he basically could see me going on about my business in the bathroom! The Thais have a different sense of privacy than we do, so we can't really be annoyed when something like this happens, however just beware and keep the bungalow's curtains down at all times when you shower/use the loo.

Due to the small size of the resort, it's very friendly and all the guests ended up knowing each other and chatting over the beautifully prepared cocktails in the evening whilst admiring the sunset.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Gouda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The resort is located on a hill and although other reviewers explained that it was a long walk uphill. What we didn't know, despite the warnings, it was harder than we thought. From the small town it'a a stiff 10 minute walk uphill and I have to admit with the heat it's not a pleasant walk.

The resort like the cottages and the staff are wonderfull. Our cottage at the right end of the resort was overlooking the bay and the view from our terrace was unbelievable. The cottage itself is not luxurious but it was clean, comfy bed, ok bathroom, terrace, tv and a small fridge.

Breakfast, included in the rate, is served near the pool. It's served outside so beware of bugs and don't expect a buffet because it's a la carte. You can choose from an american breakfast, yoghurt, fruit, boiled eggs and good coffee. For us it was more than enough and all fresh.

The swimming pool is small but with a good view.

The staff are the kindest people and they help you with all kind of trips, tips where to go etc. They arranged a private boat for us and booked our tickets to the other islands.

Our only complain is that the cleaning staff shutdown the cottage airco during the day. It's a bit unpleasant when you come home and your room is not cool.

We will be back for sure.

• Stayed February 2013
Lasko, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I searched very long time for a type of accommodation where I would just enjoy a bit of tropical paradise which I did not see before. I was aware that Koh Tao is more busy more popular destination where there is more people in comparison to so smaller and more remote islands. I was a bit afraid about that as I do not like to be in the busy town type or tourist industry places and I always some laid back and not so busy places. When coming to Koh Tao from Chumphon with Lomprayah speed boat I sensed that I was not wrong. Boat was tucked with people all in the desire for different kind of sea side activities. Staff from Chintakiri waited for us at the pier and provided a free ride to the resort. All the comments about the steep access are true. It is definitely among the steepest roads I ever drove. But that is not a turn off. It is more of a good thing as not so much people will walk up there so you will have a feeling you are on more secluded bay. First thing that strike me the most was the view you get from the restaurant. I said yes that is it and even better. Bungallows are well kept and all was in perfect order, clean and in fully working condition. A view from the bungalow over the bay is spectacular and you can enjoy the view in the late evening for nice colors and small boats activity in the bay itself. Place is very peaceful and quiet. You will enjoy the stars during the night and you will see small fishing boats in the distance.
Breakfast in resort was provided but is more of less consisted from app. 5 choices from the menu so you don't have so much things to choose from. If you stay 5 days here you will certainly survive but after that things would definitely start to repeat a bit too much after that. Breakfast is big and you will have it enough to get you going for the day. We also tried dinner here and I have to say that their restaurant prepare very delicious food. Tried maybe 3 restaurants in by the sea area of Chalook bay but I have to say that the best experiences I had was with Chintakiri. Prices in the restaurant are normal, just a bit more expensive that in down area but not too much that you will feel it in your pocket. Anyway quality and taste was to remember.
Staff is very attentive and very polite, I believe a lot of workers are also coming from Myanmar. Chintakiri can arange also different kind of trips and price is the same as if you book it anywhere else. Good thing is they will come for you and drop you off here.
Place is mostly popular with younger couples generation, some flashpackers and younger families with kids. It is definitely not a party place. You need to go for Saree if you are up for that. I also do not recommend this place for people who are not fit. But if you do sports just a little bit you will not find a trouble to do this hill up and down even 3 times per day if necessary.

Bungalows are constructed very smart assuring the private space. Also small swimming pool is very good addition to this place. First a view from it is great, you have cold drinks very near, there is a jacuzzi on a press of a button in it and sometimes you have it for yourself.
This side of the island is quiet but still offers some nice walks to beautiful beach. For me the best was Freedom beach. I also went to some peak there with a great view over the bay from a different perspective. It is a bit of a jungle walk to there but it is worth it.
Chintakiri also has a small library with nice selection of some great magazines where you can get some tips for your next travels, offering some games. They also have free DVDs to rent if you need it for some quiet evening. Wireless is working only around the restaurant and pool area but for me that was sufficient as I wanted to stay more or less unplugged during my stay there.
Staff was also so nice that they drop us at the pier free of charge. What more could I ask? Thanks to all the staff at Chintakiri, we had a very memorable stay with you and see you again in some future time.

Room Tip: The higher the bungalow the better the view I guess. But even the lower superior bungalows offer gre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a lovely resort overlooking a charming bay and beach. Don't let the steps intimidate you if healthy. The rooms are charming, the restaurant is excellent, and the service is superb. Can't say enough about the staff. Very accommodating, and you won't meet any better the Moon (manager) and the girls who work in the restaurant. We stayed 2 nights but wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family