“Paradise Lost”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Washing
“Paradise Lost”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've traveled all my life, this is not only the worst "resort" I have stayed at, but, outside of the filing cabinets around airports they stick you in when your flight is canceled and they have to provide a room or a crash-pad while driving down the interstate, the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. There is nothing relaxing or luxury about this "resort."

Zeavola is about a one hour boat ride from Phuket by their speedboat. Check in is 2pm, unfortunately our room wasn't ready until much later. No one apologized or told us why. We opted to wait on the beach. First, the beach is dirty, lots of trash washes up continuously and no one seems to pick it up. Second, this is no peaceful beach. There are very few roads on this island, so most transportation is done by 4-5 loud, fossil-fuel powered tractors that drive up and down the beach, day and night (see the pictures I added). Further, the establishment next to Zeavola serves lunch and dinner to charter tours out of Phuket, which arrive throughout the afternoon and evening. These charter tours are loud speedboats that often blast rap music, techno music, or a mix of the two while you try and relax on the beach. Finally, a series of longboats with loud motors leave constantly from the gypsy village (which is a filthy eyesore) down the beach.

We were able to go to our room much after the check-in time. We went to the bar/restaurant for a quick bite and drink, which unfortunately plays elevator-style covers of about 6 american pop songs on repeat. You will know these songs word-for-word by the time you leave, as they play constantly and are interrupted only by the motor boats, long boats, and tractors.

We decided to take a stroll on the beach after dinner once things had died down. Unfortunately, we were swarmed by mosquitoes and forced to retreat to our room. Peaceful enough, minus the mosquitoes that had somehow snuck in (they are so bad the "resort" provides a mosquito net over your bed and an electrified mosquito swatter). Anxious to enjoy our peace and quiet, the establishment next door that hosted a smorgasbord of loud speedboats (both engines and music) throughout the day has some sort of techno concert that carries on late into the night. There is no peace and quiet here.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how bad the service was as well. This is a beach, so either our initial sheets had sand in them or we got sand in them. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm fairly certain they were sandy when we got them. Regardless, we requested they be changed when the room was serviced the next day. Unfortunately, they were not changed or all their sheets are incredibly sandy, it was like someone dumped a sand bucket in the bed.

Another ding on the service, when we went and sat on the beach not one of the many employees approached us and offered us a towel or drink. Finally I gave up and when and asked for each, you'd have thought I ask them to move heaven and earth. When our cups were empty, no one offered us another drink and it was another trip back to the bar. This "resort" has a large number of employees but as far as I can tell the vast majority of them are gainfully employed at avoiding work, and do a great job of it.

The final ding on the service is only two employees at reception and the activities director speak english. By no means do I expect every person on the planet to speak english, but if you advertise in English, take bookings in english, and reply to emails in english, then I expect most of your employees to be able to communicate in english, or at least the outside facing ones at your bars, restaurants and other service-type positions. And by not speaking english I mean this in the most literal sense, when we ordered drinks at dinner I (i) requested sauvignon blanc for my wife, (ii) pointed at it on the menu and (iii) said it was white wine. Of course, we received a glass of red wine and my mixed drink (which I also pointed at on the menu) was also wrong. My favorite was when I asked the gentleman refilling my water glass for a desert menu and he earnestly replied with the brand of water he was pouring. It is important if you do for some crazy reason go to this place that you know the employees will always respond to a yes or no question with "yes" if they don't know the answer, if you don't phrase the question in a way they have to respond and demonstrate they knew it (i.e. say "how do arrange my transportation to leave you resort" and not "is my transportation set up"), or you will be in for many nasty surprises.

One other note on the villas, they aren't really private at all as you can see in 2-3 of your neighbor's villas from the porch or any room and vice-versa, unless you seal it up like a lunch box. People are constantly walking by.

Also a note on the included brunch, we found it quite good the first day but we ate right after they opened, about 7:00 a.m. We spoke with another couple that was saying how bad it was, but they had eaten later than us. We ate much later the next day (about 1 hour before the breakfast ended) and saw why, none of the buffet items were refreshed, replaced or replenished. Once they are out they are out for good, even for simple items like fruit.

The final insult is on checkout, when they give you a bill in USD but with a hidden 3% "convenience" fee you have to squint to find, along with a horrible exchange rate. Luckily I was on guard at this point and noticed it and was able to pay in Baht, the local currency (with my credit card I received a better exchange rate and paid no transaction/convenience fee).

Never before have I been so glad to leave a hotel/resort/motel. We stayed at Amanpuri in Phuket after this, which was both easier to get to and much nicer, although it was higher in price (Zeavola's total was $1,500 USD for two nights, about $1,200 of which was the room and associated expenses). I think it also worth noting I think the problems here likely consistent across most the other resorts on the island (particularly the beach traffic), so I'd think twice before visiting at all.

14 Thank The_Grey_Fox_1
Florian H, General Manager at Zeavola Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear The_grey_fox
Thank you very much for your detailed description about all the things you did not enjoy. I do understand that some guests do have a certain expectation and then the resort does not matches this expectations. This must have happen in your case. Also it seems that you enjoy more main stream hotels and the closeness to nature is not necessary your cup of tea. I would like to invite all our guest who do not enjoy their vacation with us to communicate this fact. We are not a prison camp and if you really dont like your stay lets talk and find a mutual beneficial solution. Please allow me to answer on some of the points specifically>

Since we do not have a street or a back entrance the hotels on our beach do use Orange tractors not only to bring all the supplies to the storerooms but also as Limousine for our guests during low tide. This is our way of life and without them our resort could not exist. Certainly they burn fossil fuel.

it is difficult to explain the actions of our neighbors but yes they host lunch for speedboats and yes there are boats close to our section of the beach during midday. It is difficult to convince my neighbor resorts to discontinue their business. We do how ever have security in place to ensure that our guests are not disturbed. The techno concert is actually a fire show which is staged twice a week and it lasts for about 25 minutes. Many guests actually enjoy this local attractions of fearless men juggling burning oil around.

Our music is from a computer with more than 9 different sets which range from House and Chill, 70ties, Classic, Rhythm and Soul and many more. It might have been that the system was broken, but at this point it is fixed again.

We do provide washing facilities for guests in front of their villa to clean the sand off, so I'm not sure how the sand came into your sheets. I never got this comment from any other guest.

We do get a lot of delighted guest comments about the staff and their service in all areas. On the beach we have one dedicated person who gives out the towels and serves cold towels during the hottest period of the day. He also goes around and serves cold water in the afternoon. We actually do try to move heaven and earth to ensure that our guests have an excellent time on the beach.

Our gardeners do clean the beach up to three times a day, we do have winds hitting our beach and they do bring natural materials as well as some other trash, but we do clean the beach frequently.

My staff do all receive yearly intensive English courses to improve their understanding. A junior food runner who pours water will have challenges to react and speak proper English as he only would be with us for a short time. Please keep in mind that my staff also is confronted with 20 different Englishes such as the American, English, Italian, German and French English. So sometimes it gets lost even though they are trying very hard.

The main message is, that should you not enjoy your time with us kindly let us know and we will try to fix the short comings immediately. It avoids frustrations on all sides.
Florian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Traveling to Asia for the first time with my 17 yo daughter.
We simply loved the Zeavola and everything about it. From the pick up at the airport to drop off 6 days later.
Breakfast was a 10. Great selection and quality.
Spa was great. So was the restaurant and bar.
Service was impeccable. From the manager to the maid service. For the first time in my 30 years of travel I left a tip for the maid because the attention to detail was beyond the call of duty. Water was even filled in my coffemaker, and pillow surprises at turnover every day.
The manager for the activities did a great job tailoring our days with scuba, sailing, and snorkeling.
The WIFI at the room was too slow for my work application, so one of the managers took the time to set up a special WIFI for me in the lobby.
The unique resort style with the semi-authentic Thai huts was just what we wanted. Loved the outdoor half of our suite.
Some of the complaints other guests have are valid. Such as mosquitos, busy/noisy beach, lack of privacy. Personally I didn´t mind the traffic, but we spent very little time on the beach. We avoided sitting outside after sunset when the mosquitos were active, and never had any bugs in our suite. If privacy is important stay in the Garden or Pool Villa suites.
Music blasting from the other resort with a bunch of Chinese clapping to "Gangnam Style" amused rather than annoyed me.
Great spot for jogging along the beach and the sea road to the other village.
But obviously had the resort been nested in a private lagoon with village amenities within 10 min. walk, the location would have been superb.

Room Tip: The Garden and Pool Villa suites are more quiet and private.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CoolestDadEver
Florian H, General Manager at Zeavola Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Coolest Dad in the world,
I actually thought that was my title but you certainly deserve it.
Thanks for the grand review and all the kind words about our little place. It was a great pleasure to meet and get to know you both a bit. Our sailing trip was for sure very nice.

The neighbors do get a bit annoying at some point but taking it as an additional Entertainment is certainly an excellent solution.

We are all wishing you and your daughter the very best for 2013, stay healthy and successful.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Left bustling Bangkok for a few days of relaxation on this beach paradise.
Zeavola is very quiet but 4-5 days is plenty. The rooms were very well equipped with all the amenities . Except for one problem; a mirror should be mounted for a mans shaving height. The turn downs each night were wonderful and we always got a little "goodie " or gift on our pillow. The eucalyptus oils on the bed linens were a new experience. one of which i will take home with me, Food and service was excellent. The waiters took the time to get to know your name and cater to your needs. The Thai massage was the best massage I ever had.
We came for the diving. It was not up to expectations. However , the dive masters Tan and Jumbo were exceptional and made sure we had a good time and returned us safely.
Florian the general manager catered to our needs and checked on us every day. The cocktail parties were great. The fact that he is a Steelers fan made it better. It is amazing wherever you go in the world, there is always a Steelers fan and at this secluded hideaway it was not expected.
The sand did get to us the last two days. As it is wherever you walk . You have to wash your feet at night or it is in your bed!
One other thing, they could have more chaises at the pool. They are limited.
And do take the time for a short Thai cooking class; Pong was wonderful.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank merlot25
Dear Merlot25 ( Steeler Nation),
Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. So many good points which I have shared with my staff members. Especially Jumbo, Tan and Pong. We are very happy that you had such a great impression of our resort, but a bit sad that the diving fauna and flora was not to your expectations. We did have an El Ninio year in 2009 which whipped out a lot of surface corals. But the good news is that it is now coming back and I see big improvements over the last years. Being directly in a Marine National Park the dive trips are very convenient and short. Two dives and lunch and you are back at 2 pm. Compared to other dive spots in this region Phi Phi is still considered one of the best.

Yes one time living in Pittsburgh makes you a STEELER fan. A great team and a great Fan club that's for sure.
We wish you a healthy and successful year 2013. Thank you again.
Florian and the Zevolians.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

What can I say! Just got back from the most perfect 5 day stay. The villas are lovely and private, the grounds perfect, the beach fronf beautiful, the staff second to none, and the attention to detail amazing. I loved the turn down service and the welcome photo, such a thoughtful thing to do. I also loved the beach service wigh the cold towels and drinks service. Food in all restaurants was amazing. There is a bit of noise from the boats but not the issue previous reviewers have stated. We did a snorkel trip to mosquito island which was fab, we will definitely be back. Thankyou for an amazing holiday!!

Room Tip: We had one right by the pool (40), didnt have any issue with privacy and was nice to nip from the be...
1 Thank ali70w
Dear Ali70W,
I can only say a big thank you for your kind and excellent review. We are always very happy when guests have such an excellent experience.
All of my staff and myself as well are trying to create a wonderful setting for everybody to enjoy their vacation. Its your time and your space, we are here to assist in any ways possible to ensure that you have a good time.
Wishing you the very best for 2013.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Zeavola is like a cross between a luxury beach resort and the summer camp where you had your first kiss. The bungalows have that log-cabin feel - but instead of bunks you'll find a cushy big bed draped dramatically in mosquito netting (not really necessary, since they're fully enclosed), a separate bathroom across the spacious deck, admirable air conditioning, and retractable bamboo shades to make the whole thing private.

Yes, you may find lizards and centipedes in the bathroom. But the towels are fluffy, the indoor and outdoor showers come with luxurious bath products in adorably labeled miniature ceramic crocks, and housekeeping folds the ends of the toilet paper rolls into little fans.

Like any good summer camp, there's a healthy dose of outdoor activities. Do take advantage of the diving and activities center: we had a great day of diving with a small group, semi-private speedboat, and lots of personal attention from the instructors. Cian, the dive coordinator, even loaned me his own personal boots and fins! We also booked the One Day in Paradise package, which included our own private longtail boat, two excellent snorkeling locations, a (massive) picnic lunch on a beach, a trip to Monkey Beach (where the monkeys WILL walk straight up to you and ask for food), a 60-minute spa treatment, and a private candle-lit dinner on a beach.

The spa is fantastic. If you can, book a massage with Soi, I swear I saw God under this woman's hands. Not only did she give the best aromatherapy massage I've had anywhere, ever, but at the end she put my hair into an awesome braid that looked amazing and lasted a couple of days, adding just the right panache to my vacation photos (I think this is a signature move for the spa, since I saw several other women sporting the same 'do around the resort).

All that said, if all you want to do is romance your loved one on a quiet beach, Zeavola may not be for you. Very few of the bungalows are beach-front, and between the longboats and tractors the beach can get pretty noisy. The swimming area is not huge, and is occasionally breached by boats loading and unloading passengers. The resort is also sandwiched between two other resorts, one of which seems to cater exclusively to big groups of Chinese families, and Zeavola itself is kid-friendly (although most of the kids while we were there seemed to be French, and there is something inherently un-annoying about French kids that, if I could, I would bottle and put in the water everywhere else).

Also, the "private beachfront dinner" is about ten feet away from the outdoor restaurant. You have a nice view of the beach, the boats, and the forty Chinese families watching the fire show at the resort down the beach.

None of these were deal-breakers for us. The island is beautiful and Zeavola is just so charming, romantic, and unique, with such friendly and attentive staff, that it was easy to dismiss any flaws. Our only regret was not spending more time there.

2 Thank GnomeDepot
Florian H, General Manager at Zeavola Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Gnome Depot,

And the OSCAR for best ever review goes to:??? ..... Gnome Depot "and the crowed goes wild"

Since i have made it my task to answer every Tripadvisor comment last November, your review was the one with the most character and had extreme high Observation value. It is so well written that it made the entire Management team giggle and smile. Furthermore it gave me a chance to emphasize on the importance of our small details. Your detailed descriptions of the little gestures really encompasses all our efforts of being different, friendly and attentive to the needs of our guests.

We have shared your compliments with Cian and Soi. I can only agree with you since Soi really put me back in shape when my should froze up and i needed physio but could not go every day to Phuket hospital. She is great.

As of now we have moved the private dinner area to a more romantic part of our beach. Thanks for this suggestion.

We would love to welcome you back sometimes kindly write to me directly gm@zeavola.com to ensure that you are well taken care of.

The Zeavola Family and I wishes you a healthy 2013 stay successful and enjoy the big city.
Florian
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Zeavola for a week in May 2012. We really loved the attentiveness of the staff and felt well looked after at all times. We took a ferry from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi which took around an hour and a half. The Zeavola staff met us on a smaller boat and then transferred us to the hotel in a longtail boat. After checking in at the delightful outdoor reception space, we were shown our little house. Our private bungalow was air-conditioned and was always turned down beautifully when we came back from our dinner. The outdoor shower was heavenly after swimming and snorkeling. Even now, the smell of mint takes me back to using their gorgeous shampoo and conditioner!

The food was possibly the best I have had in any hotel/resorts in Asia. We practically lived at the restaurant! The best dishes were the seared tuna with lemongrass and the sticky rice with mango and coconut milk. Amazing.

We also had massages at the spa (as it rained for our entire holiday!), which were lovely.

The only reasons I haven't given this resort full stars is because of the close proximity to other resorts along the same stretch of beach. The only bad think about this was that you didn't feel entirely isolated and alone when on the beach -although that will hardly be an issue for some people! Also, the weather was too bad for us to be able to go on a speedboat to neighbouring island Ko Phi Phi Leh. It was HUGELY disappointing because this was one of the main reasons we had chosen to go to Zeavola resort. However, this wasn't the fault of anyone but the weather, and the staff were very apologetic. After all, they can't do anything that would endanger their guest's safety.

All in all, this was an expensive holiday, but well worth it if you want a very relaxing and luxurious stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Singaporebadger,
Thank you for your belated review. We were very pleased about all the good comments and shared your points about the food and the service quality with the concerning persons. That you still remember our resort Is a sign that you still have fond memories about your stay.
It seems that you have just caught this one week in which it really did rain most of the time. The so called rainy season is actually not as bad. We do get about 20% less rain than Phuket and Krabi. Phi Phi does not have enough landmass to produce its own rain system. Phuket and Krabi rains seem to get stuck over there, so that we only get the left overs.. We have installed a beach camera to be found on our website. Visitors can observe our beach 24 hours to determine that the amounts of rain we have are really little.

We would love to have you back to make the visit at Mayabay a wish come true. Please write to me directly to assist you in any way possible.

We are wishing you still a wonderful and healthy 2013. We would be happy to welcome you back.
Florian and the Zeavola family
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Zeavola is one of the most unique hotels to be found. A lot of thought was clearly given when building it and decorating it. If you are into a modern style hotel, it probably isn't for you. We were looking for a more "warm" or "authentic" experience, and it was exactly that. The rooms are very unique. We had 2 showers, one indoor and one outdoor, and the livingroom is wide open (but coverable when desired) which is very nice and fun too (although we didn't spend too much time there due to the damn mosquitos). Most apparent is the excellent service in the hotel. We can't emphasize it enough - after just a day some of the staff members knew us by name and remembered our room number. Always very kind and very helpful for each request or inquiry we had. They are also relatively good English speakers, which is hard to come by. The hotel manager is very nice and friendly as well. We also enjoyed the complimentary cocktail party, and the included breakfast is AMAZING!
What makes it a very good value in our mind instead of excellent, is mainly the location and beach - the hotel beach isn't so nice, we went in the water for a minute and then right out. The actual beach beds are great, but the water is right next to loads of boats coming in and out all day, and besides the lack of peacefullness their engines pollute the air you breath when bathing. There are also strange green/black algy in it, and the water isn't clear as in almost all other beaches in the island. The sand is full of broken glass pieces (the whole beach stretch, not only in the Zeavola beach) and even though it is being picked up daily by some workers it seems to never end (we never understood where it comes from). Walking barefoot is not safe. In order to visit other beatches you need a taxi boat which gets quite expensive after a few days. Other things that could have been better are the pool (not attractive at all) and the WiFI which is very flacky and not very usable, at least not from our villa, throughout the entire 3 days.
All in all, we are super happy with Zeavola. We enjoyed our stay a lot and hope to be back one day...

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vividplanet,
Thank you very much for your very positive review and the very nice words you had for the staff and our efforts. It is correct that during lunch the neighboring resort is visited by speedboats to bring the guest for lunch, which creates some locomotion also on our beach. We try to control it as much as possible. During Feb we did have quite some wind which brought some seaweed and debris to our beach, Our staff is cleaning our part of the beach daily up to three times. Now the water is calmer and clean again. There are no algae any more. A great opportunity to see our beach live is on our website on the left hand lower corner there is a button to visit our live stream from our beach camera. We are just upgrading our wifi to make it better, in the low season we will actually cable wireless points into each villa. But being on an island we depend on the functionality of the links provided by the company.
we are very grateful that you had such a good time and would be happy to welcome you back some time.
Wishing you both an excellent year 2013, stay healthy and successful.