“Mighty_Perkster is not right...”

Koh Tao Tropicana Resort
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We knew Tropicana resort from different stays beginning in 1998 and frequently going on to this time where we stay again now.

We are sure not to visit this resort again if the situation as "Mighty_Perkster" told would have been true because we like some comfort and minimum standards as well in the rooms as also in the restaurant and in the area around.

This time we have got a room for my wife and me and another one for a friend travelling with us. Both rooms have been cleaned correct at our arrival and also the bathroom or the sheets on the bed are without any chance of reclamation. Anything works and a lamp has got out of order during our stay has been changed immediately.

The staff is going to realize every wish as you might have and which is makeable, but of course, this depends to sympathy and respect to each other.

Tropicana resort has a beautiful garden and a friendly and engaged staff and we cannot tell anything bad against this.

Maybe "Mighty_Perkster" has not well known the thai rules about easy going and making problems gone in a polite way. I for myself have never had problems like this and i cannot imagine that the described situation really has been real and happened... - it sounds more like a revenge for not getting something which has been in the mind of MP - who knews...

My wife, i for myself and our friend will choose this resort every time again; we are sure. At last the cost-performance ratio is good and even better if you knew the owner Wan or you come frequently... ...and friendly...

Try it... and enjoy...

Andi, Petra and Nenoy

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 21, 2009

I stayed here for 2 weeks of my 2 month stay on koh tao. I found Tropicana after looking around a few different resorts around chalok ban koh, it wa pretty much too the same standard of most the places I'd looked at tho slightly cheeper (500 bht a night for a double rather than 600/800). I was travelling alone but was told i would have to pay for a double room as thats all they had, which i guess was fair enough. I was given a bungalow right at the edge of the resort practically on the beach which had amazing views so was happy to pay the extra. The lady checking me in was a bit miserable, as i found to be the case with most the staff, but was helpfull enough and let me see the room befor paying. The room was spacious and reasonablly clean, probably slightly cleaner than a few other places i'd seen but pretty much what i expected for the price, i'm quite fussy about having somewhere clean to sleep and was comfortable enough here. The bed was a bit firm but comfortable enough, and the fan wasn't great but i was there durning monsoon season and so some nights were cool anyway and having the window open seemed to help. The bathroom was also spacious enough, the showers were cold but thats what i'd expected as there's not much hot water anywhere on the island, the toilet didnt flush but i found this the case almost everywhere and instead a water gun and bucket are provided. The gardens of the resort are quite pretty, and i'm not sure who said the beach was mad of sandbags but this wasn't the case, the sand bags were there to stop the water rising too high at high tide and where only at the entrance to the resort, the beach its self was nice and quiet most the time. There's not tv in the rooms but this wasn't a problem for me as there is a restaurant next door which screens 3 films a night, and also a few bars just a few minutes walk away. This end of Koh Tao is a lot quieter than Siree or Mah Hadd but was a bit nicer and still has enough to keep you entertained (I stayed here for 2 months without diving and never got bored) and as the islands small its easy enough to get to the busier parts either by taxi or hiring a scooter.The restaurant was ok (some dishes made very well otheres just standard) but there were pleanty of much better options around. Budda View which is just a 2 minutes walk from here had an excellent bbq everynight and the bar here has a great, friendly attmosphere, theres also eazy bar just a couple of minutes futher. In easy walking distance (5 mins away at the most) are the 7/11, a couple of other small shops selling the basics as well as clothes and food, 3/4 internet cafes (most resorts also have their own), a number of decent restaurants, moped hire, and shark bay is a half hour walk or 10 minutes bt scooter.

The staff did seem a bit grumpy at times without any apparent reason but they where helpful enough, and when i wanted my sheets changing i just asked and it usually got done that day. On check in i said i didnt know how long i'd be there and so paid for a couple of nights in advance, after that they just let me keep the room as long as i wanted and i just paid every few days and (not always in advance as most resorts deman you do, which was helpful as i lost my bank card so had to wait for money from home before i could pay anyway)

Overall i'd say its pretty much what you'd expect at 500 bht a night, i only wanted a place to sleep and wash in reasonable comfort and it did the job, i was also pleased that there wern't to many bugs and insects getting in. Couldnt have asked for a better location really and i didnt notice much of a problem with noice either caused by the fan or the bar just opposite my bungalow, or any funny smells.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed here with my partner and two friends in January after seeing the Tropicana Resort's website. Our Thai friend rung up the day before to book 2 double fan rooms and they said they would meet us from the pier after our Seatran got in from Koh Samui. Anyway we got to the pier, waited at least half an hour and still no-one turned up so we hired our own Taxi.

When we got to the resort it looked nice enough. The garden you walk through to get to reception looks beautiful. We checked in and were given the keys to our rooms - 2 bungalows adjacent to each other close to the reception area. Before we had seen the inside of our rooms we could smell them. We opened the door and the bathroom had a door which would not shut. Inside the bathroom was faeces over the floor and blood in the toilet - presumably left from the previous guests. The toilets are not flushing and so pouring water over someone elses mess made me want to be sick.

Then the main room - there was one sheet over the bed which did not fit. There were stains all over the mattress and the bottom sheet was unwashed too. There was an old grey blanket on the bed and no towels - it was a good job we had brought our own. Toilet paper was also not provided and if you wanted it the resort would sell it to you. Our friends room wasn't much better. We decided to go for a drink at the bar and try to make the most of things. The beach next to the bar was not a beach - rather it was but made of sandbags. The drinks were about 80% ice, 20% fruit juice and again not worth the bother.

The four of us decided to take a walk down the road and found a much nicer resort - it was like heaven compared to the Tropicana. We checked in there and then two of us went to tell the Tropicana we were leaving. We had offered to pay for the first night (bearing in mind we had spent about 30minutes in the place) but the staff said we were being unreasonable and threatened to phone the police.

I would really not recommend anyone to go to this resort. They are purely living off the recommendation given to them by Lonely Planet magazine which I'm sure they won't have if Lonely Planet visit them again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights, having rung up a couple of days in advance. We had been told that there was only room in the new block (still being built) but we asked for a bungalow if one became free and when we arrived were put in a nice aircon room just one floor up. The staff are variable in temperament - there are a lot of them, some more helpful than others The boss man was great - very personable. In the room there were only a couple of greyish dodgy-looking fleece blankets on the bed with no top sheet. The staff tried to say that this is what is provided in aircon rooms. No sheet, no way at 1600B a night, said I, and boss man immediately gave me one. We did hear other guests asking for their sheets/towels to be changed.
Good points - quiet, beautiful location in lovely tropical garden, great chill-out bar/restaurant with v good food. You can easily walk to Mae Haad if unencumbered (it's a nice walk with shade). V nice private sitting area with drying rack outside the room.
Not so good - the beach looks beautiful at high tide, but this conceals the fact that it is very muddy underfoot, so not great for swimming. You can walk round to Freedom Beach in 20mins or so - a bit hilly, but well worth it. Careful using the Internet facilities - Mosquito City!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachelap
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Stayed here with my son. Location is good, at the quieter end of the island, hire a bike as the taxis are ridiculous! The rooms (I had an older fan room) were disappointing really - peach decor and scruffy, with nice occasional wafts of sewerage from the plumbing. But the overall ambience is nice, from the front gate to the massage pavilion to the restaurant, and the hotel does not stiff you with extra charges, or put loadings on their services so it's a good base for exploring all Koh Tao has to offer. Very good value, nice atmosphere, recommend it really, although the food is unexciting. One thing I didn't like was the refusal of staff to help with problems like a dropped beer. I was given a filthy mop to clean it myself!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My partner & I stayed here while we were doing our diving course with Buddha View which was just round the corner from it so we didn't pay direct though we were told it cost 400 Baht a night for a room.

We were in one of the blocks of rooms rather than a bungalow, it had a large balcony looking into the centre garden area which was a bit jungle-esq!

The room was very basic, a double bed which was comfortable enough, a fan on the ceiling which while it kept you adequately cool while under it, was really noisy & woke me up every night (& I'm not a light sleeper) 1 small dressing table & a light at a completely random side of the room to make reading in bed after nightfall near impossible unless you have an alternate light source with you (which luckily we did since no tv & monsoon season leaves little to do most nights).

The bathroom had no hot water, they don't supply toilet paper though you do have the standard water 'skoosher' as we like to call it for washing yourself! The toilets also are not flush styles like western toilets, instead you have a bucket which you fill with water then throw some down after you've used it, there is a reasonable amount of this throughout Thailand though we've discovered.

They say they change your bedding/towels (which are provided) every 4 days but I'd hazzard a guess that they just say this many days since thats when most of the diving courses are over & people leave anyway (since it looks like alot of Buddha View diving people get put here). We requested clean bedding & towels (changed it ourselves) & they did not seem pleased at all to have to be giving it to us.

The resort is practically on (some of the bungalows are) a beautiful beach which was next to deserted while we were there. Koh Tao really is a diving resort though so most people are busy with this while staying there I imagine.

In short, the rooms are suitable enough for a short stay & fine if you are doing a diving course since you will be kept busy with that anyway!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2008

After struggling to find/book a hotel in Chalok Baan Kao, I finally found the Tropicana, and without being able to find any reviews, I decided to book.
When we (my partner and I) arrived with big bags, we went to reception and were checked in by a grump young thai woman and then showed to our room.... we walked past bungalows (that looked rather nice) and was led to a building that was half built and still being worked on..... We were then led up a couple of VERY STEEP flights of stairs to our room. (the level that our room was on seemed to be the only completely finished level). The room was nice, air con, fan, small bathroom, and like the majority of hotel in thailands, the bed was super hard, but none the less the room was nice... the only annoying thing was there was no TV, there was a monsoon for the 3 days that we were there, so there wasnt that much to do.
Overall the room was nice, but waking up to what sounded like a drill behind your head at 8am was annoying.
When booking I suggest you ask for one of the bunglasows and not the new rooms, Im not sure of the price difference or room difference.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple