“Loved it, wish had booked in for longer!”
Review of Bay View Resort

Bay View Resort
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Bangkok, Thailand
“Loved it, wish had booked in for longer!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Beautiful rooms, large balcony, perfect fr a drink or two before sunset. Views of the bay. Really good breakfast buffet. Staff really great, very smiley and friendly. Towels for beach and pool provided, beach side restaurant was great, the food was excellent. really enjoyed our stay here, I would definitely return. Koh Phi Phi is a place where it is better to pay a bit more for accommodation compared to the rest of Thailand, splash out and have a great stay at the Bay View

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amydevo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mougins, France
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This place is living on the reputation of Koh Phi Phi. No effort is made to keep the resort pleasant, the older bungalows are terrible state of disrepair, the newer ones are next to a very noisy power generator, the place for breakfast is really bad. Do not book here. My recommendation is to book a resort which is right on long beach.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jpm57

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The resort is in a nice, quiet location of the Island! The room was quite spacious and clean although had no sea view and was up the hill.....nice overall!

On the other hand we experienced the worst, by far, reception service of our trip!

The older woman on reception was absolutely disgusting!

I will never recommend this place and will never stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
Regina, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

When we first arrived, the staff was very accomodating.....I'll get into the front desk in a bit. The rooms were a little run down, but we expected that. What I was very disgruntled about, was that i went to place my valuables in the safe, and it wasn't bolted down...it had been ripped out of the closet. I phoned down to reception, and they did nothing about it. I had to store my valuables in a friends room. Anyone with a butter knife could break into these rooms. Everything is wired with three way switches, so it took us 20 minutes how to figure out the lighting system...because it is wired wrong. However, I loved the layout of the balcony and the rooms. One cool thing,(this is coming from a plumber and you may find it inconvenient), you have to turn the A/C to 18 degrees for 20-25 minutes before you have a shower. Very efficient! Unfortunately, I had a bad ankle sprian when we arrived so I found the hike to the rooms very difficult. I am in fairly good shape and it would have been okay without the injury. However, if you are overweight, old, out of shape, this place is NOT for you! On another note: the hike up to the room was beautiful! Well maincured trees(in shapes of animals), beautiful trees and flowers..etc. Food at the restaurant was excellent, service was good. The beach was okay but we found a lot of broken glass... Hazard! Back to the front desk: I was trying to get some information out of the 3 people at the front desk, and they didn't even acknowledge me for 5 minutes...I ended up yelling " can't you see me!" Still, no acknowledegment. I walked away pissed off. The next day, we called the front desk for the cart/bell boys two hours before our boat was leaving. She said they will be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, we called again....she said "they are one their way". 20 minutes later.....still nothing. I ended up taking the 20 minute hike to the front desk, only to find that the bell boys had not been sent at all! We were livid! The bell boys were great but the front desk......I have never had such terrible service. Overall, I would eat there, but I would NEVER stay there again! There are many hotels on Ko phi phi....I do not reccomend this one. It was the worst of the 6 that we stayed in while travelling.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Don't listen to some of the negative reviewers. They are just being way too picky.
Complaining about things like: having to be in the room for the air con to work, having to have the air con on to get hot water and having to climb some steps to get to your villa are just ridiculous.

This area of thailand is a mountainous region. The pictures of the resort clearly show that there are some steps to take to reach the villas. There are about 30 steps on a steep grade and then it levels out to a shallow incline. No problem for young people and probably a good idea to get that heart rate up a little bit while on vacation. For injured people or the elderly they may have some issues.

I stayed in A608 which is just up the 30 steps. Good view of the bay. New superior wing. This room meets western standards.

Yes, when you enter the room you place your key into a slot to acquire power to the room. This is an extremely smart and environmentally friendly system that saves energy. Why blast the AC all day when you're not even using it? It takes about 10 minutes to cool the room down. AC too noisy? Try using the remote control to adjust the fan speed. It is quite comfortable at low setting and not too noisy for an extremely light sleeper like myself.

Have to wait 5 minutes for hot water? So sorry to hear that. That AC unit has to be on because the heat that is produced by that unit is used to heat the water for the shower. Another genius system that cuts cost for the resort.

Rooms were clean. Beds were very comfortable. Bathrooms clean and simple. Maid service each day.

The manager was very nice, but I can sense has not too much tolerance for guests who demand the impossible. You are in thailand remember. I liked her.

10 min walk to everywhere. Quiet at night. Perfect location in my opinion. Breakfast was great each morning.

The issue we had for 2 couples was that one couple got 2 twins instead of a big queen bed. They asked for another room but the one that did have a big queen didn't have a view of the bay so they stuck it out. That's why it gets 3 stars. Even still I would recommend it to others. We looked at a lot of resorts on the island and after having walked around and seen the other resorts we were happy with our choice.

If you can get a room that has your bed type. Has a view of the bay in the superior new wing, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CaptainZirk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Well what can I say we were booked into the Bay View Hotel for 6 nights for the final relaxation of our 3 weeks travelling in Thailand. Having had some awesome Thai experiences in Bangkok and the North and having experienced some truly beautiful clean traditional thai accommodation at unbelievably cheap prices, it was time to chillout and have some luxury relaxation WRONG what an extremely disappointing experience. Being a long time backpacker and having stayed in the basic of accommodation I was used to the simple things in life. but yeh we decided to upgrade

However, having splashed out on a superior new wing accommodation prior to our arrival we discovered on arrival that they could not accommodate our request, due to ill health we had requested accommodation near reception as my friend has a bad back. The hotel at no point advised us prior to our arrival that the new wing was half way up a mountain. Our alternative a room right next door to the construction site or deluxe apartment. Well there was nothing deluxe about it please do not book if you are on a romantic holiday, honeymoon or generally just wanting to enjoy quality accommodation, in peaceful surroundings as it was anything but... over priced and tired. Rooms are of an extremely low standard and staff are rude and abrupt.
We checked out after one evening and explained to the Manageress that the reason we were checking out early was due to the very poor standard of accommodation which did not match the description on their website and that the alternative accommodation which we were offered was also of an extremely poor standard.
I would suggest if you do plan to stay at Bay View Resort please ask to see your room first before settling your account that way you can decide whether it is satisfactory. The hotel refused to refund our full money due and infact charged us a 10% bank card fee which obviously we felt was totally unacceptable given that both Booking.com and Bay View Website mis-represented the standard of accommodation offered.
The Positives: Quick boat ride to Phi Phi markets, Great if you are a backpacker and want basic accommodation away from the noise of Tonsai
The Negatives:
Air conditioning doesn't work unless you are actually in the cabin. As you can imagine, air conditioning is required 24/7 in Thailand's climate. Air con also rather loud for light sleepers
There was also a problem with the air conditioning as it was connected to the water
heating system so we had to ensure that we turned on the air conditioning first and then the water would get hot.
Mosquito net required in the bedrooms on an evening
Noisy construction work within the resort
More of a backpacker feel, than resort thus coming from an original backpacker
Noise from the constant long boats passing and the smell of diesel gave me a constant migraine
Snorkelling not recommend due to the passing boat trade very dangerous
Rooms simple, musty and requiring a fresh coat of paint.
Bathrooms simple poor standard and water pressure not great
Prices in the restaurant over exaggerated and service poor
For a wee bit more in money, quality luxury accommodation then I would happily recommend in long beach it was awesome and more than made up for our poor experience
Lots of steps and a hard climb fine for me but definitely not for the elderly or anyone who may have difficulty walking

Finally, we booked into a chalet in Long Beach which was right on the beach, great service, food and gorgeous rooms no comparison to the Bay View Resort which I would be more than happy to recommend, feel free to drop me an email. Please see pictures attached from Bay View

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie D
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Location beautiful, rooms and food great, bell service boys awesome...however, the frony desk staff we dealt with was extremely rude, disorganized, and unhelpful which put a damper on the en db of our stay there.

• Stayed February 2014