“Not for single people”

P.P. Erawan Palms Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

To start off, if you're single, stay in Tonsi Bay. That's were the bars and women are. Just full of tourists.

Here we are on a 2 hour boat ride from Phuket, thinking this is going to be awesome. Well, it was not what we were expecting and really did wish we did more research.
This was no place for 4 single guys just looking to meet women and do a little partying.
It'd be nice if you are going there with your girlfriend/fiancé/wife.

There is really nothing to do here. Everything stops at 10pm.

The resort is ok and would be better if the mattresses were a little more comfortable (though we found in Phuket and koh samui, the beds aren't comfortable there either). The pool is done rather cheaply and a little run down. No pool bar either. Beach is nice and that's really all you can look forward too, although the beach is better as you walk down past the holiday inn.

It's safe to say, I won't be going there again.
I'll repeat, if you are single, Tonsi bay is the place to be.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joey696s

Reviewed January 8, 2014

PP Erawan came highly recommended from family and friends, and we weren't disappointed. The staff were excellent, really attentive and always had a smile on their faces. Our room was huge (I think it was a deluxe or superior queen?), and was very comfortable except for the hard bed. This is quite standard across Thailand, so we were used to not having a super soft bed.

The wifi actually did reach our room (I just had to play around with the IP settings), but not having routers across the resort is a major pain for modern travellers wanting to call home from the privacy of their own room/s.

The restaurant attached to the hotel (Sawasdee) is reasonably priced and shares the same staff as the resort, so you can add those meals to your tab and pay at the end.

If you want to do day trips to Tonsai (Phi Phi Don's port) or further, you can arrange that directly with the hotel. We sorted out our own long tail boat for the day (by finding someone on the beach) to explore Maya Bay and surrounds, but in retrospect a speed boat may have been a better option (more time snorkelling and less time in between).

Try to pick up as much water, snacks and liquor before you get to Laem Tong as the supplies on that end of Phi Phi Don are much more scarce and cost more than the main port of Tonsai. I would recommend getting the shuttle to Tonsai and back if you do need supplies, and organising that with PP Erawan (it's no cheaper to do it yourself, and the long tails to Tonsai are more expensive if their's just two of you).

There's a pool at PP Erawan, but it doesn't get used too much as the ocean is right there. During December 2013 we had fairly windy conditions, so the water wasn't particularly calm - but that's nobody's fault. I would recommend that PP Erawan finish building their pool bar (it looks amazing!) to encourage more folk to take a swim in the later hours of the day.

Room Tip: If you want some form of wifi, try and be as close as possible to reception. Otherwise the further b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tyce C
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The room and bathroom were very nice, clean and quite new. We also had a little balcony facing a little back garden.
You had two bottles of complimentary water each day and another two white bottles of water, they left if in the bathroom so we supposed it was for brushing teeth and so.

Another good thing was that when we had to leave an take the ferry to the pier, they collected the luggage of all people leaving in the same ferry, bring it there and make sure everyone was taking it. They had it very organized. For the arrival, you have to do it on your own, we arrived to the hotel by taxi boat as we were coming from another part of the island.

Breakfast was good, you had quite a variety of food to pick up from.

Bad things: there is no wifi in the room, only in the lobby, which nowadays, in a hotel like that is not very acceptable. One of the days it rained the whole evening and internet in the room would have been good.

Finally, I would not recommend this part of the island (Laem Tong Beach )as the beach was not clean, it was full of pieces of plastic, even cristal, wood... there were some so-called sea gipsies that were burying empty plastic bottles right in the beach... it was really sad looking at the dirty beach in such a beautiful paradise. We were before in the Long Beach, and even if the beach was not very big it was really beautiful, clean, white sand, Cristal clear waters...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ISABEL R
Reviewed January 1, 2014

What a pleasant experience.
Everything was perfect. The service was excellent.
Room and bathroom were big, perfectly clean and very comfortable.
All amenities and facilities were good. Breakfast was excellent with many options of cold and hot food. Fresh fruit available.
Please note that this hotel is in a secluded part of Kho Phi Phi and the journey take almost an extra hour from the main pier. However it's all clear and also easy to go by ferry. Just make sure you tell the staff in the pier when you buy the tickets. Also, this part of Kho Phi Phi is for relaxing only, do not expect any parties or crazy nights.
I was planning on staying one night only, but booked an extra night. One of the highlights of my 3 week trip to Asia.
I really hope to visit this part of Kho Phi Phi and this resort again in the future. Perfect for romantic trips, but also good for families and solo travellers (like me) looking for a break.
Paradise!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paolo R
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at. Our travel agent Andaman Adventures (top marks to them for a wonderful tour of the region at prices we could afford) recommended it, which was good, as otherwise we’d never have found this little gem of a place. The service they provide at the Erawan is excellent, starting when you get picked up at the main island for transfer to the resort. The resort is located away from the main party zone and you can’t be guarabteed a ride back if you finish up in the bars late and if the waves are high at this time – well, that’s what the resort’s receptionist told us and it right put me off a night on the tiles, even though I had been looking forward to that quite a bit – actually that was the main reason for visiting PP, so I was surprised to end up having a completely different but totally great experience of another, calmer variety. We did our fair share of partying on our tour of the region, particularly in Ao Nang and Railay, so it wasn’t a hardship to just bliss out on Phi Phi.
The breakfast was good and offered tons of variety, with the sausages and eggs my favourite – I don’t know what it is, but I just don’t do foreign food for breccie. I like Thai food and enjoyed the grub at this resort, but strictly for dinner and maybe lunch only, for breakfasts it’s the traditional English for me.
The overall experience is one of simplicity and class. The resort are aware that they are located in a remote spot, so lay on entertainments – think Thai boxing show meets Thai curly-fingered dancing and you just about have it – I have seen much better quality shows that this one, but it was still fun and enjoyable – my wife even got up to dance for a bit, looking really big next to the tiny Thai girls. It was entertainment enough for me to have a tasty dinner watching the longboats sway in the waves and listening to the sound of the surf – nature’s best relaxant, in my opinion, my wife thinks it’s also an aphrodisiac …
If you are looking to relax away from the party zone then this part of the island is for you and the Erawan Palms is a good choice. We stayed 4 nights which was enough as there’s not much to do here – after we had taken a boat trip out to go snorkeling on the reef we were kind of done.

We had a bungalows is one row behind the ones closer to the beach/pool. It was spacious, clean, and AC working perfectly (not noisy at all), good size bathroom, although shower is a bit on the soft side for me. In-room safe, but no wifi in the rooms.. only around pool-side and front desk area, which is fine cause you get a scene while surfing.

The staff are nice and very friendly but their English is not so great, so it was difficult to have a conversation. I could order anything I wanted and even got a problem with the shower fixed with no fuss, but in terms of getting to know people it was impossible, my wife made several attempts to get behind the smiles and find out what makes these people tick but had no luck.
This hotel has a really great massage hut, set facing the sea. It was a wonderful feeling to get a rub there, I recommend the oil massage as my wife found the oil-less one (called ‘Thai’ massage) a bit painful. The Erawan offers good value for money and the rooms are modern, clean and very nice. The shower wouldn’t do warm, only hot or cold, but this is the sort of thing you expect outside 5 star places in Thailand. Wifi was unavailable in the rooms, which was a bit of a pain.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kabir S
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Overall a fun stay! We spent Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing Day here. The room, pool and facilities were good. The gala party was great - the staff tried very hard to keep us entertained. I won a box of tea bags and a Thai massage in the raffle ha! The food was plentiful albeit slightly bland at times. The staff were always pleasant, smiling and attended to our needs. Patrick the guest relations manager was very helpful! We took a long tail boat to phi phi ley/maya bay for 6hrs with another couple at the hotel. Best trip! Beautiful crystal white sand and blue water a must see in my opinion! There are 3 other hotels and a local restaurant called Jasmine if you get bored of the in house Sawasdee restaurant. The only downsides were lack of wifi in the room, tourists coming from Phuket in their truck loads, lack of poolside bar and lack of vegetarian food on the menu (although this is a problem in most places tbh).

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

After about a 2hour boat trip you reach the destination and get greated with a complimentary drink and cool face towl!

Patrick was awesome, friendly and very helpful! Staff was also very friendly and always smiling (you would too if you worked there I suppose ;-) )

Room was lovely and great effort to keep it at such a level considering the remoteness of the location. We found everything we needed from the rooms, and honestly..if you're staying at Erawans and worried about the room I think your missing the picture.

Breakfast can be had on the beach and starts at 6am (sunrise is wonderful) pool area for kids still being repaired (2013 Dec). The beach has no waves and is shallow for about 15meters - very nice! The end of the day finishes with dinner on the beach with sunset around 19h00ish. Very romantic atmosphere.

Rented a long boat and went snorkeling and even fishing.

I must agree with other reviewers regarding the price of food, it is expensive! All of it was good quality though and well presented on the plates.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple