All reviewspool villasea view cottageslemongrass teaour honeymoonpirate barchalok baygarden cottagealvaro divingcold towelsoutdoor showerwalk along the beachthe cottageshigh tidemosquito coilssmall beachthe hotel offersthai massage
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I dont know what these other people expected for the price but I LOVED View Point.
The rooms are very cheap for what you get. I stayed in a V cottage with amazing views overlooking the bay. The rooms could do with a bit of a makeover but we loved them! For the other reviewers who recently gave this place a negative review, you have to get to know the staff and be pleasant and they will bend over backwards for you. Yes, you have to ASK to get your room made up but you could ask everyday and they are happy to do it! We found the restauarant food amazing and the staff there were extremely helpful, pleasant, spoke great English and would service any request we asked.
Yes the trip in was rough on unmade roads but that is part of the charm of View Point. It is remote!
The beach definitely did NOT have glass on it and it was far from mud. It is a perfect, private beach which, after 10 metres of pristine sand, runs into coral reef you can snorkel over for hours. (see photos)

Please do not take the view that ViewPoint is bad, it is extremely cheap for what you get and if you like things a little rustic, this is for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fattymcnair
Reviewed August 2, 2010

No road to resort.
No rubbish removal. Rubbish everywhere..
No clean bed linen or towels. Animal excretment on sheets and towels
No clean room service. Had to ask several times after 2 days.
No room refrigerator.
No properly operating toilet. Raw sewerage flowing on the floor and into the shower floor. No hot water.
No water that was not salt .
No free drinking water. Fist time in 6 years in Thailand not included in room.
No beach to swim. Just a swampy foreshore.
No information about the resort.
No Duty manager.
No english spoken or understood by staff.
No credit card facilities at the resort. Had to be taken to a local shop in the village to use credit card.
No view as no one trims undergrowth
A Totally underwhelming experience. Note to be repeated or recommended

Also a nasty little trick when checking in after the rough uncomfortable ride, looking at all the rubbish along the way, you are told to sign a form after you fill out all the details of your booking which includes, hidden away in the copy, that you have to check out by 10.00 am another first for my time in Thailand
However the food in the restaurant was excellent and at a reasonable price.
Visit at your peril.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank yumidesign
Ekapon, Internet Maketing Director at View Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2010

On behalf of View Point Resort - Koh Tao, we would like to thank you for your patience. We would like to apologize for some of our mistakes.

Below is our explain to your complaints:

No road to resort. Just a rubble track that the 4WD had difficulty with:

There are 2 roads to access to our resort. The one commented is a dirt track across the mountain (4WD only) which is not for guest because it is quite dangerous. Another one which we regularly use is a fine concrete road that stop only at our View Point Shop. Then you will need to walk about 10 minutes along the beach to the front entrance of our resort.

No clean bed linen or towels:
No clean room service. Had to ask several times after 2 days:

We would like to apologize for this inconvenience. The room service for the Cottages is upon the guest's enquiry. There is no daily room service.

Litter and rubbish everywhere. Including on the so called beach:

In some weeks during each years, junks such as pieces of wood or even broken glass were flush from the sea to beaches in Koh Tao, depending to wind directions and tides. These include our private beach in some season. The junks might also drain from the mountain in rainy season. We regularly collect them every evening.

No room refrigerator, No hot water:

We have already describe the facilities in each room types on our on-line booking page. There is no air conditioner, refrigerator or warm shower in Cottage. They are only in Pool Villas.

No properly operating toilet. Raw sewerage flowing on the floor and into the shower floor. No water that was not salt:

We will fix this leaking water. The lack of water is an island's main problem. The water may sometime rusty and salty because it is the ground water. As on your photo, it is a leaking water, not sewerage flowing. Because of the rusty water so it look like sewerage.

No free drinking water:

We provide 2 bottles of drinking water in each Cottages. That was our mistake if you did not have them.

No beach to swim. Just a swampy foreshore:

Most of the beaches and bays on koh Tao are shallow. It is depend on tide (different on each days) what time is suite for our guest to swim in our private beach.

No information about the resort:

We are currently working on the resort facilities information sheets to be provided in each rooms.

No Duty manager:

We do have our manager, his name is Mr. Yao.

No english spoken or understood by staff:

Most of our staffs can communicate in English but some of them are not really good as it is not their native language. There are a few new staffs who can speak English very little but they are practicing, please apologize for this.

No credit card facilities at the resort. Had to be taken to a local shop in the village to use credit card:

Yes it's true, due to our banking security. It is because of the unstable electricity and phone line at the resort location - unlike at our convenient shop which is located in town.

No view as no one trims undergrowth:

We will trim some of the trees. The sea view can be more clearly seen from the Cottage V.

About the check out time:

Our resort's check in and out time is at 10:00 am and it is stated at the reception desk. Because we have to prepare the rooms for next guests who will be arrived with morning boats at 9:00AM.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

I've recently come back from my trip to Thailand and had a look at the previous reviews of View Point Resort because I stayed there for 1 week in July. I'd booked a week at this resort because I thought it looked amazing on their internet site. When we got there it didn't at all look the same and I was disappointed. I stayed in a normal cottage, not a luxurious villa (which I had a look at while I was there and they do look amazing). Anyway, this review is for a normal cottage.

The only positive aspect of the cottage was the balconey with the amazing view of the sea. The room itself was overpriced and run down. As others have mentioned the lighting is terrible - I had to walk around my room with a torch in the evening even though I had all the lights on. The bathroom sink was about to fall apart and the last 3 days we had no clean water, only brown water coming out of the shower and sink. They never cleaned our room, nor brought us toilet paper, nor did they ever empty our bins..and this is not a 1 star resort, so they should have looked after our room better.

In the restaurant the food is good, but the waiters seem completely bored and unhappy so the atmosphere was quite negative. The Manager just sits behind his desk/computer all day and if you ask him anything he just grunts and never smiles. There seems to be a lot of staff, but they just sit around eating and talking amongst themselves so if you do ask them for anything you feel like you're disturbing them.

The small beach right next to the hotel looks lovely at first but after a day I noticed it was full of pieces of glass - even in the water, so for children you have to be careful. They never clean up the beach..they don't seem to care.

For someone looking for a nice resort on a quiet beach..I'd recommend going to another bay as this bay was full of hotels, restaurants and dive schools.

I've never written such a negative review, but I don't want other people to make the same mistake I made. Maybe if you stay in the luxurious villa it's a lot better...but I guess most people who travel to Ko Tao don't want to spend so much money.

The Management needs to make lots of major changes to their resort to keep their guests happy and guarantee return visits. It's a shame as the resort is in a beautiful location...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank denzi
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed here in Auguest 2008 and my views on the place can be summed up by the letter I wrote to the management shortly thereafter:

"Dear Viewpoint,

I stayed at Viewpoint between 25 to 30 August, for a night in a cottage and for 4 nights in the pool villa.

Unfortunately, I was not impressed by several aspects of the Viewpoint operation.

Although I had booked a pool villa, I had to phone three times to argue for a pick up from the pier. It was only after reading out the relevant section of the website which stated that a 'complimentary' pick up was included in the price that a pick up was agreed.

Upon arriving at the pier, two rude employees did not smile, say hello or greet us in anyway other than to grunt and point to the pick up truck in which they dumped us. They did not utter a single word for the entire 30 minute journey and then summarily handed us over to the 'manager' down by the restaurant.

This 'manager' was even more unpleasant than the two staff who had picked us up - and for some reason throughout our stay insisted on walking round topless (unlike all the other staff and guests) day and evening, pausing every now and again to rub his generous stomach.

We were put in a cottage (perhaps no.23?) whose balcony's roof was so low there was absolutely no way of going out onto the balcony or of catching a view, which is not a little disappointing given the name of your resort.

On the second day, we moved into the villa, which, in terms of facilities, design and decoration was superb. In addition the woman who was on reception by the villas was very friendly and helpful. I believe she was the mother of the charming baby who was also on resort at the time.

We had a good time in the villa but on the whole found the general service somewhat patchy - people seemed to not really want to help and acted like they were doing us a favour by waiting on us.

The worst was yet to come - on the final day we were presented with the bill, which was 50% higher than expected. After speaking to 3 separate people in relation to this, the manager (mentioned above) admitted that he had "forgotten" to deduct the deposit which we had already paid. Something tells me that he does not usually "forget" to collect the deposit with such ease. Without so much as a "sorry" the correct bill was presented. The fact that the other employees were laughing during this process did not lend credibility to his claim that this was a "slip".

The manager and his older female colleague (also a manager?) then proceeded to lose our ferry ticket which we had paid for, made us wait with our bags for 30 minutes whilst they ineffectually looked for it (we almost missed the ferry and our connecting flight as a result) before telling us to just get it at the supermarket we had to stop off at to pay. We left the resort as we had arrived - without any acknowledgement such as "goodbye" or "have a nice trip".

If this had been a simple seaside beach hut, charging appropriate rates, some of the above would have been forgivable (although I do not see why service should ever be so unfriendly). However, the pool villas intend to charge 12,000 Baht, which puts them in the same price bracket as the luxury resorts on Koh Samui and the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Bangkok (at which we stayed prior to Koh Tao). I can assure you that the service a visitor would receive in either alternative venue would put Viewpoint to shame. If the business plan is to move into the luxury market (I noticed another pool villa being built), I am afraid to inform you that you have little chance of attracting return custom, nor even, once word or mouth begins to circulate, any custom at all.

Quite frankly, you should be ashamed to treat people who have paid thousands of Baht and travelled around the globe to stay with you with such disrespect. So that no one else is cheated in the same manner, I shall be forwarding a copy of this email to every guide book and travel web site I can find, including the Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, D&K, TripAdvisor and the Lonely Planet ThornTree forum.

Yours sincerely,
Stephen

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SteveSS777
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Pleas don't be put off by the negative reviews on here. My husband and I travelled around Thailand last summer. We knew in the middle of our travels was our 2nd wedding Anniversary and wanted to celebrate it somewhere special, I spent weeks trawling the internet looking at every luxury hotel/villa arrangment i could find, I was tempted by some on Koh Samui but in the end View Point won and we booked a 2 night stay in one of the regular rooms and the villa for our anniversary night. I liked the regular rooms and would recommend them, they were pretty reasonable price we thought, you could have found cheaper for sure but at the cost of cleanliness. These rooms were modern and clean and I loved the little balconies they had and the awesome views. I didn't mind the climb up and down each day that some people have complained about on here..it's called excercise people!

Let's come onto the Villa though cause quite honestly that was something else entirely! I only wish we could have have more than one night to enjoy it but that was all our funds would allow, a plunge pool to swim in which you could sit in and watch the ferries sail past in the distant sea was amazing! and the giant jungle shower was pretty snazzy too. The bed was amazing and they had even rolled up the towels on our bed into little elephants! A free fruit bowl was a nice thing to find and free bottled water in our fridge was heaven to me as the Koh Tao heat was a bit too overwhelming for me! We had our own little reception who were only too happy to cater to our every need and the night before they took our order for breakfast and brought it up to us on little trays and we could eat it on our outdoor balcony overlooking the ocean...it was amazing!!

The manager even came in on the morning of our anniversary with his personal laptop to show as an email my Mother in law had sent to the hotel to try and get them to pass on to us which I thought was really sweet of them to do that!

I definitely recommend View Point to all, and forgot to mention our favourite little hangout on Koh Tao was just a stone's throw from View Point too. It was called Babaloo and you could lay in hammocks or on cushions and watch them throw fire and they played some good tunes there too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple