“this is paradise”
Review of View Point Resort

View Point Resort
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wonderful place, minimal bamboo design, delicious food and superior atmosphere with the wave soundtrack. In this place you can feel the see sorround you and you can taste it in your plate. After bangkok you need to come here and relax

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ctrl-z5

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I agree that if you book a hotel in the jungle you must be open to some wildlife.
We stayed in Bungalow 3 and enjoyed te amazing view.
The staff is friendly and you dont have the bar soundtrack at night which you have in sairee.
The bungalow was in general average, no hot water, no AC and you best acess your bungalow by the beachside.
I would really like to try the poolvilla if it wouldnt be a bit over budget for students.

In general we enjoyed the view, the quiet location and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Hi! I can see that reviews are a bit on 2 sides:
1) negative.. Complaining about how bad the road is to access, rats, no wifi, ex...>> I mean.. You are In Thailand, in a resort in the middle of the nature ( where we also saw a small snake on a tree outside our balcony).. But that's also the Fascinating Part of it..
2) the other side is super satisfied and talks about the super friendly staff and amazing view...

To be Honest ( we were staying in View point bungalow n.7, NO villa).. The view from the Balcony Is STUNNING and the Room is quite nice.. But for the Price that you pay (1.500bht).. I'm sorry but (to me) is a bit annoying to wake up in the morning an thinking about doing thousand steps to the reception to ask them to change your towels and the bed sheet( I think that this should be included in the price).. Then yeah, we also had the power off ( so It took half an hour to get a fruit shake- but that can happen).. And when we were served, it was always 1person and then the other one waiting ( that's probably not In the Thai culture to serve 2'people at the same time)..
So I would rateExcellent the view from the Room but Average the Service ( I mean.. Pretty much everybody in Thailand is friendly and smiley.. So that's quite basic)..A review always depends on the moment and our background.. So it's not an absolute value.. But I hope I gave you an idea! Maybe your experience will be perfect!:)

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank donna_avventura27
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We visited View Point in April 2013 staying in the pool villas. We booked View Point as a wedding venue and as a luxury end to our holiday in Thailand.

Overall View Point Resort was disappointing.

Positives:
1. Beautiful setting, away from town and traffic.
2. Very close to nature - which for us was a delight.
3. Staff were generally friendly and helpful.
4. Pool Villas were comfortable and well designed.
5. As a result of our complaints we were given a cash discount.

Negatives:
1. The resort is not finished (as at April 2013). Significant amount of building work being done - paths, roads being laid etc The approach road is very poor and the first impression of the resort is of a rubbish tip.
2. Not really a resort - lacking in infrastructure i.e. No telephone system so only way to ask for room service or obtain assistance was to walk to reception, which was not manned throughout the night. No wifi in the villas or cottages and a very poor signal at reception.
3. 100 metre walk to the beach is very steep and unfortunately the kitchen is near the beach. Breakfast is brought to the villas each day and by the time it had arrived coffee was tepid etc. All food was covered with cling film and this caused the food to 'sweat' - toast was inedible! 4.The food generally was poor - we visited the 'restaurant' only once and it was certainly not 'fine-dining' as described on the website.
5. Website warns of occasional power cuts - we stayed for four nights and experienced a few of these. One occurred during the night and lasted for over 4 hours! With no lights movement around the villas/site was unsafe even with a torch. It was not comfortable walking along the footpaths (at night) which was covered with crabs - and I love wildlife!!!
6. The villas had very little information on display e.g. What do you do in an emergency with no power and no telephone?
7. The resort was VERY expensive in comparison to other hotels in Thailand. There is currently a discounted rate for the villas which range in cost from £170 to £255 per night (normal rates are £255 to £382 per night!!!).

We booked View Point as a wedding venue and as a luxury end to our holiday in Thailand. We had no time to rearrange wedding plans and had paid fully up front. We complained and had a number of meetings with the management which resulted in a substantial refund.

We were very worried that my daughters wedding would be a disaster but the staff were fantastic on the day and it was a great success.

View Point has huge potential but is not at the present time 'a luxurious resort'.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank johnwsbridges
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The resort is a sanctuary of luxury like no other (considering the prices). We stayed at poolvilla 1 and loved every minute. The villa is kept clean and even the leaves between the rocks are picked out daily! This is very important for someone like me who is terrified of any insects and horrified by most bathrooms outside northern europe.

We were on our honeymoon and could not have picked better. We have stayed at other resorts prior to our stay at viewpoint resort, however our poolvilla made the other bungalows we stayed at look like [--] (pardon my language). In addition, the room itself is not only far better but the facilities as well: Clean beach, neat paths, royal service (really, the service is fantastic, friendly and quick, even a bit over the top although we don't mind ofcourse).

If you choose your room, may I suggest the poolvilla as the price is not that high (for Dutch standards that is) and you will be amazed! It looks better than on the website, which I really can't stay for any of the other resorts or hotels visited (we were amazed what those places can do with photoshop).

Finally I would like to recommend the restaurant, for iets excellent service and dreamy location!

It's not like me to be so positive, so a slight negative point is the wifi which is primarily available at the reception and ofcourse we are sad that we did not know about this place sooner! We were informed here that next year there will be a pool and spa as well! What a reason to come back ;-)

Fantastic place and best holiday ever!

Een echte aanrader! Echt super! (In Dutch for all interested from the Netherlands)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This wonderful place is being refurbished at the moment by a very nice English-American couple, Ali and Shawn, so might become more expensive in the future. For the moment it's more than excellent value! The mostly Burmese staff is extraordinary friendly and helpful, the food (breakfast is not included) in the restaurant is great and we stayed for 5 days in a bungalow on the rocks right above the sea, hence the name View Point resort, with wonderful sea views from the balcony. It had no aircon but because it's on a rocky outcrop at the end of the bay there is a constant sea breeze. There's a fan, a mosquitonet above the bed and a spacious bathroom. They have a sort of private beach right beside the resort and if you swim out a little there's nice snorkeling along the rocks. It's within walking distance of the rest of the bay but just far enough not to be disturbed by the loud noise of the 24/7 beach bars....... What more can I say about this lovely place? I can only recommend it and I guess you should just go there and find out for yourself. A big thanks to Ali and Shawn and all the staff!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to be in a different place so I booked 2 nights here. When I arrived I realized that the only have pool for villas. I was a little disappointed, but them I tried to book a speed boat and they so friendly but didn't do anything. They recommend me big boat cause supposedly speed boat was to expensive(that is not true). Then I tried to book my ticket going to Chiangmai and they told me I had to go to travel agency to have the tickets, another disappointment. And they told me was open until 10 o'clock , but when I arrived there at 840, was already closed. Then I asked if I could stay more time in the room and they said ok. But today they knock the door and said me I had to leave cause other guests were coming. Resuming was not a good experience. Try another options if you come to koh tao

• Stayed: April 2013