“SIMILAN NOV 2012”

Full-Day Speedboat Snorkeling Tour to Similan Islands from Khao Lak
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I visited the Similan islands on Sunday 4th Nov 2012 with Seastar for a day trip. It was a very early start 6.00 from Patong and a 1 hour 45 minute trip to Thaplamu pier. The boat (Jupiter) was comfortable and the crew were experienced. The trip out took 1 hour 20 min and the snorkel locations were fantastic. The crew were very serious about the conservation of these islands, all shoes left at pier, don't touch coral or Turtles, do not leave any rubbish at the islands or in the sea. Did not see any turtles but saw many different sizes and types of fish. Lunch was hot and was adequate on the island under cover on island 4. We visited and climbed Sailing rock on island 8. Arrived back at the pier at 4.30pm. The downside to the day was the transfer back to Patong, we had to wait until all boats were back as our 13 bus passengers were spread from the first to the last boat. Left pier at 5.05 pm, took 2 Pax to east Phuket town, we departed the bus at 8.05pm in Patong with 4 still on the bus. This day was too long due to the poor organization of the transfers to and from and splitting the buses into different boats. We would go again if the transport was better organized.

4  Thank John C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I went on a day trip aboard a speedboat to visit these islands to snorkel. We were both disappointed. Granted, we expected that the islands would offer impressive reefs but we found that most of what we saw was dead or dying. We saw fish and turtles but we could have seen that about a mile from our home...
All in all, it was more expensive and a longer day than I could justify for what we saw. Maybe the dive sites are much more impressive?

5  Thank arobin
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had done a day trip to Similan Islands from Phuket through Similanthailand.com(medseye).since this was the first time I had done a tour booking online (in Thailand) was a little wary about how the entire end-end experience would be. One needs to be up and ready by 0630 as the pier from where the speedboat(my boat was Nemo!) leaves is almost a hour away from Patong. The boat ride itself takes almost 1.45 hrs before one reaches the islands. These islands are a protected Marine National Park and governed by strict rules. The tour was handled very professionally and our Guide a Thai lady, Mae or Capt.Nemo :) was too good! She kept us all in splits and exhibited immense passion and desire to take care of the environment(we were advised against feeding the fishes and the Turtles, they will get lazy and stop seeking food Capt.Nemo said).We were first taken for Snorkelling where we saw innumerable fishes, Coral and also 2 large turtles :-) post this we headed to island no 4 where we stopped over for lunch. The island in itself is GORGEOUS with the BLUEST CLEAREST WATERS And WHITE POWDERY SAND.From there we headed to 'Donald Duck Bay' which again had a gorgeous beach and a spectacular view/s of the bay from atop the hill. While the overall trip is long and tiring (0630am - 7pm by the time one reaches Patong/Phuket) it's a memorable experience and I would recommend it strongly

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked a 5 day, 4 night diving trip with Le Mahe, and it was great value. The staff were very attentive and very pleasant. Excellent chef, and we were fed 5 times a day in between the 4 dives! It is a nice boat ... I was lucky enough to have a room all to myself, but it will probably be a little cramped with 2 people sharing unless you are traveling with your partner or close friend.

Diving was beautiful, although I did not see a single shark or manta-ray ..... probably a little over-dived, and the 2004 tsunami has also left its mark underwater.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We booked two nights on the Similan Islands through Kho Lak Life dealing with a lady called Aoy. Aoy went to the National Park Head Quarters and dealt with them direct. The firm she worked for took a commission to so this and it was approximately £40. for their trouble. You can contact the National Park direct but it is not always easy.

The Similan Islands are a holiday destination for the Thai people so English is not really spoken there, you could order your meal but asking any other questions or trying to get any information would be difficult.

The beach was paradise for snorkelling with transparent sea and white powder sands and an abundance of fish.

Our first night was in an air-con bungalow, this accommodation was acceptable but nothing special it wasn’t very clean and none of the doors locked.
The second night we had to move to a fan cooled bungalow – I have never experienced anything like it. When we got our key I noticed rolled up magazines stuffed in holes in the walls and ceiling. I thought it maybe to stop the mosquito’s from getting in but later that night when I woke up with rats running everywhere fighting over my vitamin tablets. The bungalow was really dirty and the bedding and pillows covered with rat urine.

There would have been no point to complain unless you spoke enough Thai to do so. I think leaving a description like this maybe the only way they may get the message.
I will go back there but either in a tent or air-con bungalow.

You can only reach the Island if you join up with a snorkelling trip which Kho Lak Life arranged; we went with a group called sea star.
The all round trip from our hostel in Kho Lak to the pier to join the snorkelling trip and two nights on the Island and our return trip cost us £72.00 per person or 14.000 baht. The transaction fee charged by Kho Lak Life was £41.50 per person or 6.200 baht.

Aoy was an amazing lady and a great help throughout our stay, she helped us through all eventuality’s which included the Tsunami evacuation and she contacted us when the all clear was given, otherwise we wouldn’t have had a clue what was going on.

2  Thank Liz190746