“Disgusting”

Phitharom Phi Phi Resort
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The worst hotel I have ever been at. We booked this hotel last minute, a broucher given by a thai travel agent, looked pretty fancy, but as we arrived it was totally different to the pictures. The bathrooms are off 3rd world country standards. We turned on the tap and the water came out brown and dirty. There was no proper window with glass in the bathroom, where the "window" was taped up with sticky tap. The steps up to the rooms were dangerous and not stable, not to say there was 100+ steps just to go up to our rooms. Although it was close to the parties and everything, definitely not worth coming here as it is also very expensive for what it is. Not to mention, the "breakfast" was basically just toast and old ham and egg.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Simple as this was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my whole life! We arrived my girlfriend checked the room, because we did not know what to expect from the island and as far as we were concerned most other places were booked. Because we hadn't booked this part of our holiday I hadn't done my tripadvisor research.

This place is a dive! It is like a place on a island horror film! Dingy cabins not cleaned and basically the rooms are unfinished, bad views, unsafe steps to the room.

We wanted to check out after the first night and had paid for 4. We told the manager that we wanted to leave the island. He said he had no money, so we came back a few hours later once he claimed he had been to the bank. He then said it was no refund, however we had not signed the form! I advised him of this and he said he would offer me the refund for 2 nights stay, I refused this and said I wanted my money back in full. As people kept coming to see if rooms were available as the ferry ahd come in, he kept stopping and after we had a argument people started asking questions about why we couldn't get our money. He then told me to go to the police and my girlfriend stepped in and he realised it was in his best interests to give us our money back rather than have further arguments about it in front of other potential customers.

Overall the guy talks the talk but is a complete con artist! He knows his rooms are awful and people kept coming and checking the rooms then leaving. The Breakfast looked vile and quite frankly I cannot find words to describe how bad this hotel really is!

Room Tip: None of them!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason D
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed with my parents at the hotel in February 2012. One of our belongings was stolen on the first day. General anager, being proud of ability to speak good English, promised to investigate but no result was provided in the end. We asked for compensation but he said that "This is Thailand!" and walked away. The hotel is quite old and definitely overpriced. Do not waste your money, consider another hotel!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We ended up staying at this resort when it was basically one of the only available when we arrived at Phi Phi. It suited our needs for our stay as we only needed basic rooms but was very overpriced for what you got. Rooms were basic but fairly big with the typically hard Thai beds and 110 steps to walk up to our room. However it was in a good location (very close to party beach but still high enough up the hill for the music to not be a problem when trying to sleep). Didn't have any troubles with service - they brought us water and fresh towels when the room was cleaned each day and were also very helpful taking our luggage to the port when we left. So basically the experience we had at Phitharom was fine for a mid-range option but is way over charged at luxury prices.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2012

one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at and it is deffinetelly overpriced. Aftter I checked in and saw the room I cancelled my reservation for the next days and stayed only for one night there. after Ifound a lot better accomodation and 3 times cheaper. bathroom was horrible(was taking shower with my flip flops on) Bathroom and rest of the hotel needs serious refurbishment. a lot of stains on the walls, noisy, cleaning lady wasnt informed that I was checking out and she came togethe with other 2 other guys, so basically 3 people came to clean the room, which I think wouldnt make anyone very comfortable.

Room Tip: dont stay there
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Hotel pretend to be luxiory one but it is not. Breakfast is the same quality as at backpacker`s hostels.
We stayed there only for one night as we came lately and were tired to look for another place to stay.
I named my review cheating because of the owner of the hotel who pretend to be very nice person (but it was really annoying as he was talking to much and just wasting our time instead of giving us keys) but he overchared us for 1 000 BAT for extrabed. When we were checking in he told us that room costs 6 000 for 3 persons). But on check out he gave us new price list with new numbers.
We were going to contact touristic police but decided that we don't want to spend time looking for them. We just decided to warn smart travelers on this to help them make right decision of choosing a hotel.
Hotel by itself is not bad. Really big and has a tiny pool. Walking upstaires will take some time as some staires are broken and you should be carefull.
Becides, it's not easy to get home at evevning as it`s dark and you can hardly understang which way is yours (we weren`t drunk, believe).
Room is quite big but I wouldn't say is fancy. One of mosquito nets over the bed was broken, shower works really weird and unstable.
And at 8 am at the morning somebody started insistently knocking the door (we were sleeping!). When I opened the door some stuff guy reminded us about check out. Thanks God that not at 5 am! But it wasn't polite anyway.

One more important notice: it's not quite area. Noice from laud night discoteques is very obvious unfortunatelly. You can't even enjoy your nice terrace because of it.

And if you already book this hotel somehow please pay your attention to closing the door. When we locked ours we did checked if it's closed correctly and found out that door is moving (you can easily slide both parts of doors to any side and come into the room through the gap).

Hope this review will help you to plan your trip perfect way! Have a nice vacation!

Room Tip: Goog views from terraces of upper rooms but too long way to walk
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This was our first visit to Phi Phi and we spent hours trying to find the right property and unfortunately we didn’t. We read several reviews on this hotel and none compared accurately with what was on offered.

First of all the pictures on the sites didn’t match up to what was on offer and the hotel really wasn’t we was expecting.

The pool area wasn’t very poor and didn’t look at all tidy, we didn’t use the pool area once during our stay and to be honest didn’t want to spend a lot of time there, to top it off the pool area was right behind the islands waste plant and the smell was terrible.

We booked a superior room and to be honest this wasn’t what we got, our room was very basic and was nowhere near the superior category it was made out to be. I would put it more in the Standard category. It was a very basic, box type room with a bed a shower facilities and that’s it. Our room was right at the top of the hotel and the only access to the room was by wooden steps which had seen much better days. Not all the steps were secure and most had holes in them, needless to say we didn’t feel at all safe climbing them. Because of the condition of the property our time and our enjoyment was very limited in Koh Phi Phi.

Would we go back here, not unless there was major changes and the hotel took a major refurbishment.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple