“Good Budget Resort on Chalok Bay”

Koh Tao Tropicana Resort
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I've been staying on Chalok Bay for about 8 years now and the area has undergone big changes. Many of the budget places in the area get worse and worse every year, with unfriendly management.

Tropicana is an exception. Recently booked a stay at Tropicana online. The manager was really helpful and friendly in all responses. For budget prices, you get a clean and basic bungalow practically on the beach. The restaurant is also good and well priced. I would recommend it for a budget stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jessica L
There are newer reviews for Koh Tao Tropicana Resort

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This place is the worst hotel I have ever experienced the people working are downright hateful. If you like WiFi they don't allow you to use it. They advertise free wifi but the staff has an ongoing game they play with their furang guests the Wi-Fi signal is strong but will not connect and the game is they come up with a new excuse why it doesn't work every time u ask. They also don't care if they are obvious about this and laugh in your face right away mocking you completely. For the first 3 days it did not work at all for me but I didn't say anything. Them my 2 year old wanted to watch sesame street so I started asking what was up and the game began. All day they made up stories about it, some technical most not about why no wifi.First it was the technician is on his way, next he was just there then he left it worked fifteen minutes and quit and technician is coming back be here soon. Then they told me to use another signal that was there as it had same pass word. They would mostly just stare blankly and act dumb. this stupid game went back and fourth and so far no internet for me. They laugh cruelly in my face. Really aweful people .they for sure are not Buddhists! STEER CLEAR THEY ruined my stay here!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have some mixed feelings about Tropicana - there were good and bad things about it.

Location is very good - close to the beach, seven eleven and some good restaurants.The place itself is very pleasant - wooden bungalows situated in some sort of a "little parc". But it's quite far away from the centre of Koh Tao and you need to rent a scooter or a taxi to get there.

I'd say that the price was low as for Koh Tao and despite few problems it was still a good value for money.

What I did not like was that the bathroom was dirty - dusty and with some spider nets. First thing I did while entering my bungalow was cleaning the sink... Room itself was nice and clean, with fan and a balcony.

Staff was rather nice and helpful, but some of them were unpleasant. Also, I asked them to buy a flight ticket for me, but they were insisting on one specific company. When I suggested another one (because the first one was more expensive and the schedule did not suit me), they started to convince me it was a bad company, that the price indicated on their website was not the final amount and I'll have to pay taxes, luggage and so on at the airport (of course I did not have to pay anything more). in the end they did not agree to buy a ticket of suggested by me company.

The place was also rather quiet with one exception - a big and loud party until very late - I dont know whether it was in Tropicana or elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

For the money you can't go wrong. The staff are very nice. There is one girl waitress who was a little preoccupied with her boyfriend on her phone then getting orders right. I did see a couple of customer not happy with her but really people should chill out this is budget accomadation not the Hilton. Location in perfect , we had the frount beach bungalow. It's a bit load at night as you hear the beach bar so would suggest getting a hut further back. But for the money it's great.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank jennie1978
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed in this resort for two month durin my divemaster course. We were staying in a daily rental area and not the long term, because thoose were up in the hill and we wanted to be at the beach. The rooms are very basic but cheap, we payed around 10 euros per night, you have a double bed, a desk and cold shower for this price, they change the bedlinen every 4 days and do a 3 min cleaning. The location is very nice, close to the 7/11 and there are very nice restaurants around, but if you want to go to the center you will need a scooter which is 5 euros a day. Try the scooter rental next to the Ying Yang restaurat. He is an English guy, very friendly and the scooters are very good maintained. I hope my review was helpful and get some necessary info about the place.
Have fun in Koh Tao

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabor C
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in one the cheapest bungalow of the resort (450 Bath per night) and I found it great for the price.

Of course it's not luxury, but everything was clean, the location is nice, staff was nice too.

There is wifi for free everywhere. Unfortunately when I was there, it seemed internet was down on the whole island (that's what I've been said).

If you have a bungalow next too the road it can be a bit noisy because there is lots of bicycles going there.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow which is not close to the road, it's a bit loudy
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The place is ok but a little noisy at night. The problem is tha the staff treats very bad the costumers. The restaurant is bad and portions are small. They are little lucky to appear on lonely planet.

Room Tip: Rooms are ok but, cheap ones have fan and cold water.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple