View Point Resort
$53
Agoda.com
$112
  • Breakfast included
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
$131
$108
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$66
$39
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
$55
$41
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$45
$36
$53
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$22
$21
$96
$70
Agoda.com
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$51
Travelocity
All reviewspool villasea view cottageslemongrass teaour honeymoonchalok bayalvaro divingoutdoor showerburmese staffsurrounded by naturehigh tidemosquito coilsstayed here for nightssmall beachwalk along the beachthai massagemy girlfriendthe hotel offers
Reviewed June 5, 2009

One of the worst value place I’ve ever slept in my three years in Thailand, this erroneously self-styled “resort” is bare bones. We stayed in their $45 bungalow and discovered only after check-in (and paying the obligatory non-refundable 50% down payment online) that our bungalow consisted of a broken fan and a bed with a mosquito net (which won’t prevent you from becoming a mosquito pin cushion thanks to the many decorative stagnant pools strewn about the grounds). No hot water, no A/C, no fridge, tv, internet or even a chair. The 40 watt lights are so dim at night you need a flashlight to read, which beside swatting at insects is the only thing you can do here for entertainment. The “resort” itself consists only of a restaurant area and most of the staff appeared to be Burmese immigrants speaking neither English nor Thai. We should have saved our money and camped on the beach in a tent for the same amenities (although the rooms were nicely decorated). Accessing the place was a nightmare as well, as it can only be reached by walking 300 m down an uneven unimproved rocky sandy coastline through ramshackle construction sites - if you are bringing a suitcase, as we were, it was like dragging a kitchen appliance a quarter mile up a mountain. And that was after having to pay 200 baht for a 5 min songtew ride from the main town. For the privilege of trying to shorten our stay by three days to see Samui Island, they wanted to charge us a another $75 fee! It ended up making more economic (and common) sense to remain checked in, leave our suitcase behind, and check into a second cheaper place on Samui (with hot water and A/C!) for the last two nights. The one and only bright spot was that they served very tasty food at the restaurant. Unless you are traveling in a large group carrying backpacks and can afford the $220 pool villa, take my advice and give this pretentious overpriced place a pass, or just here for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kaleid
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I think other reviews have summed it up fairly, the views and design of the rooms is great but the isolation (10 minute walk unlit across a beach and rocks) soon becomes ver ywearing and I found the service here to be lousy.
The pick up from the ferry for myself and another couple didn't happen, we had to ring and chase them to come (after 30 mins) and despite asking for a taxi lift back my bags were dumped at the end of the beach and it was left to me to find a taxi to get back to the ferry. The rooms were never cleaned in my 3 days there and were showing signs of wear and tear (very holed mosquito net, windows not fitting in the frames). The rooms are pricey considering there is no hot water and no aircon (which is a real pain, the rooms never cool down) and for the rate there is far better quality accomodation available on the island.
HOWEVER the view is amazing, sitting on the balcony (I stayed in a V cottage) day or night was a wonderful memorable experience, and for that reasona lone you might want to consider a short stay here. Anything more than 48 hrs I would personally look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Stokie_on_tour
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I'm trying my best to put this together. Viewpoint resort is a place for you if you don't mind the wilderness. Not much luxury there, there's no safety deposit box, minibar, wifi or even TV. The room looks good but you will be frequently visits by bugs, spiders and lizards. Also, it is situated up in the hills. So by getting there, you will be riding in the Resort's pick up truck (SUV). And it's the bumpiest ride I've ever been to. The road was made partially - part of it was done but most was still a forest full of rocks. So you either walk (which is really far) to the resort or take the bumpy ride.The best thing about Viewpoint is the most amazing view of the beach. The room service is good too. This will be ideal for honeymoon couples who like to stay in and not coming out at all. My suggestion will be : If you want to stay here, choose the room with A/C. It's really hot and not airy. Even with 2 fans blowing some air, it's still hard to sleep at night. Also, prepare yourself for a really long walk every day.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Positives:
-Yes. the beautiful views, waking up to the wall of beautiful sea b/c you are so high up.
-The staff in the restaurant are extremely courteous polite, friendly & helpful.
-the secluded location
-Breakfast in the restaurant is gourgeous/lunch and dinner is good.

Negatives:
-the website is a bit misleading, and makes the place look much more modern/well kept than it is.
-the location is in Chalok Baan Kao, where it is UNswimmable. the water is much dirtier than close beaches, and is a main point where dive boats come in and out.
-yes. to get to Viewpoint you have to walk a bit through a dirty beach and through an outdoor restaurant bar, taking your flipflops off & on. Not exactly what you look forward to when you're exhausted from swimming and trekking all day.
-The staff is helpful, but the main managers arent as friendly, and treat you as if "its business as usual" type of vibe.

-Personal story:
I am 30 yrs. old Filipina-American. Photographer. Traveled quite extensively in asia(and western world), and especially the Philippines. So I am used to new cultures, assimilating, and also how to enjoy a few days in a tropical paradise. My itinerary was a few days in bangkok for work/leisure exploring, and 5 days off to go visit a nice quiet island. First time in Thailand. First things first, DO NOT TRAVEL IN HIGH SEASON TO ISLANDS IN THAILAND. Unless you want to be completely culture shocked NOT by the actual country of Thailand but to the mundanity world of Westerners that travel to a beautiful place like Thailand to put a trophy up on their wall to say "they PARTY'ed there!". It is NOT the time or atmosphere to be around chill travelers looking for a nice quiet secluded place and NEITHER the time to find some communal fun time with like minded people.

The boats to get to Koh Tao are completely packed and the vibe level is NOT comfortable. If I didnt meet the cool Thai dive instructors, I would have wanted to turn back forsure.

Viewpoint Resort, is very secluded and nice. I stayed in the bungalow V3. the amazing view is wonderful to wake up to and to put you to sleep. It is VERY minimal, yes you clean yourself (they leave a nice broom and trashcan), its all what you need since you spend most of your time on your scooter visiting the island and amazing beaches, and/ or diving. Make sure to wear a bit of insect repellent all the time if mosquitoes love you! The bungalows are situated within much plants and greenery so there of course are insects. But this is pretty obvious for a tropical island. Breakfast in the morning of fresh fruit, meusli, honey and a mango shake was AMAZING every morning @ 7am. (and also have a very extensive menu as well) the staff is wonderful, though as mentioned b4 the male manager isnt as friendly and you very much notice a heirarchy of some sort.
My only personal MAJOR complaint of this resort which will NEVER make me come back again was a fiasco I fell into when I was checking out to pay for my stay. IF YOU WANT TO PAY WITH A CREDITCARD yo must go to a supermarket in the small village that a staff member brings you to, and deal with a mean woman. This woman, b/c of a misshap with my credit card, [-] with me so much b/c i didnt know they DO NOT TAKE AMEX (HOW you are supposed to know this? Im not sure) Instead of alleviating the problem, she took my passport and continuously yelled at me --I missed my boat back to Koh Samui, and my flight back to Bangkok. It took 3 hours to fix the problem, where in the end THEY DO take AMEX but she decided to take it out on an innocent visitor (myself) that Amex charges a small fee and takes 48 hrs. to go through. As if this wasnt enough, She ended up scamming me an extra fee for my Amex and as I said I missed my connections. There were NO apologies. She works at the Viewpoint Supermarket (which OVERPRICES their goods compared to the very nice and friendly Sunshine market RIGHT next door). She is about 5'6 with long black hair, dark brown skin. When you see her face you will know its her. Evil. She is a scammer, and an incredibly horrible woman that also mistreats her employees. She normally sits as the main cashier. B/c of this, I realize with the amount of Baht you are paying in US dollars (1500 baht for a bungalow=$44 a bit pricey for Thailand) once thinking it was "alright" for the views and etc, you realize with this kind of treatment it is COMPLETELY out of the ordinary "travel misshaps" and NOT worth it. After being around quite a bit, i was completely in shock this even happened!
If you DO want to stay in koh Tao (even though it says it is one of the most secluded islands in thailand though it is completely tourist-infiltrated) My suggestion is to stay in Sai Daeng (just one beach further from Chalok, right around the next cove) where you can stay in similar bungalows but are able to jump right into the beautiful waters in the morning/anytime. Or in Ao Leuk a little bit further in the next cove over, where it is VERY secluded and the beach is really remarkable and with some waves. I truly wish I knew a little more b4 I left. SO I hope this review really helps someone that has looked at Viewpoint Resort's website and was starting to become wow'ed and mislead a bit.

The unfortunate thing I experienced with Thailand being a tropical paradise for travelers, is b/c it has been SO VERY infiltrated with heavy tourism, at least for me in the southern islands I visited in a short time---the environment becomes less about Thailand and its wondrous and innate beauty, than a place constructed for western tourists. There is something really lost that was quite sad and a bummer. If there are places such as [-] in bangkok, then I just happned to choose the wrong destinations in the south, this time around. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank GraciaTV
Reviewed March 7, 2009

The pool villa was outstanding with a wonderful bathroom and plunge pool. The staff was very helpful and attentive. The only downside were the mosquitoes around the outdoor dining area. The restaurant was also of very good quality and excellent value.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple