“better than expected...”

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Dublin, Ireland
“better than expected...”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We wanted to spend some time on Ko PhiPhi but really struggled when it came to booking a hotel. We did not want to stay in the fancier resorts on the other side because of the accessibility in the evenings. We ended up settling for PhiPhi hotel. It is more expensive than the rest of Thailand but then again, everything is more expensive in PhiPhi.
The room was spacious and very clean. They seem to be remodelling the rooms as we saw a bunch of flat screen tv delivered when we were leaving.
The location is right in the centre of tonsai village, we had a room on the top floor facing tonsai bay and we could not hear any noise from the bars on the other side.
You definitely miss the free wi-fi but many bars and restaurant have free wi-fi on the island so we caught up there.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay. On PhiPhi you should not spend much time in your room anyway so once you do not set your expectations too hight, this is a good spot.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor to get a nice view :)
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Fort St. John, BC
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I arrived at the Phi Phi Hotel on Kho Phi Phi Island after travelling there on the morning ferry. I arrived at approx. 10:45 and was notified that my room would be ready at 2 PM. I was then given 2 breakfast vouchers. So I thought I would kill a bit of time and go have a bite to eat. I was literally shoooed out of the restaurant they told me that my breakfast vouchers were good for tomorrow and the next day. So I offered to pay to eat something - no go. I could not even pay to eat in their restaurant. There is only one restaurant and it is just basically a big banquet room - you wouln't be missing anything if you didn't cash in any of your vouchers. I had to leave all my luggage in the lobby and go find a local place to get a bit to eat.

There is very little seating (maybe 20 seats) for the hundred or so people waiting for the magical 2 PM check in time so that we could get to our rooms. It was very hot and humid and there were no cold drinks or towels offered and very little sitting room - so we just basically had to stand around in the heat and wait for the time to pass. Finally I was "alllowed" to check in to my room and was sorely disappointed - very dated, no internet access and just the most basic of accomodations. It was horrible. This was in one of their suite rooms - the Tonsai Suite. It was little more than a basic room for double the cost. 5 sets of stairs to get there - no elevator - so you better be in good shape to get to your room. The balcony was nice enough - tiled, but no deck furniture - just a tiled deck - what a waste.

When I tried to enquire about anything at this hotel I was just met with a surly attitude - the staff does not care if you are there or not. I have never seen anything quite like it before this. I am not normally a complainer, but this place is just not worth the money or the time to stay at. One other small thing I was informed of is that there were to be no guests in my room after 10 at night - well I am a full grown man and to be treated like a 15 year old really p*ssed me off. I am paying for the room and I will have whoever I want stay with me in my room; I am paying for it after all. This general attititude just applied to everything in this hotel - they dictacted what you could and couldn't do on a constant basis.

On my first afternoon I spent the afternoon exploring other properties to try to find a decent place to stay - but they were all booked. I was only on Koh Phi Phi for two nights, but I really did not want to spend even one night in this horrid place.

I finally did cash in one of my breakfast vouchers - the next morning I just went to a local place and paid for breakfast - the food selection was poor - the steamer plates weren't refilled so most of them were either empty or completely greasy. Don't waste your time with the breakfast either.

No internet access - none. The hotel was not helpful at all in helping me find a place to buy a card to pay for iternet by the hour - they just pointed to town and told me that some stores sold internet cards - I was getting used to their level of helpfullness by this point and should have known not to ask.

Do yourself a favour and do not choose this hotel. One of the worst on the island. I would buy a hammock from a vendor on the street and stay in that before I stayed in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Apexster

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Reviewed November 5, 2011

The hotel is in a really good location- you can see it when you get off the boat and it is a less then a 2 minute walk. Our room was on the top level but there are no lifts so we had to walk up 7 flights of stairs- when you have your bags with you it's not fun! Rooms were nice and big- beds were pretty hard. The breakfast is nothing special at all. It is a good hotel if you are just staying a couple of nights but not the hotel to stay at if you want luxury.

• Stayed November 2011
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed November 1, 2011

phi phi is a very small isalnd and doesnt have too much hotels worth your money and that make the prices go sky high with not much options.
i would recommend a high floor room (even tough no elevator) the view is lovely
nice rooms, nothing special, bed were not so comfterable tough reasonable.
good breakfast buffet, very helpfull front desk staff.
all in all, if you get a good price go for it as you MUST visit phi phi island while you are in Thailand, it is heaven.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiGHTyDuCK97
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Located right in the centre of Tonsai, you can't miss this place as you arrive on the ferry (it's literally 1 min away from the ferry) so it's very easy to get around Tonsai on foot and the rest of the island(s) by boat.

Hotel itself had big, clean rooms though despite booking a Mountain view, all I got was the view of an internal wall which I wasn't very impressed with. I asked to change rooms but the front office staff were not very accomodating and just said every room was booked out.

Overall it's an ok, busy 3 star hotel, nothing more. And don't forget to print off your booking voucher otherwise they won't check you in!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Room_204
Reviewed October 24, 2011

OK hotel with a reasonable breakfast thrown in. Friendly staff, good location near the pier, and an almost deserted pool which was great for us dedicated swimmers. No wifi though and the plumbing was abysmal. No paper allowed down the toilet which is fair enough but even so it blocked up consistently requiring regular visits from staff with plungers. The shower ran too hot or too cold. Try Banyan Villa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Hotel is nice, very westernized. Make sure you get a sea view room on the 5th floor. Very inexpensive for a nice stay. Beds are comfortable, breakfast is good and it's complimentary. No wifi at the hotel when we were there. But most restaurants on the island have free wifi, you just have to ask for the password. The Italian restaurant to the left of the hotel has free wifi.

• Stayed September 2011