“Amazing!”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Having read the reviews, looked at the pictures and done all my research. Phi Phi Island Village was more than I expected.
The apartments are super clean - and i have an OCD cleaning problem. The views were fantastic. Staff are unnaturally friendly - sometimes too much.
However i did find it a little expensive, £30 for a meal for 2 from the Buffett was too much. Don't get me wrong the food was out of this world - best food i have had in years - expecially the fish, curries, pasta, deserts, bread, shell fish, salads. The chef here knows what he is doing. Prices could of been cheaper - They do offer Al La Carte - which is much cheaper. I loved this place so much I would come back - but maybe not for 10 days. I think 5 days is enough especially when you have the rest of Krabi/Phucket etc to see. If anybody does go - please say hello to Dee (works in restaurant) she has been working there for 20 yrs and she does know how to smile! She made our holiday!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Whitleybay
Write a ReviewReviews (4,429)

Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed at the Phi Phi Island Village for one night in Feb. 2007.

We took Sea Angel Cruise from Phuket to PP Island. We joined the PP half day tour and it is highly recommended to go to Maya Bay for snorkeling. After lunch in Tonsai Bay, we went to the small counter of Phi Phi Island Village which is located just right beside the pier. The staff then took us to the resort by longtail boat.

Things were so perfect, we were upgraded to the new Beachfront junior suite #106. DVD player, CD player, LCD TV, Jacuzzi bathtub are available. The suite is huge and the bathroom is almost the same size as bedroom. However, the room was too dark at night, because there were only two table lamps in the bedroom. The bathtub was not clean, as I found few hairs in the bathtub.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Prices of the souvenirs in the resort’s gift shop were reasonable. We had buffet dinner in the resort for about THB750++/pax. The taste was great, but there were not so many selections. The breakfast was not as good as dinner.

If you expected to have snorkeling, the sea is too shallow. You need to walk in the water for 15 to 20 minutes for the coral reef.

I did not have many activities, but just hanging around the beach, as I just stayed for one night. Next time, I will definitely be back to this resort and will stay for more days.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sookchieh
Reviewed April 10, 2007

This resort is well priced for what it has to offer. I would recommend opting for the 'lowest' priced bungalows as I can't really see the benefit of having a bungalow facing the sea. It's only a 2 minute walk to the seafront anyway and I think the bungalows at the back are much more quiet during the day and late evening.

The only thing I would caution is that the lowest priced bungalows only have a curtain separating the shower/toilet from the bathroom. The bathroom itself also doesn't have a door. So you must really be a couple (and also comfortable with eachother) to opt for this type of bungalow.

I think the room rates are probably under priced and the hotel makes up for it with the food and activity prices. Although I don't want to really complain about the food prices as the resort is fairly remote and I found the food to be v. good despite some previous comments.

What I would complain about is the service at the 'Marlin Restaurant' which has a very good a la carte menu. The food is delicious but sometimes you really have to be prepared to wait for it. We had a few bad experiences such as someone's food being served after 20 minutes and another on the same table after 1 hour etc. This did happen a few times so I don't think it's a one-off. Although once or twice they were also very prompt. I guess all I am saying is, go with a 'relaxed' attitude and be prepared to 'hang out' in the restaurant for quite some time if eating there.

For the activities I would 'strongly' recommend the following. RENT a long tail boat. At the time we went (April 2007) these were about 1600 Baht for 4 hours. They can take up to 6 adults on board. You can then rent snorkeling equipment (200 Baht each) and basically go anywhere you like and have your own itinerary. Much more satisfying than taking one of the expensive tours of the hotel. The only hotel activit worth signing up for I think is the shark snorkeling as the sea can be a bit choppy at the location you are taken, and the hotel provides a more sturdy boat.

I would also recommend paying the longtail boat 'captain' a bit more to persuade him to take you to the 2 bida islands which are at the southern tip of Phi Phi. The variety of fish are incredible and you can't miss the barracudas.

The beach is really non existant during the day when the tide goes out, but makes for a lovely swim at night. This is because the water is so shallow that at full tide you can literally walk into the sea for more than a hundred yards, and just relax on the water watching the stars.

Also hire a longtail boat to go to Tonsai which is 20 minutes by boat or 1 hour walk. I did both. The walk is only recommended for the agile as it can get a little bit slippery and rough at times. However, once I walked this route, I kind of became hooked on it. The walk is in effect taking you to the 'back' of Tonsai so it is a bit of a surprise how quickly you reach it on foot compared to the long distance you cover by boat.

Tonsai is well worth the visit 2 or 3 times. I would make at least one trip a day. The best time to go is in the evening / late afternoon. I tried most of the restaurants recommended by previous travellers on the Internet and I think the best for me was Cosmic. Their pizzas are really nice (Mediterranean style). Pitty about the service at Cosmic which comes with a frown. If you do catch a smile, take a photo as it will be a rare gem to keep.

The night life is a bit hit and miss and some nights the bars are totally empty. Shopping for summer wear is also very good at Tonsai and there are dozens of diving shops peppering the main street if you want a cheap dive. The hotel itself also has a pricy dive shop but although I love my scuba, having asked around a bit I really couldn't see the benefit of diving over snorkeling in most of the dive sites suggested.

Another walk I would suggest is to go to the back of the hotel, through the gate sign posted as 'staff' and see the back of the island. You will first walk through the sleeping quarters of some of the hotel staff (which is a sad sight) and you will then see the back of the island where you can still witness some of the damage of the Tsunami. The beach at the back of the island is also full of crabs. I took this walk a couple of times and it's worth doing it at night as well.

Better stop writing as there would then be no point in actually visiting this place!

All in all the PP island village resort is recommended.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank BahramTehran
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
From the moment you get your first glimpse of this resort you know your holiday is going to be special. We got picked up from our hotel and driven to the Marina where we were transferred to a speedboat to go to the island that took around 1.5 hours.
They then transferred us to a tractor contraption that took us to the beach. You are welcomed and taken to an area and given towels and a beautiful coconut drink. They check you in and then explain all the information of the resort. A porter then takes you to your bungalow. We had booked a Thai style superior bungalow that is set amongst beautiful tropical gardens. The bungalow is very spacious with a huge bed covered on our arrival with frangipani’s and hibiscus. Hibiscus and Frangipanis were scattered all around the bungalow and you are given a fruit tray and lots of water.
The resort has 3 restaurants, 3 bars, Internet café, spa centre, gift shop and activity centre. Breakfast is included in the price, which is varied and delicious, make sure you try the coconut jam we bought 2 jars home with us. The beach is very clean and the water clean and glistening. Sure at low tide the beach is not so great but the pool is spacious and caters for kids with a slippery dip into the water. The island bar is also great (make sure you have the coconut cocktail).
We hired a long tail boat for 2 days and explored the island. The long tail boat costs 1300 baht, you can walk to the other resorts up the way about 10 minutes but the cost is much the same. The minimum time is 4 hours and if you stay longer you just pay the captain 200 baht per hour. We took the boat for 5 hours one day and 7 the next.
We explored every inch of the island and stopped many times to snorkel and swim. We had lunch both days at Tonsai, and did a bit of shopping from the markets, (fixed prices so no bargaining). Tonsai is still in the state or repair from the Tsunami with lots of building and mess everywhere, but they are getting on with it. Our boat captain was just great and took us to some great spots not just the touristy bits.
On the map that they give you at reception Lana Bay looks quite away from the resort but its only 10 minutes walk. You go out the back of the resort and will find lots of bars and restaurants, a beauty salon, shop, massages (we paid 300 baht for a traditional thai massage) The Broadbridge Education Centre is well worth a visit also. We ate at the Monkey bar one night cheap and delicious.
There used to be a resort at Lana Bay but it got ruined by the Tsunami and has not been rebuilt. The path going to Lana Bay is well defined about 2 metres wide of concrete blocks, a new bridge has been built over the creek.
Sunset is a must from Lana Bay, we took G&T’s over with some cheese and bread and watched a magnificent sunset.
We also visited the Fishing village along the shores of Lana Bay, I had brought toys, hair ties etc and we distributed these to the beautiful and appreciative children at the village. To see their happy faces makes going to Phi Phi Island very special.
I would have to say that everything at the resort was great, I would recommend it as a great place to stay as you have a fantastic holiday and get to mix with the locals. I definitely will be going back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank aquablu1313
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I was here with my boyfriend for relaxation after a few days in Bangkok. The facilities are brilliant - there are frangipani flowers everywhere. Even one in the toilet bowl when you arrive! Free tennis, internet facilities, a spa amongst the treetops - (which was the most relaxing part of the trip - I recommend a massage around 7pmish when you can hear the frogs in the trees). All staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Although the hotel is very secluded and to get there you will have to plan your journey. It's definately worth the wait! Food was good, but as you'd expect a little higher in price than the mainland. I have no qualms in recommending this place.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank orangebeeach
Reviewed March 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three days as part of our honeymoon and I wished it were for more! I miss it already....We had come from Bangkok, so it was a nice change to go from hustle and bustle to rest and relaxation!

