“Amazing beach... Poor access!”

Paradise Resort Phi Phi
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed July 8, 2012

So we arrived in Phi Phi after a long Ferry over from Phuket... You can get the hotel to do a transfer, but you have to call the reception.... I figured that the long boat would cost less than the international phone call, so we just hopped on a long boat. Fixed prices from Koh Phi Phi, so no need to negotiate. 100 baht p/p.

When we arrived I was a little confused as the beach looked nothing like what I expected... Luckily a fellow traveller was there to advise us that Long beach was the other side and due to the season, we would have to walk over.... This is where the experience begins!!

I am so surprised that this was not in any of the previous reviews. By partner and I are both quite fit and we even found this a challenge, so if you are not fit, do not even think about booking anything on Long Beach in monsoon season!!

You have a walk up hill with your luggage (we had rucksacks, do NOT bring a suitcase to Thailand!!)... This wasn't too bad, muddy, but just a little hike.... You then get to the top of the hill and have to go down the other side to Long beach.... This can only be described as an assault course.... steep climb down through the tree roots with a rope draped down the side to provide limited support so you don't fall.... If you meet people coming up as you are climbing down its a bit of an issue as the steps/tree roots are narrow, so it's hard to get out of each others way....

Anyway, despite being young and fit, in Thai heat, by the time we got to the beach we were exhausted..... No one at the bottom, so then a trek down the beach to try and find your resort.... (BTW, paradise Pearl staff all up this climb and on beach to meet and help their arrivals with luggage!) Eventually found the reception, no apologies are asking how the travel was as we are both drenched in sweat.....

The only thing that made all of the above tolerable... THE BEACH.... WOW!! This is such a beautiful beach and is really quiet!

Rooms - clean, nice bathroom, comfy bed.... everything you would need.... Although couldn't get the right temperature in the shower, either boiling or cold, so have to keep changing t so you get the cross over temperature.... annoying!

Reception service closes early in this season and all of their facilities are shut, so you have to go to the Paradise Pearl for dinner etc.... Their food is great, but I have never experienced service like it.... They barely acknowledge you.... My partner and I both agreed that if they just smiled a little, they would make so much in tips as the food and view onto the beach is amazing!

Getting into main Phi Phi is a bit of a journey as you have to climb up that ridiculous hillside trek, using the rope to pull yourself up the steep climb... We chose to walk in, rather than get the boat... takes around 20 minutes from where the boats would otherwise pick you up.... Again, it isn't an amazing path, but we preferred this to the boat.

FYI - Do not take children to this resort, the paths/climbs are just too dangerous!!

I've been to Phi Phi before, so we had wanted to go in to experience the night life.... We saw some people taking a torch and doing the climb and trek in, but we just decided that it wasn't worth the risk. If you want more than one restaurant at night, in monsoon season, I recommend you just stay in main area and just travel out to Long Beach in the day to enjoy it.

All in all, accommodation in Koh Phi Phi is pretty restricted... I have friends who have stayed at the Holiday Inn/Zevola, resorts are amazing, but there is a slight snobbery, its massively expensive and no traveller fun atmosphere....

Walking to Long Beach, if the tide is out, it is tempting to climb over the rocks between the beaches to save time and avoid the scary paths.... Don't do this, I slipped on a rock as it was covered in some kind of sapp or oil which wasn't visible to the eye.... Shell penetrated into my arm and lodged under my skin.... had to take a trip to A&E!.... Just use the path!!

Excursions.... we took the trip to Maya Beach, Monkey Island etc... So with the half trip, if you pull up to the side of the cliff to see the monkeys.... that is your monkey island stop! Be warned, they will climb on the boat and steal from you! Maya beach.... So because of the season, they can't take you round to the beach... You stop at the back of the cliff, have to jump into the water, swim up to some rope climbing frame and climb up.... all whilst strong waves are crashing into the sides of the cliff and pushing you under the water... Most of our boat wouldn't attempt it as it looked like a death wish and most people were in tears by the time they got to the top. I consider myself a confident swimmer, so decided to attempt this.... I wouldn't do it again.... This was scary as hell!! - As a final note to this, if you get a speed boat, they can take you round the front, so check with the trip people whether the long boat will take you round the front, if not, upgrade to the speed boat as they should be able to.

Snorkelling on this trip was good.... The fish go mad for banana, so if you bring some and break them up, they will all swarm around you.

I invested in an underwater camera at the airport and it's great for snorkelling and for Maya beach (having had to go through water to get there!)

Anyway, sorry for the essay, but all the above information is stuff I was looking for when I booked. I hope you find it useful!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank KPummell

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We paid 1300 bhat per night for a big, clean room which seemed reasonable for phi phi in the monsoon.  Hotel standards (e.g. New towels, free bottled water etc each day) made a nice touch. The setting is amazing, and one of, if not the most beautiful beaches on phi phi. You are only 12 steps from the beach so cheap considering that!

Bad points... the restaurant was closed and on Long beach there were only 2 expensive options for food, unless you want to go to town by walking or boat (100 each person in day, 150 for after dark)!  We were happy with our stay except for when we left and the 'free taxi service' to the pier included with our ticket to Phuket fell through because of bad weather, so we agreed to walk to town. The manager organized 2 boys to carry our bags, but instructed us to give a tip (we would've anyhow, but shouldn't be instructed to). We arrived at the next bay and a long boat was there and offered to us so we hopped on board. At arriving at the pier they demanded 200 baht for the boat, and after explaining to the staff, then on the phone to the manager, who was completely uncompromising and rude, we were forced to pay despite the free taxi being included - apparently as it wasn't their hotel's boat.  Felt that the whole situation could have been avoided, and that some hospitality is missing at paradise resort. However the location, setting and rooms are nice.

Tip: can go to end of beach and walk over to beach lo ma di for awesome snorkeling (all the tours stop there!) takes 15 mins to get there... you can hire mask and snorkel for 50bhat per day from resort.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

One of the best located hotels in Phi Phi Don. Lovely view of Phi Phi Ley with beautiful beach; perfect for swimming; not crowded as there are only two resorts in the locality. We stayed in a beachfront superior room which was well maintained. We could see the lovely green sea right from our room. The staffs were helpful and courteous. The restaurant was closed as it was lean season and so we have to visit Paradise Pearl Resort (200 metres) for food. But there is a warning: during monsoon period long tail boats could not approach the resort due to high waves and so you may have to walk from the jetty which is more than a kilometre and it is not a easy trek considering you have to carry your luggage though they provided a staff in our case to show us the route and carry some of our luggage. The resort deserve 4 star rating but got 3 star as they kept us waiting at the jetty for more than 2 hours in the rain and only sent a staff after a lot of persuation and innumerable phone calls to reach the resort. They should have informed about this problem beforehand so that we would have plan our itinerary in a different way and without some anxious moments.

Room Tip: Go for the beachfront deluxe or superior rooms with lovely view of the sea and Phi Phi Ley right fro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We splashed out and stayed in their new deluxe oceanfront room (407). This room is the closest to the restaurant which initially worried me as I thought it could be noisy but it wasn't.

If I was to return I wouldnt bother with this room and go for the superior beachfront. The new room was clean but very basic. The bed was rock hard, and I mean not just from but it would have been as comfortable as sleeping directly on the floor! We have stayed in may hotels in Asia and Europe but this was by far our most uncomfortable bed! We asked if they had a topper pad and they didn't. We requested some extra blankets to put under the sheet to try soften which they provided.

But the worst thing was I woke up after our first night to over 60 bites on each of my legs. Went to two chemists in ton sai and both chemists said bed bugs ..... Took a week for them to disappear. It was our first stop on a 3 week trip so I couldn't blame them on another hotel.

Agree with others comments about the unattentive/bored staff.

For 4000 THB per night I expected some basics such as beach towels, (as advertised) face clothes and hand towels, and even some hand soap! It was definitely bring your own at this resort!!

Great location on long beach. We ate at the hilltop restaurant every night! The food was super cheap (cheapest we found in 2 weeks throughout Thailand) and delicious. Husband raved about their green curry!

Would definitely not recommend this resort, and would try Paradise Pearl instead :-)

Room Tip: Superior beachfront would better value than their one new deluxe beachfront room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sheri15
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Long Beach, such a great location. Stayed in a new bungalow which was clean, spacious and very comfortable even with an extra bed. Only downside of room was the terrace, which is right next to the next bungalows terrace, could do with more privacy. Breakfast was fine, with different choices each day and a nice outside area to eat at. Staff not very cheerful or helpful, so spent money elsewhere for trips and transfers. Hired a private long tail boat for 1,200 Baht for 3 hour snorkelling trip to Ko Phi Phi Ley, Maya Bay, Monkey beach,etc well worth it from booth just outside the resort on the path to Paradise Pearl. Ate at the Hilltop restaurant which is great and well worth the climb, and at Paradise Pearl which was a lot better than expected, with the Penang curry the best we had anywhere. Nice 25 minute walk to Ton Sai but you won't want to stay long there. 3.5 stars would be the best rating as it is quite expensive for what you get, but the Long Beach location nudges it to 4.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This place was basic, but truly amazing!

The room was clean and spacious with the necessities, air conditioning (new and worked really well), TV (including satellite and English stations), nice furnishings and a very large (but basic) bathroom. If you are willing to sacrifice an "amazing" room, this is the best place, just steps (one step only for us as we were beach front) from a fantastic beach on Phi Phi with a great vibe.

The resort lacks "extras" (not really a "resort") - no free wifi, no free transfer to the pier or pick-up service, and only a basic included breakfast (although, do we really need all those pastries!!). Plus, our pillows were rubbish, I almost complained. Also, we only had cold water in the shower, it wasn't freezing but when you swim in the ocean everyday it's a challenge to wash your hair in it!

The restaurant only serves breakfast and lunch (and lunch wasn't always open when we were there). Breakfast is a buffet, with eggs, rice, toast and fruit, nothing special but certainly enough to fill you up. The staff in the restaurant weren't that friendly, they do there job and nothing else (they aren't rude, just only polite). The lunch menu was short, but delicious! We would recommend the fried noodles, we ate it more than once : )

It doesn't have a pool but trust me, you do not need one when you are this close to the most gorgeous beach on Phi Phi.

If I went back to Long Beach, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 404. It was Beach Front and on the end (away from reception but closer to the next...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I are "flashpacking" in Thailand for 2 months and always knew that Phi Phi would be more expensive than other islands/beaches. We stayed at Phi Phi Hill Resort for one night in the cheapest room before deciding to shell out the cash for a nice room right on the beach. We went to every single resort on Long Beach and Paradise Resort had the best value rooms. We went for the Superior not beachfront room in the last row and it was perfect - super clean and spacious room, aircon, TV with nice furnishings and a very nice bathroom. One thing the resort lacks is the "extras" - no free wifi, no free transfer to the pier when you leave, and the included breakfast is a bit lacking. But if you can get past that, just know that you are just steps from the nicest beach on Phi Phi and you have a great place to sleep. But don't come to Phi Phi if you think you're going to find a nice room on the beach during high season for less than $50 USD.

• Stayed: March 2012