“Hello service??”
Review of Sunset Buri Resort

Sunset Buri Resort
Ranked #49 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I checked into this place after walking along the beach and liking the look of the pool and the proximity to Sairee Beach. We should have taken heed from the rotten attitude of the lady at reception because not only did she refuse to smile she wouldn't even escort us to our room.

We had drunk a few too many Changs on the ferry and we were tired after the commute from Bangkok so we booked a room, but were disappointed with the extreme heat and lack of shade in the bungalows. After having a nap in the sauna-like rooms we awoke to find we were covered in sandflies.

The toilets were dirty, the pool was dirty and I was not game to leave my valuables in the room because the lock on the door barely worked.

Despite paying 700 baht for a room with a fan we decided to look for a better place during the same day we had booked in. Luckily we found another place (O'Chai Guest houses who unfortunately are not on Trip Advisor) and we booked in there on the same night for 500 baht a night and stayed there for the next 4 nights.

For shame Sunset Buri - we should've known better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mibattye
There are newer reviews for Sunset Buri Resort

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This place does look good from the outside, great location and a cool pool area. The hits are basic but overall ok for the price. The service here is a disgrace, ignorant and unenthusiastic. The electricity was out in the resort for two nights in a row!!! With no one to answer to the issue, the staff ( if any) just clear out. No welcoming or charismatic atmosphere to this place at all.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

WOW ...first impressions can be deceiving! The place I was staying at had all the rooms booked up past when I was staying, so I needed to move hotels. I had walked by here and it looked nice, so I went and paid for two nights. I was quite shocked when I checked in that they not only didn't take a photocopy of my passport(as most do) ....they never even had me fill out my name or a registration card, they just took my money and gave me a receipt????? The little huts looked so nice from the outside, with their little patio areas and big windows, but that's where it ended ...what a dump! They had done some crappy cleaning job ...there was still garbage from the last person that stayed there ...it was filthy, rundown, bugs everywhere. I paid for two nights, but after one went and asked for my money back, which surprisingly I was given! Don't be deceived on how this place looks from the outside ...you can do MUCH ...MUCH better for your money!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Dave B
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had been here 5 nights - no flat screen tv it was a box that didn't work!
Swimming pool was green and dirty and not useable, staff are rude and not helpful.
Had 3 power cuts during our stay, one at 11pm then the next day at 6pm and couldn't even have a shower then one the next day at 12pm went to reception at 2 and said it was cut off till 5, it was sweltering hot and wouldn't give us any money back even though we had paid for aircon!!
The balcony doir wouldn't open so had to leave our clothes to dry in the room. Do not book here!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night, because as soon as we got into the room (after changing room twice because there wasnt a bed in the room) we went looking for somewhere new to stay.

The room was very dull and boring, the headboard on the bed was mouldy and the bed sheets stunk and had stains and holes in.

The door to the balcony wouldnt lock so had to take all our valuables with us while looking for somewhere new to stay.

The staff werent helpful in the slightest, couldnt understand anything I was saying and just kept handing me a key for a new room.

It is one of the worst places I have ever stayed.

Oh and the swimming pool is disgusting and unusable, but that doesnt matter as much as it is right on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan D
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately I can't think of any positives for this place apart from its close to the beach and pretty quite but that's probably because there's not a lot of people around.

The staff are not very friendly and are lazy to the extreme, even for Thailand! We paid 600bht for a fan room which was big but smelled of very strong damp and was looking very used. We stayed for 4 nights as it was in a good position but the room wasn't cleaned or sheets changed in that time and we even had to ask for toilet rolls.

We're used to run down rooms but this was probably the worst and the attitude of the staff added to the bad vibe. Oh and do not swim in the swimming pool as it hasn't been cleaned for a long time!

Biggest problem this place has is that no one can be bothered with anything. Such a shame.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Yes the rooms were somewhat old fashioned, but it was a large room in a great location on the beach. Everything is within walking distance from it and there are some good diving/snorkelling places around. Lovely local family were there most of the time and lots of beach volleyball being played. Exactly what we needed - safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple