“My worst days in Thailand”
Review of Blue Wind Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Blue Wind Resort
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I have to be honest: I'd better book in advance next time. When I arrived in Koh Tao, I had some bad feelings and I wasn't finding a room anywhere. So, when I arrived here -as it was reccomended by my guide- I thought I was lucky.
They didn't give me a bungalow, but a room in a old building, dirty and full of mosquitos at night (normally I don't care about them, here they freaked me out). The staff was unfriendly and cared just about money. When I wanted to do a snorkelling tour (that was a good experience, not organized by them), they gave me no assistence when the operator were late.
This said, the restaurant of the beach is good, their staff is more friendly. Also, the bungalows looked good, so perhaps the main problem is they shouldn't give old rooms, or make pay them less.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I just stayed at the Blue Wind Resort for 4 nights in the 800 baht/night bungalow that is situated above the reception (room 35).

We arrived in Koh Tao without any booking and simply hired a scooter at the closest place at the pier where the ferry docked (180 baht / day). We rode our scooter straight to Saree Beach for a look around and door knocked a few places to check out their rooms. Prices ranged from 800 baht - 4800 baht. The Blue Wind was our 5th place we checked out and we took a quick look at the room and said yes.

I have read the other reviews and I can only assume they did not have a look at their room prior. I know that for 800 baht / night is a pretty reasonable price for our fan room.

- YES there are mozzies around the place and as usual they come out at dawn and dusk just like every other place in the world, get over it kids.
- YES there are some little ants that crawl around the place (we had a couple in our shower area) again this is pretty standard for living in the tropics.
- YES the staff do struggle to bust out a smile but I'm not sure why.
Anyway - the room itself was a decent size and the pedestal fan is more than sufficient to keep things cool under the mozzie net.
**Hot Tip ----> You can move the fan itself actually UNDER the mozzie net so that it does not inhibit the flow of air which is something some other reviewers could not seem to figure out.

The bed is a typical Asian hard mattress bed but we had no problems sleeping. The bathroom is 'wet floor' so the drain is in the corner next to the toilet, keep an eye on your shower aim and you wont soak anything as its still a decent size. All our doors locked up without any issues and we would open the side window/doors in the afternoon paired up with a mozzie coil and it was very pleasant. We were located above the bakery so there was a bit of crashing around in the mornings when the bread was being prepared but it did not really disturb us (earplugs are easily purchased at the 7/11 down the road if need be).

The room was not made up or anything but when we required more toilet paper and towels it was easy enough to pop downstairs and simply ask.

The restaurant is pretty decent, nice basic set up and the food was fresh and well priced. Wifi is available down there but not in your rooms. Good luck getting a smile or a laugh out of any of the staff without having to really push for it.

Location is great! Literally a 2 minute stroll down the road to the bars and restaurants, close enough to stroll but not too close to hear any noise from the bars etc. Apart from the occasional noisy ute with the speakers blasting out some crap about Thai elections we did not have any issues with noise.

Overall - this place suited us very well for our requirements. Basic accommodation and probably pushing it a bit to call it a 'Resort' but for the price we paid I was very happy with it all. I would come back to Koh Tao as its a great island and I would not hesitate to stay at the Blue Wind again in Bungalow 35.

Room Tip: New bungalows next to reception are the shot
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HAR0
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Koh Tao only planning on being there for a week. As is commonly the case on the island, it's possible to lose days swinging in a hammock and lying on the beach. This most certainly happened to me as I ended up staying for almost a month. I had the cheapest bungalow at the resort and yes there were cockroaches, Mosquitos, cobwebs and you had to manually flush the toilet but it was by far the cheapest bungalow on that part of the island and all I wanted was somewhere to sleep and be able to walk to the beach in less than 20 seconds. I certainly got this and more! The restaurant is lovely with fresh bread and cakes baked daily and the Burmese owners are absolutely delightful. It may take a few days for them to warm to you but they are certainly much more friendly than the Thai gangsters on the rest of the island. Also it's a fair comment that you have to ask for your bungalow to be cleaned but seriously it's not difficult to just ask for a towel when you need one and new bed sheets and DIY. I have given it 5 in all the ratings because its really worth staying here not only for the wonderful hosts but it's location. I spent many days swinging in my hammock overlooking the beach and it is far enough (5mins walk) from some of the noisier places that you can have a really good chillax here. Also they do movie nights upstairs in the restaurant and they let you chose what to watch and when you want to watch it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Ameiby1823
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review is based solely on the yoga studio. I have no comment for the resort itself. But I was walking by and saw signs for yoga. It was great. Its a nice and large studio with open doors on 2 walls. The instuctor Cynthia was great. It was a 2 hr session very doable for beginners but options to challange yourself.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank littlelola123
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've stayed at Blue Wind for 3 nights in december with a friend. We had one of the new (fan) bungalows with hot shower and paid 800 baht per night for the two of us.

Location was perfect, at te beach, with nightlife, restaurants and shops within walking distance (2 min). Yet far away enough not to be bothered by it.

Bungalow was very spacious and clean, no comments there.

Reception, and therefore acces to safety lockers, closes at six so you have to keep that in mind but that wasn't really a problem for us.

If I would ever return to koh Tao I would definitely go back to Blue Wind

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Elze138
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Almost all bungalows are different size, price and quality. We just wanted the cheapest price. We paid 700 baht/night for a very basic fan room (during high season, this was all that was left and cheapest), with mosquito net, cold water, and manual toilet (not western). We had a balcony with a bench and hung our clothes to dry (most bungalows do). Location wise, it's pretty good. It is a 5-10 minute walk to all the nightlife, bars and restaurants in Sairee Village and the beach out front is pretty good too. Service/staff pretty non-existent, but it didn't bother us.

Pro: good value and location, also there is a yoga class there if you're into that!
Con: wifi in restaurant only, fan in room is not strong enough if you are also using mosquito net
Overall: recommend
Tip: The restaurant is superb. The fish burger is to die for. The rest of the menu is also quite good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank charlotte_darling84
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We, (Me my son and Fiance) stayed in one of the 800Baht Fan bungalow's which we found to be average not good not bad. i will say that with the mosquito net on the 4 poster the fan did nearly nothing. if you don't mind a few creepy crawlies like we don't it's fine. we stayed 2 nights and slept comfortably. Staff in the restaurant and reception we're not the politest of people although we found this to be the case in much of Koh Tao (maybe because of high tourism) the restaurant is nice and sells good food nice place to watch the sunset and catch up on emails. The coconut and mango lassi's were delicious!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family