1. Take a speedboat to the resort. It's about an hour and a half and it was so exhilarating! The ferry takes a lot longer and in the calm waters, the speedboat was so worth it.

2. Service is EXCELLENT. The minute you get there, you're served a cool coconut drink and welcomed with big smiles. The hut we got was prime (beachfront) and it was awesome seeing the ocean when we woke up every morning. The huts are very comfortable with air conditioning and all the amenities.

3. Breakfast was great! The selection of food was delicious and the fruit is amazing. I will miss the pineapple and mango.

4. Bring LOTS of sunscreen. Everywhere I went, I saw lobster red people. I put so much sunscreen on, but I still got burnt in some areas. That's why all the Thai people are so dark! Their sun is potent.

5. Water is provided, which is so nice of them.

6. Don't go on the hike to the other side of the island. Not only did I get bitten by mosquitos (I didn't get bitten any other time I was there), but the pathways are not that clear.

7. Internet is not free, but why are you checking email when you should be out in the sun having fun?

8. The snorkeling tour to Maya Island was so fun. They stop in various places to let you swim and snorkel. The snorkeling is great. The fish come right up to you!

9. Don't feed the birds. You'll see what I mean.

10. Take LOTS of pictures! The sunsets and flora of the island is gorgeous. They pluck the flowers right off of the bush to put in your room. It's these little touches that make this place so special. Loved it and know you will too!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SassyGRL
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We stayed at this resort in August 2006 during the last few days of our honeymoon , which consisted of a 3-week tour of Thailand. We did not make reservations at all before leaving Canada, and just stumbled upon hotels as we arrived in various places. We arrive on Phi Phi island and were very disappointed at how commercial and touristy it was compared to our stays at Railay and Ko Samui. We decided to splurge and stayed 3 nights at Phi Phi Island Village because it was more isolated. We were in heaven there! It was by far the most luxurious place we experienced in Thailand - the beds were soft, the pillows were soft, the rooms were nicely decorated and very clean, with fresh flowers everywhere. The staff was super friendly and the food was delicious, although pricey in comparison to other places we had been. We also enjoyed the gorgeous pool, and the beach and water were wonderfully clear and blue. It was a wonderful way to end our holiday. It seemed very deluxe to us!

We would advise anyone reading some of these reviews to take them with a grain of salt. We realized quickly upon arriving in Thailand that we were no longer in Canada and certain comforts we take for granted here are simply non-existent there. With that in mind, this resort blew us away because it was just so luxurious compared to some other places we had been to!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple