“good value for money”

Koh Tao Tropicana Resort
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed July 18, 2013

one of the cheapest guesthouse in the south of Koh Tao (best place to stay, with very nice beaches and bars). Rooms were cheap (about 400 bath) and quite clean. The restaurant has also very good prices.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for 6nights, the price was good, and we had an ok, clean room for that. Unfortunately our room was next to the road, and the walls are very thin, so it was a bit noisy. We could also here anything, what our neighbours were talking. Apart from this inconvience, it's a nice spot, especially with the nice garden.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I took a drink at the bar over there and we sat on the traditional thai pillow. The view was stunning and the service was great.
I recommend people to go there to do the same thing.

The piscine looked great also

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were recommended to stay here and we wanted to be in the quieter area of koh Tao, on first impression the resort looked good, great location on the beach with a handy 7/11 on the corner. The resort is surrounded by dive schools too (new heaven dive school) the area has a great vibe (especially the rasta bar a few doors down).
Unfortunately the room is cheap 450baht twin, fan. The fan was terrible it was cooler on the balcony than the room. The toilet was Thai style but smelt rotten. I refused to run the sink tap due to the sewage smell. Our room only had cold water, which was welcomed due to the heat of the room. The room was clean, our bedding and towels were never changed. Staff were friendly to us. I would recommend here if you are not bothered by noise, (dogs barking all night) Thai toilets and hot rooms!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms are horrible, cockroach and lizard infested cesspit. The state of the rooms are only surpassed by the rude, racist and unhelpful staff. No where else in Thailand was I made to feel this uncomfortable or unwelcome. Honestly it's cheap but not worth it. To top it off I actually walked in on a member of their staff going through my possesions when I popped back to my room after saying I was off to go out diving. The lady even had the cheek to argue with me even when caught red handed and when I complained further I was called every name under the sun and being a female travelling alone I was so intimidated I had to check out.

So in summary, rude dishonest racist staff, filthy rooms, roaches, noisy, even though it's cheap there are far better places for the same money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Dinah O
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in one of the basic fan rooms for 4 nights while diving with Buddha View. The room was fairly basic and quite dark. The fan wasn't great and the toilet was Thai style. We were told on check in that sheets & towels were only changed every 4 days, so we didn't get a change while we were there. On the plus side it was fairly good value (around 450 BHT per night in February) and had free wifi included (wifi was a little patchy). The location was good, right on the beach with lots of decent bars and restaurants close by. The beach isn't great, but we spent most of our days diving so it didn't bother us too much. Not a bad option overall.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My second visit to this hotel. My room was basic but clean, they clean every two days and change towels.
Gardens are clean and very nice. Great location near the beach, which is a typical Thai beach.
Some good places to eat ,drink and socialise within walking distance but not walking distance from the main Koh Tao beach.

I found staff helpful and there are always pleny of them about

Food was OK, again typical thai food; a huge selection and tasty but not posh

I think this hotel is great value; a great base for diving and to visit the Koh Tao animal clinic who do a wonderful job for the islands animals

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple