“Beautiful location, relaxing stay!”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My hubby and I had a great time at Outrigger. I was a bit concerned because of a few negative reviews, and the most important factor for me is the cleanliness of any hotel--with that said, Outrigger did not disappoint!

We left Patong Beach and opted to take the speedboat instead of the public ferry. It cost us 1500 baht each person for the speedboat, but it was well worth it. It was quite a ride and you get completely soaked, but my husband and I viewed the trip as a long, enjoyable roller coaster ride (speedboat takes about 1.30 min, and ferry takes 2+hours plus extra time waiting for baggage). When we got to the pier, Outrigger employees quickly found us and guided us to a longtail boat that would take us to the resort, which was another 30 minute ride (200 baht per person that is automatically charged to your hotel bill).

The resort is absolutely beautiful. It might take a bit of time to actually get to the resort from the longtail, depending on whether the tide is in or not. When you get to the lobby, you are offered virgin pina coladas which I loved. The lady who helped us check in was very helpful and super friendly. I wish I could remember her name! Check-in wasn't the fastest, but we didn't mind since we were able to take advantage of the lobby wi-fi. Upon check-in, we were told that the manager had upgraded us from the deluxe bungalows to the superior bungalows which were newly renovated. They are located in the back of the resort (about 5-7 minute walk from lobby, and 7 minute walk to the pool). We didn't find this a bother because it was a quick walk to the village located right behind the resort, which we visited quite frequently to eat at the knockout bar, pad thai restaurant, and buffalo bar???

The superior bungalow was amazing. The bathroom was my favorite part--modern and chic, and spacious. I hate bugs, but I expected them because we were on an island. I tend to freak out at the sight of bugs in my room, but it didn't bother me much in our bungalow. Mosquitoes were quite a bother, however, I do believe that the hotel will spray your room if you ask for it (we didn't receive this service, but I heard an employee offer it to a guest when we were checking out of the resort; not sure if this is a free service or not). I thought the room was spacious enough for just us two, and I felt very comfortable so I highly recommend this room!

I ordered a pina colada at the pool because I enjoyed the free one from check in so much... but to my disappointment, it tasted different and not as refreshing. It was also expensive. The price of the drinks/food are actually not bad, but what makes it expensive is the automated gratuity (including tax of course). The gratuity was incredibly high so I would imagine that ordering hotel food/drinks everyday could quickly rack up a nice fat bill. We visited the village for almost every meal and I would recommended all three of the restaurants I named above.

In terms of tours--we didn't go through any of the hotel services. I took the recommendation of other reviewers and went to the knockout bar to find Mr. Chet. He and his wife are very nice--my husband and I basically got a private tour because we were the only ones to sign up the day before he and his family left for a vacation, which they only take once a year! So we were lucky to catch him right before his departure. It cost 1200 baht for a tour around the different beaches/lagoons/snorkeling, which included a lunch made by his wife. We enjoyed our fried rice and pinaepple while relaxing on our longtail boat in a beautiful lagoon, basking in the sun. Mr. Chet brings his own camera to take pictures for you during the entire trip, and he does a great job! He took a lot of pictures for us, nonstop, and did a spectacular job taking photos while snorkeling as well. I also heard that andy scuba diving is good too, but I was happy with my experience with Mr. Chet.

The breakfast at Outrigger is decent but nothing amazing. We didn't dine in any of the hotel facilities, so can't comment on the restaurants. We never had trouble finding sunbeds at the pool either--the one problem, however, was finding chairs that had the little mattresses on them because there were many that were missing them.

I also really wanted to go to the spa, but was unable to do so. We actually received a 25% discount coupon for coupon packages, but my husband and I did not bring enough cash. Remember to exchange enough money before you go to the island because there are no ATMs! Of course, we could have charged the services to our hotel bill, but I just decided not to get anything done because I didn't want to miss being out in the sun. All in all, Outrigger was a fabulous escape and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank achung03

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Great accommodation, clean rooms, great service, easy transfers. Laundry service was late getting our clothes but quick to return them when they were asked. Coconut Grill Hut glorious food and drinks, wonderful happy hour. Great pool - best on our trip. Would definitely book again well worth the cost.
Breakfast buffett was stunning, the middle restaurant which I can't remember the name of was a little on the down side and they struggled to make a bloody mary but every where else was delicious.

Room Tip: Superior bungalow was stunning enough for us
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoanyNZ
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We spent most of our honeymoon on this island paradise. The resort is beautiful and the staff very friendly and willing to help. We enjoyed our time and highly recommend it for couples seeking a romantic holiday spot.

The restaurant dinner menus tend to become a bit monotonous after a few days at the resort, but try stick to the authentic Thai food (the Western food is very average). Being a wine drinker, I found the wines very pricey and not great value for money. The day trips and excursions were also very expensive. On our day of departure we learned from another couple that honeymooners receive a free massage at the spa. We paid for our (wonderful) massage and it is a pity we didn't know about this special offer for honeymooners - which was probably not mentioned by our travel agent.

We thoroughly enjoyed the live music at the bar and restaurant every evening, it creates a great atmosphere. We loved the swimming pool with a view and cocktails at the pool bar. Our room was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leany85
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for our honeymoon from February 7-11, 2014.

It was about a 25 minute longtail boat ride from the Ton Sai pier. We didn't pre-arrange any pickup but there were clear "Outrigger" signs and staff on the pier walkway so it was no issue (cost is 200 THB pp which you can charge to your room).

First impressions were grand. As you pull into the resort on the boat you see how large and expansive it is with all the beach bungalows lined along the sand with the pool area on the far left. They provided cold towels and mocktails on arrival.

Unfortunately there was a mix-up with our Expedia booking so our deluxe bungalow (2nd row from beach) was not available and we were put in a deluxe garden bungalow towards the back of the resort. We were not very happy but nothing could be done at the time. After 2 nights, when a deluxe bungalow became available we were moved to it for our final 2 nights. The grounds are large so they drive you to your room with golf carts.

Comparing the two room types:
- Deluxe Garden was newer and modern (only about a year old), towards the back of the resort close to the pool and spa. Because it is in the garden and closer to all the trees, there were a ton of mosquitoes (I got 10+ bites!)
- Deluxe bungalow was older but still in great condition. Ours (#116) had an unobstructed view of the water since it was closest to the lobby!
- The size of both are similar, but the beach one had 2 patios (one with 2 chairs off the bedroom and one main balcony off your front door with 2 lounge chairs and a little dining area).
- Neither had WiFi. We thought by staying next to the lobby we would get some signal, but it was too weak.

Positives of this resort were the pool, the beach (great for families with young children as the water is shallow very far out and often in low tide), hammocks, and the spa.

Downsides were the lack of WiFi (only around pool and lobby), service (expected more for what we paid), high prices of everything and the mosquitoes (even with 30% DEET).

Seclusion can be a good or bad thing. We didn't want to go out in Ton Sai, so it was fine. But for those who do, just know you must pay for the longtail boat rides back and forth (or walk 40 mins to an hour).

Based on other reviews, we went to the village at the back almost every night. It is very easy to find...take the path behind the Marlin Restaurant straight back and after 5 minutes you will see lights. It is on the other side of the tennis court. There are several bars & restaurants, mini marts, souvenir shops, day trip operators and even a massage place along 2 small alleys (L shaped - make sure you turn the corner!). We came here every night to eat more local food at half the price. Knockout Bar was really good and we did a longtail boat day trip with Mr. Chet which was fantastic (he takes pictures of you on his underwater digital camera and will copy them onto a USB for you after).

Special thanks to the Outrigger site manager Kannika who turned this stay around for us. We arrived in poor spirits and she helped us upgrade our room type back to what it should have been to ensure we had a great stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carole219
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here in November 2013 for 3 nights.

Hotel is located on its own private beach, and has lovely green grounds to help the walk to the restaurant in the morning, a nice one.

We had a private pool villa which we couldn't fault. Very large, spacious and very comfortable. We had a separate living room, with a bottle of wine on arrival, a separate bathroom and then our bedroom. Plenty of space for 2 people and would easily accommodate another person... The private pool was a very good addition. Private space to sunbathe and it was also great to be able to not worry about trying to fight for a space by the shared larger pool or beach.

We ate at the hotel a couple of times and went to the bar. But to be honest we found the bar very dull, boring and the service very unwelcoming and rather off putting. We actually found the general service level at the hotel to be well under par and was expecting far better service. Staff were rude, looked like they didn't want to be there and were generally poor.

With that said, we were so glad to have found the lovely little village behind the village. Oh my, what a find, this is truly a lovely local traditional village which is also very good value for money. Meals were very low in price and a meal for two was costing as little as 400thb for both..that's with a couple of drinks, Thai green curry, chicken satay, beef dish and rice. True great value for money. Buy this at the hotel and you will be be spending more like 1000thb plus each!!!

The village is easily found by walking along the beach towards the seafood restaurant and the dive shop. Before you get to the restaurant. There is a left turn. It will take you 2 mins from the beach to find this gem. Here you will find a shop selling snacks, local diving and tour operators, restaurants and a few little bars. Note- you can not see or hear the village from the hotel rooms.

The breakfast was ok. Nothing special. One day we decided to have breakfast In our villa as this was part of the package. Oh what a mistake. It was all stone cold by the time we had it In our room. Go to the main restaurant.

The villas are up in the hills so could pose an issue for those with walking difficulties. But they do have buggies that will come and collect you on call. This is useful.

Arrival was lovely, a couple of boat changes to get you to the hotel but thats due to the sea levels. Departure on the other hand was something to be desired for.. It was like check out, and then go sit down and wait. Your time is over. Departure experience could be a bit more informative and also a bit quicker. Feel sorry for those who have to wait around if they check out early and don't depart until the lunch time boat.

Overall the hotel was lovely and I would go again and recommend this to anyone. The privacy and location, along with the village provides a great little break away. Agree with other comments, The location was spot on . . beautiful, natural and peaceful.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheLuckyWonderer
Reviewed February 6, 2014

When we arrived (after a rather long journey) we were impressed by the privacy and beauty of the beach. We were upgraded to a room closer to the beachfront than we had booked (without asking) which was a nice touch. You are also greeted on arrival by a delicious coconut/ pineapple drink.

Whilst there we did a scuba diving training course and a day of scuba diving lead by Mario and Jill. Jill trained us (you need to do this on a day before the day of your dive) and was very understanding about any trepidation we might have in relation to the dives without being judgemental. She was a great teacher (very patient) and began building our confidence in the training session. When we went for our two dives with her we had an amazing time, seeing so much ocean life. She is a great instructor. The scuba dives were one of the highlights of our trip.

The food at the resort's hotels is a bit pricey (in Thailand terms) for what you get but is not bad. There are some small restaurants to the back of the resort which aren't affiliated with the resort - it might be worth trying these out if you are looking to save money (we didn't know about them until our last day). The hotel breakfast is not the best to be honest, when considering the calibre of the hotel. I thought the danishes/ croissants were a bit stale and the selection looks like a lot but I didn't find much of it very appealing. We had amazing (fresh) breakfasts at our hotel in Phuket, B-Lay Tong, so perhaps we were a bit spoilt after that. Back to restaurant meals, I would not recommend the cocktails apart from the Pina Coladas as most cocktails were a bit too strong or interesting tasting.

The resort's shop is very good.

The staff at the resort are very friendly and welcoming.

The main selling point is the privacy of the resort beach and how beautiful and relaxing it is. Highly recommended for a relaxing holiday with a luxurious feel.

Room Tip: Try to get one closer to the beach front, or with a view of the beach, as it enhances the feel of yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Em87s
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have just finished a 3 night stay at Outrigger.......... a week would have been lovely, but no longer, as it`s mainly self contained. Facilities were excellent........lack of wifi apparently in most villas, but ours (number 402) was close enough to the communal areas to pick up the signal!!Beach front villas were well placed, but the second row back didn`t seem worth it for the extra charged. Villas numbered 800 seemed too far from the beach......again, good old 402 was perfectly situated.
Food at all the restaurants was excellent, and reasonably priced. We3 also visited @the village@ and ate there twice. Cheaper, and with some atmosphere, but not the @wow@ that others seem to comment on. Rather too "reggae and beach hut" with corresponding facilities, for our taste (perhaps it`s an age thing!!!)
Overall, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Beachfront if you can afford, otherwise ask for 402 !!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple