“One of the nicest spots on Phi Phi”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
New York
“One of the nicest spots on Phi Phi”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful grounds, beautiful views and adequate service. The bungalows are nice....not the nicest I've stayed in during my entire existence, but the nicest I've experienced in Southeast Asia. This is a large, well-manicured, high service resort, so expect to have your wallet sucked at the resort bars and restaurants (standard for all places like this). Alternatively, you can hit up the nearby village for better deals (our preference).

This is far from the main area- Tonsai Bay. That's a good thing as Tonsai Bay is crowded and gross.

The pool area is really fantastic and the beach, while small during high tide, boasts fantastic views. I don't need much sand to enjoy this scenery, and my beach volleyball career never really took off anyway.

Book a long tail boat directly to take you around the islands (as opposed to the highly structured and overpriced motorboat outings provided by the hotel). Eat dinner at "Pad Thai" in the village behind the rec center...it's much tastier and better priced than the resort restaurants.

My only real complaints are small, but there are two things they could have done to earn the final star from
me:

1.) Provide wifi in the guest rooms
2.) Not charge extra for the long tail boat from the ferry landing. They are in a remote location, so there is no other choice but to take this boat. Given the price of this resort, it should be included.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
chao-t, General Manager at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Travelbug_lo

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your review. I am glad that you like the beautiful grounds, the view, the pool area, the beach, bungalow and enjpyed teh village behind the resort. We apologise for the wifi in the bungalow, we are now had wifi access in all public area: pool, lobby, pool villa, bars and restaurants. It's on our process to extend the wifi access into all guest rooms. Thank you again for your value feedback and wish you will come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just spent 1 night at Outrigger. Room was spacious but do not expect anything luxurious. Very nice swimming pool facing the sea but I struggled to find the place where I could find a towel.

They offer free internet access in the lobby but there is no wi fi in the villas.

Food is nice. They offer a huge variety of food in their buffet.

In general, staff was kind to us, although they do not speak (or understand) english very well. Try to avoid arriving at the hotel in the morning, as check in is only after 2:00. You will have to wait at the lobby.

But the most important thing is: Outrigger is a super beautiful hotel located in an amazing area of Phi Phi. The beauty and the peace that the beach brings to you compensate the little flaws of the services.

If I have the chance, I will come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Vadodara, India
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our stay to the resort was the best one we have had till date. Very pleasing staff. It was a surprise to us that they upgraded our rooms. We were given the private villas right on the top. There is nothing negative i can think about when i think about tis resort. We stayed in the resort for 3 nights, I wish we had a longer stay. Dinner by the beach for excellent. We were vegetarians and still did not have any problems. Yummy Vegetarian food they serve!
SUPERB!! Thanks a lot to the wonderful staff!!

Room Tip: Villas on the top have a very beautiful view !!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vadodara

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share you experience on TripAdvisor. We are very happy that you find this resort as "Best Stay Ever" We are glad that you loved our upglad to the private pool villa on the top and enjoyed romantic dinner on the beach with wonerful staff service. We looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here for a few days over Christmas. The resort is beautiful and the villas are amazing, but that is the only good thing about it. Everything at the hotel is overpriced and the staff do not provide a 5* service. They refused to move sun beds around for us or give us a vegetarian welcome snack. The restaurant food is generally good but overpriced, you are better off going to the village behind the hotel where you will find fantastic service and food. One of the best things about this location is the village...knock out bar which is a 5min walk from outrigger is fantastic! DO NOT book any tours, transfers or trips through the hotel...Mr Chet at knock out bar is a legend!!!! He took us on a tour for less then half the price quoted at the hotel. It was a personal tour and he made sure we saw everything we wanted! He ever took us snorkeling with reef sharks!!!! Not only did he give us a personalized service but he also sorted our transfer from the hotel (again for less then half the price). Don't forget to take a USB with you as he will take underwater photos for you and give them to you. We were really disappointed with Outrigger but glad we met Mr Chet!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PriyaPacheco21
chao-t, General Manager at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear PriyaPacheco21

Sawasdee krub, thank you for taking time to write a review of our resort. We thank that you comment the resort is beautiful and villas amezing. We are sorry about the service at the pool and the price at the restaurant. We note your comment for our improvement. Thank you again for your feedback.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Phi Phi Island is one of these places in Thailand in which you try to understand why is so difficult to find a very good hotel. I mean, you can find good hotels, but not excellent. This hotel is far from the Tonsay Bay, but really if you wish to be calm, it is the best you can do. The problem of the distance might be solve hiring a longtail boat. First recommendation, do not hire any tour at the hotel, go to the little town back to the hotel, in which you will find a few guys which are very good and cheap.
The cottage is quite nice, but not expect that i say that are wonderful, because they are not, even I had been in a one deluxe. The swimming pool is very nice. The restaurant is quite good and the breakfast products are very good. The problem that this hotel has is with the staff, they sometimes not polite and they have difficulties with the language.
The room service is almost null (I have asked for ar order at the night and it has been arrived so late that they left it our door). The nursing service was the worst that I have ever seen, so if you have problems of health (as my wife had), try to go to Tonsay Bay or better go to Phuket.
If you are looking to enjoy this island, you have to rent long tail boat and go to Maya Bay (very early to avoid the crowd.
If you are brave and even if you are not, we suggest you to go very early to the shark point to snorkel with black tip reef sharks, but do not hire the tour in the hotel, better on the town.
It is a pitty all the garbage in Loh Lanna Bay, probably it is best than Maya Bay, but plenty of garbage. I hope they had cleaned. You can still see distroyed houses from the tsunami there.
To conclude, we have enjoyed our stay but the staff service has to be improved.

Room Tip: Rent longtail boats in the town behind the hotel, to enjoy Koh Phi Phi Lee.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am writing this review from internet cafe at the Outrigger Resort itself. We leave tomorrow at 7am. It is December 19, 2013. I decided to post this when I returned to Canada.

I arrived in Thailand on Dec 1. I have stayed at the Meridian in Chiangmai, The W in Bangkok and The Nap in Patong and the Sheraton in Krabi. All quality properties with outstanding services - which i will also write about.

BTW, I am in one of the Outrigger's Sea Front Villas --- best of the best you can get here -- so you'd think I would be thrilled. Read on…..

The Outrigger is not Thailand. it is the most expensive of the 4 hotels I've been in. If you want an isolated vacation, you found it, but if you expect any kind of luxury at $400/night, you will be sorely disappointed. This is a 3 star hotel at the very best. Now that I'm here, I realize the rates the Outrigger is charging would essentially get me an absolutely incredible hotel in Thailand.

The food quality here is poor and there is absolutely zero atmosphere dinner or otherwise. Poolside, boring. Dinner, desolate. After dinner -- just go to bed. I'm not looking for clubs or parties but this is a vacation and the hotel does nothing to facilitate any kind of atmosphere.

There is no exploring the island as there are no cabs etc. It is a 60 min walk to any sort of civilization. The beach itself is also disappointing. They constantly have people raking and removing garbage and debris. Lastly, it faces "northish". So no sunrise or beautiful sunsets.

Please note that they also automatically charge a 10% service charge on everything. Which combined with the hotel and state tax adds a whooping 27% to your bill. I stay at qualtiy hotels all the time. I have no problem paying $15 for a cup of coffee, if it's a decent cup of coffee. Service is also not particularly friendly and certainly does not warrant an automatic 10% tip.

Also be warned there are no ATMs here so if you don't bring cash to visit the very few little bars and restaurants behind the resort -- which could add some element of fun or interest to your vacation -- you will be stuck and at the mercy of this very commercial property designed to nickel and dime you.

That all said, Thailand is the most spectacular vacation I've ever had. Amazing food, properties and stellar service -- Outrigger is the exception for sure. The Thai are wonderfully warm people and a joy to get to know. You will find none of that here. I've managed to dig a 1000 baht out of my bag and I'm going to one of the restaurants in the alley for some real Thai cooking!!!!! No more Outrigger for me! I'm jumping the wall!!!!!!!!!!

We selected the Outrigger due to the outstanding reviews on this site. Funny, a lot of the people we met at the resort were also disappointed. Wonder how so many were happy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
chao-t, General Manager at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Darren A

Thank you for taking time to review our resort. We apologise for the elements that not meet your expectation. The Phi Phi island is remote island which no road and no car, only can traveling by sea, our resort is located on the East side of island with our own 700 meter private beach and Sunrise view. We have choices of 4 restaurants, 3 bars, and island exploring trip daily to join and also Spa and Diving facility. Your feedback has been taken note by management to look into more details for improvement. Thank you again for your value review.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

absolutely beautiful place. We unfortunately only booked 3 nights here as family & friends said it gets boring on PHI PHI Island but they obviously didn't stay in this beautiful resort. We LOVED it so much we didn't want to leave and I still say to this day, i want to go back there. We didn't realise it was AKA the baby maker, I fell pregnant with our first child here!!. This was our last holiday just the two of us. We also stayed on the mainland in Phuket but this exceeded our expectations. We stayed here a few years ago in late 2007 so they had just finished repairs after Tsunami and we were super fortunate to get a heavily discounted upgrade to stay in their beachfront superior bungalows which included breakfast served privately on our own private deck. The beach is beautiful, pool great, overall wonderful stay, highly recommend it,

Room Tip: highly recommend a beachfront bungalow.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple