“Not Good!”
Review of Blue Wind Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Blue Wind Resort
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Australia
“Not Good!”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Dissapointing, great location, rock hard beds, unfriendly staff & the place needed a lot of work done to it. The food isnt bad at the bakery, although it isnt really a bakery.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed at the Blue wind only for one night as the only night spent there was a nightmare. We took a bungalow for 600 bahts.

It was really small and there were dead flies everywhere. The place was also really smelly and the mattress really uncomfortable. I wonder if they ever cleaned this bungalow. A few hours after going to bed I woke up because of bites on my back and arms. As I turned on the lights I saw bedbugs in the bed hiding under the pillow. There was no one at the reception at night and I had to stay the whole night in this horrible bungalow.

When the next morning I went to the reception, the guy there had absolutely no idea what were bedbugs and didn't care at all. I wonder if he could actually speak English... I asked to talk to someone else but the answer was no. It was also impossible to talk to a manager. I asked to change the room and to get a discount after what happened but again the answer was no. It's only when I stayed at the reception telling all the people coming that there were bedbugs that they finally gave me some money back. The situation was quite tense and I got insulted by the lady working at the restaurant.

I would absolutely not recommend this place as the people there are unfriendly, it is dirty, full of insects and other bugs and the way they treated me was absolutely not professional. You'll find better places in Ko Tao with a better service and much better rooms for the same price so don't go to the Blue Wind!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2010

After all of the meh reviews of the place, and the fact it was listed in the "budget" section of Lonely Planet, I didnt have high expectations of the resort. When I arrived on Koh Tao, every place was booked solid, leaving me no choice but to go with the room Id booked that morning at Blue Wind over the telephone.

Im beyond thrilled with this room! For 800B, I have a brand new condo-like apartment, with hot water, tv, king sized bed, tiled floors, and a fan. Sure it isn't as quaint as the bungalows, but considering how crap the reviews are of those, I dont think I would have been happy in one.

The resort has an onsite restaurant, with shady gazebos with axe cushions and low tables, right on the beach with free wifi (where Im writing this from, in fact!). With internet cafes charging 20b for the first 10 minutes, then 2b/min after that, this is a wonderful surprise. The wifi doesnt work in the rooms though, which is a shame, but beggars cant be choosers.

The only negative comment I have is over one of the staff here, a lady who is rather surly. She isnt enough to ruin your stay here, but it is a little bit of a downer to know that no matter your conversation with her, she comes across as though you are a massive imposition to her day. Otherwise the staff here are amazing and nice.

In addition to the restaurant, the hotel has onsite laundry (40b/kg) and a yoga salle.

Im staying here for a week on this trip, and wouldnt hesitate to come back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We stayed at Blue Wind for 4 nights and had a good stay. The bakery is great, free WiFii (when it works) but horrible service... but what's the rush anyways??? They have a large range of accomodations from 300BHT older bungalows to 1400BHT new bungalows... we stayed in a buliding room for 800BHT, no a/c and a few misquitos but all priced accordingly. They have a brand new yoga shala with great teachers at 300BHT. The location is great, just a few minutes walk from the main part of Sairee Beach where all the action is.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Our bungalow was pretty terrible for the 400 baht we paid. To sum it up shortly, there was a one foot lizard living in the hut and we evacuated promptly after spending one night. The staff is rude and almost seems to hate their jobs. The food was very good at the bakery, but you have to wonder if the snotty employees are spitting in it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Blue Wind is a great hangout on Sairee Beach. It's got a huge wooden terrace with lounging cushions, good music and nice food. It's very popular and it's very easy to spend the whole day on the terrace of Blue Wind without even seeing the time pass.
The staff is not that great. There is one guy, Win, and one girl, I don't know her name, who are very sweet and smiling. All the others are totally indifferent, cold, apathic and unwilling to serve the guests. They seem to hate their job and hang around lazily, waiting for the day to be over. We spent 10 days there, and they still showed no sign of recognition!

As for the rooms/bungalows: we tried the second cheapest ones, at 800 baht. They're nice from the outside, but very basic and small, not worth 800. Our neighbor had a family of cockroaches in his mattress.
There is also quite a lot of noise from the next door Beach Bar.
The more expensive bungalows are always full, but they're not that much better. Then there are aircon rooms at 1300. They're big and have a TV but everything is worn down.
If you want your room cleaned, you specifically have to ask for it, otherwise they don't. You don't get clean towels and sheet either.
Next time we came back to Koh Tao we chose another accommodation and just came to the Blue Wind Bakery and Restaurant to have drinks and food

By the way the yoga centre at Blue Wind is very good!

• Stayed July 2009
OSLO - NORWAY
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Beutiful located on the beach. And very nice atmosphere on the beach, when it gets dark
They have their own bakery there..
But the room really smells ! Old , dirty [---] .... MOLDE !
We stayed for 3 nights - becouse we could not find anything else in Koh Tao. And the price here was low .
They did not clean the room when we was there.
Horrible hard beds . Aunts evrywhere and in the food . And it was sad - that there was so many aunts around the food- because that was really good. Until there was 1 billions flies all over it .
Dirty on the floors and in the bath. No soap, even in the toilet. We had to buy cleaning stuff on a 7 eleven - and clean ourselfs ! To manage to survive there.
And a guy / man / owner got angry - if you asked for a towel ! We were 4 ! And the kids was swimming all the time - so we really needed some .. The girls staff there was very nice and friendly - with especially the kids
When we was leaving , they also said we had only paid for 1 night .. until we showed them the paid bill. for the 3 nights..Will never return here

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — so dirty and smellig ...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family