“Wonderful and fulfilling experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zeavola Resort

Zeavola Resort
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful and fulfilling experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying two nights in one of the cosy and beautifully designed villas. Upon arrival at the marina we were welcomed by friendly Zeavola staff while the modern and super cool speed boat was being prepared for departure. The boat crew were friendly and the journey to the island was enjoyable.

The staff eagerly welcomed the new guests off the boat with refreshments and led groups to the reception for check in and formalities. A true test in my opinion, of a good hotel is the ability to maintain this level of welcome throughout the entire stay, which was certainly the case with the staff at Zeavola. We feel like we had joined a family for the short time we were on the island, being greeted by various staff in all departments with a smile and friendly hello and often engaging in conversation. So often hotels try too hard to achieve this level of personal approach but it comes naturally to Zeavola team who are always there when you need them but also allow you to feel like you have your own personal space.

I have spent time speaking of the staff at the hotel, but to ensure I also write about the accommodation, the villas are well appointed, cosy but not small by any means and offer a great break from the beach and various activities. You can sit in the outside sala and read a book, use an iPad etc without feeling like you are locking yourself away in your room. The bathroom is huge and full of beautifully scented lotions and soaps, I will never forget the scent of the Zeavola peppermint fragrance.

Thank you so much to all the staff at Zeavola for such a wonderful stay. I will not hesitate to recommend this to all my friends, family and colleagues at home, I also recommend readers of this review to visit this hotel and experience the small but significant touches which make for a memorable experience.

Andrew

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew L
Florian H, General Manager at Zeavola Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Andrew L,
Thank you so much for your very positive comments and long description I think many guests will enjoy reading your impressions. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Being a small hotel allows us much more interaction with our guests to build a more personalized service. Since they all are having now 5 month English training many of them want to try out their newly learned skills. All our staff live here, so we feel that all our guests are visiting us at home.

Most importantly spring is coming in your region of the world, so wish you a healthy and successful spring and summer time. We would be very happy to welcome you back.

Florian and the Zeavola Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Such an amazing resort. We stayed there for 4 nights and could find nothing to complain about. From the longtail pickup, reception, beach service, room quality, restaurant, excursions... Everything was more than 5-star! The "one day in paradise package" is worth every cent.. As is the scuba diving.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lauren T.
Thank you very much for your very positive review. It seems that you had truly a very good time, which makes us very happy. Our purpose on the island is to create a space and a time for you to have the best experience in your life.
Congratulations to your wedding, The Zeavola Family is wishing you both a continues healthy and successful Life adventure.

Florian & the Zeavola Family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

There are so many things about this hotel that are absolutely amazing. Fantastic room, great food and drinks, a fabulous location. Unfortunately there are just a few tiny things that let it down - nothing that presents a big problem, but for the the price you are paying you would expect the experience to be flawless. Some of the staff were less than friendly (and this was a contrast from other, cheaper, hotels I had already stayed in in Thailand) and we had to ask a couple of times for our luggage to be delivered to the room, then the room to be serviced the next day. I felt the turn down service was a bit half hearted, too; small things like coffee mugs not being washed up and mini bar area not being cleaned. Despite this the whole experience was lovely and we had a great stay. I should add that some of the staff were wonderful.
My other problem was getting to the hotel. My friend and I had already spent 3 days on the Island, near the pier. We tried to negotiate a price for a long boat with the locals to get to Zeavola, but the price wasn't great, so I asked the hotel to fix one up which was slightly cheaper. On the morning the hotel emailed me to tell me that as the weather wasn't good, we should go to the pier and get the ferry. This was the first we had heard of this option, even though I had emailed ahead and asked weeks before! We were not informed of this by the locals either - it seems like a well kept secret. We had to run for the ferry in the pouring rain and it was almost impossible to work out where to go, but after asking about 15 times we managed to get on the boat. It was about a quarter of the price of the longtail boat AND we were able to arrange our return journey at the same time. Once on the boat, we were greeted by a representative of the Zeavola who was fantastic, and from then on it was plain sailing (literally). Had we known about this option at the beginning, it would have made life simpler!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Florian H, General Manager at Zeavola Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Clare UK,
thank you very much for your review and your suggestions for improvement. Your review was discussed during our morning briefing so that my department heads take your suggestions and retrain the staff.

In regards to the arrival I understand that this was a bit confusing. Since Tongsai is so close we always suggest long tailboats. Our guests are normally on very tight schedules so that they do not want to wait for one of the two daily ferries which make it to our resort. Also we do have so many complaints about the ferry from our guests who do use this service that we don't want to promote it. But you a right if it is a price question than the ferry is cheap but not so cheerful. During Rain the transport on the island is becoming sometimes very difficult and for sure wet. So that is a bit the adventure to come out to a remote island, not like Phuket or Koh Samui.

We are glad that you enjoyed the remaining plain sailing time and that your stay at the resort was pleasurable.

We wish you and excellent second 1/2 of 2013, stay healthy and successful.

The Zeavola Family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Zeavola makes the most of the natural beauty of Ko Phi Phi. The resort is set out like a little village, with each bungalow set in dense foliage. The bungalows are charming, spacious and comfortable with lots of beautiful finishing touches. The beach is perfect: white sand, turquoise water, and the water calm enough for anyone to swim in. Although the resort was at 100% capacity most of the time I was there, it never felt busy either on the beach or around the resort. I went on several diving trips and I was never in a group of more than 4 or 5 people. And the diving is amazing around the Phi Phi islands.

I have seen reviews on tripadvisor complaining about the noise of the long boats. The sea immediately in front of the Zeavola beach is closed off for swimming, and although long boats do come up to the beach on either side of the swimming area, they were not intrusive and I certainly did not find the noise to be a problem. They are an important form of transport for people on the islands and it seems a bit churlish to complain about them - a bit like going to London and complaining that there are buses. They are also fun to travel around on.

Yes, there are mosquitoes, but that is to be expected on a tropical island and Zeavola does everything to minimise the nuisance of mosquito bites, even providing individual DEET wipes for its guests every day and offering mosquito repellant spray at the beach restaurant. I am usually covered in bites when I return from a holiday but I hardly got bitten at all at Zeavola.

Zeavola's biggest asset is its amazing team of staff. I stayed there on my own for 10 days, and I was made to feel so welcome and at home by all the staff I came across, particularly those working in the restaurants and the dive centre.

Zeavola does not have the high gloss finish one might expect from a 5-star hotel in a major city, but it is all the more charming as a result. It strikes a perfect balance between being a luxury resort and a discrete hideaway on a tropical island. In short, it is absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the beach are quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Kate H
Dear Kate,
Super thank you for such a detailed and long resort review. We are very humbled by all your good comments. Since we are a very strong couple resort my team and I always react immediately when we have a single traveler visiting us. Especially if she stays as long as you. That is why many of our team engaged with you and made sure that you dont feel too lonely.

Our resort embraces sustainable hospitality and we need to live with the facts of our neighborhood. So we are busy during lunch time and sometimes the boats do make noise, but in general I truly believe that our guests can relax and find their own space and time at the Zeavola.

While we live with mosquitoes we also live with 18 different bird species, so that we can not eradicate the mosquitoes totally. The resort is taking steps to reduce the amount of mosquitoes but remember we have a jungle setting and try to live as much as possible in harmony with nature.

We are very happy to hear that you had such a good time diving and enjoyed the team spirit of our dive team. They had a great time with you too and we wish that sometimes you would come back for another round of great diving.

The Zeavola Family is wishing you an excellent second half of 2013, stay healthy and successful keep on diving.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Me and my husband spent 5 days of our honeymoon at the Zeavola Resort... it was amazing!
People are more than friendly and efficient, they are like angels who are always taking care of you in a informal and polite way. Zeavola fits Ko Phi Phi dream as no other place.
Food was great. The spa is the most beautiful one I´ve ever seen.
We took a Thai Cookin class! Try it... it´s worth it!
We also did a diving course (look for Jannie or Bruno at the Diving place near of the hotel, it´s cheaper and they are really good).
At the hotel, look for Ginnie and plan to go to Maya Adventure at Maya Bay!
And at the hotel, please, send a big hug to A and to his lovely and beautiful wife. Tell them hello from Brazil in my name. ;-)

The rooms are sofisticated and charming. Feels like we are in the jungle!!!
Oh, the breakfast was so good that you should stay at least 3 days to try all the options!

Anyway... I´m sad to live so far away, but definately, I´ll come back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near of the beach (not up the hill). All the rooms are excelent though!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice U
Dear Alice,
Thank you soo much for your very positive review. My staff as Angles, hm that is such a lovely compliment. The truth is that we not only work here but we do live at the Zeavola. So we feel our guests visit us at our home. Like this the service is a bit informal but with all our heart. It seems that you have perceived it this way.

We are always amazed that guests take such a long trip from Brazil to visit our little place, so we really try our best to make you all happy.

Thank you for your very kind comments on the dive team and the cooking classes.

The Zeavola Family wishes you an excellent year ending 2013 stay successful and healthy.
Vilamoura, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

During our week sailing trip in the Phang Nga bay area we anchored for two days in front of the Zeavola resort. We were allowed to use all facilities without any commitment to spent money..Apparently the resort renders this service to most sailors..Obviously we did do some spending and had some excellent meals and breakfast.The service was great,really nice facilities & people at a beautiful location! I unfortunately had the opportunity to test their medical facilities after I tripped when entering the pool area. No effort was spared in helping me to recover including the services of the nurse.....In the morning i learned that my little accident was discussed on the daily operational meeting of Management and some measures will be taken to avoid such incidents in the future....obviously a very well managed place with highly motivated staff !.

Warmly recommend this place to other fellow yachtmen.

Room Tip: Cabins looked very good from the outside , however we had no opportunity to experience ourselves as...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frans S
Dear Frans,
Thank you so much for dropping by, with your lovely family and your great boat.Sailing is such a wonderful way to get to know the world, but sometimes its nice to take a break and pamper yourself on land, and so you did. You wrote this review so quickly while being still in our resort you did not have time to mention that you finally stayed with your family for 2 nights.

Sailing folks are always welcome at our shores as we are setting buoys especially for them so that they have save anchorage during high as well as low season. While we are trying to accommodate any guests sometimes in the high season it might become difficult to allow the usage of all our facilities, but in low season we are happy to do so.

Any accident is an important issue for us since we are on a remote island with medical facilities far away. So the Zeavola team is taking these incidents as very important especially to avoid any repetition.

Frans and Family thanks for sailing to our place, all the best for you calm waters and healthy times.
The Zeavola Family.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,275 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Hibiscus-lined pathways lead to shaded teak bungalows with sleek,distinctly Asian indoor/outdoor floor plans. Each comes with glass walls on three sides. But fret-not,because it comes with remote-control bamboo shutters for your privacy. Beautiful 1940s fixtures and antique furniture outfit the interior which has a patio and impeccable service....with discretion.
We chose a villa with pool. Simply heavenly three days to snorkel,walk slowly and make love.
The hammock got a good workout

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eli B
Dear Shasha B,
What a great headline thank you
Short and precise was your very positive review and you did you fair share of reviews as we can see. Its a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and preceived our little jungle luxury as so positive.

W thank you and would be very happy to welcome you back sometimes in the future. Stay healthy and successful and have a good 2013 Year ending.

The Zeavola Family