“Perfect island holiday”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger for six nights in June and we loved every minute. After the ferry ride and longboat trip you really do feel like you have discovered paradise when you arrive at the beautiful resort with a welcome drink waiting for you. We always found the staff helpful and friendly. The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained and well laid out - there are even golf carts to drive you around if needed. We were upgraded to a deluxe garden bungalow which I would strongly recommend - you're farther back from the ocean but the rooms are clean, modern and lovely (see photos) and you're closer to the village. The village behind the hotel made our stay perfect - with great little bars and restaurants (Pad Thai quickly became our favourite for dinner) and the best tour group, Phi Phi Dive Club (ask for Andy). You will need to get money out at Tonsai Bay though as there are no ATMs near Outrigger and you need cash in the village. Make sure you take a trip to Maya Bay - it really is out of this world. We had a few days of bad weather so we made use of the wonderful spa at the hotel. Happy Hour at the pool and Coconut Bar & Grill was a highlight and we loved the band that plays on Monday and Friday nights. We feel we had the perfect holiday and can't wait to go back one day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hi, we travelled here a long weekend 8th of June. Resort is simply fantastic, resort located in a shallow lagoon, at low tide the lagoon becomes blank and you can walk all the way up to the rif. at high tide the water is cristal bleu with wide sand. We upgraded to an ocean front. we had 2 balconies overlooking the lagoon and stars at night.

Breakfast was definitely worth it, lunch was very good value for money, and for dinner we walked outside to the nearby village behind the hotel.

Koh phi phi, being an island without cars, a private long tail picks you up at the ferry. we booked the ferry through http://phi-phi.com/ferry/, which is strongly de-advice. they had put us on 2 different lines, meaning my taxi driver was at the wrong pier upon return. Took me quite a while to book a new taxi. best of the 2 lines we had was Andaman ferry. I believe Outrigger probably can book your ferry as well. Just make sure you book 2 times on the same line, this will make transfers much easier.

A hidden treasure of the hotel is a small community village hidden behind the resort. We had 2 times thai food at 'Pad thai', excellent. and for your excursions we met an American living within that community organising day trips, diving trips and chartering long tail boats. Andy joined us for a full day, we visited Maya Bay, Viking cave, mosquito island bamboo island,... he will take you to the most beautiful places you have ever seen, as you charter private, changes to the day schedule are upon your request at all times and your preference of choice. Andy would be my main reason for writing this recommendation for outrigger. You will find his shop in the back of the hotel, or through Facebook search for 'phi phi dive club'.

Have a good time. Paradise really exists, and Andy will show it to you!

Room Tip: We booked standard room and upgraded to ocean view. be careful hotel had many rooms, ask for one clo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank scooby_bd
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our last location on our 3 week honeymoon and we stayed here for 6 nights.

On our arrival we were handed a cold cented cloth and a welcome drink while our check-in was being processed. Unfortunately our travel agent did not inform them that we were on our honeymoon, but another couple who arrived at the same time as us, was upgraded to a better room. On discovering that we were on our honeymoon too, we were given a voucher for snacks and drinks in their restaurant while they got our room 'ready'. Our room was gorgeous and our bed was beautifully decorated with 'Happy Honeymoon' written on our bed with flowers.

The staff was fantastic for our whole stay and the two 'bands' providing entertainment at the resort restaurants were excellent. The band from the Philliphines were particularly entertaining and sang everything from Queen, Guns and Roses, The Eagles to Mariah Carey.

We loved the 'feel' of the whole resort as well as their amazing attention to detail. We never doubted that we were at a 5 Star resort. The food and drink we had at all the restaurants on the resort were great and we thought for a resort of this quality the prices were fair.

We also made use of their recreation centre and had a fantastic day out diving. The staff was well informed and very pleasant.

Even though the resort was busy, due to the size, it never felt crowded. There is also a lovely villiage directly behind the resort with more restaurants and shopping for those scared of feeling isolated, with fantastic authentic Thai food.

Our last night at the resort was my 30th and my husband arranged for a cooking class, which was fantastic, after which we got to eat all the food I prepared and the evening at the restaurant the staff brought me a brithday cake and sang happy birthday.

The only negative about our stay was checking out. Our check-out was hours before our transport off the island would arrive and there really is nowhere for you to get away from the heat while you wait. We spend hours sitting in the humidity without being able to cool off. Chilling by the pool wasn't really an option as we had 20hours of flying to look forward to. This was a rather unfortunate ending to a otherwise perfect stay. We could very easily have stayed another week at the resort and would still have left wanting.

This is one of your more expensive resorts, but if you can at all afford it, it is worth cutting other corners on your holiday for. We loved it and will definately be returning!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LandiPieterse
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My first advise to anyone if you are only planning on a short visit is to book a private taxi to the hotel because the public ferry was a total nightmare.

On arrival we were greeted with a cocktail and then showed our room, We stayed in a villa which was absolutely fantastic you couldn't have asked for a more beautiful place and view. The rooms were huge ..

The breakfast served was served in the room and arrived promptly every day and the gentleman that drove the carts were fantastic and extremely friendly especially to our little boy..

Food in general , We did eat in the hotel but found the food just ok for dinner although i have to say the red curry I was given was the hottest I had ever eaten in the whole of thialand I did send it back twice but still un eatable.....we also tried a meal in the village again just ok and not the best I have

That aside the setting was just fantastic we took a boat trip on our own private long tail boat to mosquito island and bamboo island , a snorkelling trip with black tipped sharks and a tour to the famous beaches, although I have to say I found them dirty and crowded which was a real shame... Because without vast tourism the place would be stunning...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DlSCERNlNG_V0YAGER
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've got a bone to pick with Outrigger at Phi Phi
1. Staff at the restaurants - unfriendly and are not helpful at all to our requests.
2. Food at the hotel is abysmal AND pricey, seriously don't waste your money by spending it at the restaurants, go to the village they have restaurants there of better value for your money!
3. Service - We arrived in the afternoon after a day of travel from Phuket, mind you we had little children with us so all we wanted to do was go to our room and relax. Check in took us forever and I really had no idea what too them so long. Further to that, on our last night before we were due to check out, they kept calling all 3 rooms to ask us on what time we were to check out the following day. There were multiple calls to each room throughout the day when babies were taking naps and obviously the calls woke the babies up! All the while, I actually have already arranged with Front Desk on our departure time! The swimming pool does not open til 9 am and one of the mornings we went there at 8.45 am and asked for a towel but was denied because they don't open until 15 minutes later. I ended up going into their supply room and took towels myself!
4. Wifi goes in and out and they gave us these coupons with the login details but they were all expired so we had to ask for new ones.

Overall, for the 5 star resort that they claimed they are, it was not a 5 star experience!

On a positive note, The hotel itself has quite nice facilities, the swimming pool is big and has views to die for. The beach front loungers with th hammocks are also a feature that we really liked. The other thing I liked is the village located 5 minutes by foot from the hotel because it gave us more options in terms of food and booking excursions (highly recommend to book with chet at knock out bar).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jwuisan
Marc L, Chief Operating Officer at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Jwuisan

Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay with us. I am glad you really liked the pool, hammocks, views, location and proximity to the village behind the resort. I apologise for the other elements that you felt weren't so good. I have talked to our hosts (staff) about the issues you raised (food and beverage and guest service). Rest assured, we are constantly training our staff in order to improve our level of service.

Thank you for your feedback and review.

- Marc Landgraff, Chief Operating Officer

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here from the 2nd June-7th 2013

Despite all the negative reviews i read i was a bit skeptical.
It does take around 3 hours to reach the hotel from Phuket airport so if you are looking for an escape to paradise then this is the best option.
I travelled with my cousin and was greeted by a private car transfer to The pier (50 mins) then we took the ferry to Ton Sai Bay (1hr30 mins) then a long tail boat to the resort (30mins) so be prepared for the travelling!
however it was all worth it, the view when arriving to the hotel was breath taking. we was greeted by welcome drinks then the golf carts took us to our rooms.
We stayed at the garden view bungalow which is further back from the beach but not as far as other people made it out to be (5mins walk) . it was more modern than the superior rooms the only issue we had was ants but the hotel came with insect killers so we sprayed the affected areas and did not have a problem.
I read most of the reviews on this website so i was fully prepared and would suggest others do the same thing. Use the atm at Ton Sai Bay as there are no atm machines on the resort. We went to the village behind the hotel, you walk to the coconut grill bar and turn left down a dirt road until you hear music and see some lights. the village is a lot cheaper than the hotel so definitely get massages, excursions and food from there.
I would recommend Phi Phi Dive club for excursions, speak to Andy who is an american. His tour was the best and was so cheap! he goes by renting the boat instead of per person, the maya beach tour cost 1500thb per person which included monkey island, snorkling etc and lunch, we went in the tour with two other guys we met out there. Anothet day we booked a boat for 4 hours for 1500tbh which is reallly cheap we also rented out snorkling equipment and Andy throws in extra stuff for you like beach mats, ice boxes etc... he was real kind!

Best restaurant in the village was Phad Thai next door to the dive club, we also ate at Oasis and Mint bar. Everyone at in the village was soooo nice and always said good morning and hello to you everyday.

We ate twice at the hotel which was really pricey but thought we'll give it a try, the coconut grill bar food was the best, the live band is amazing and probably the only type of night entertainment on the resort. they let you chose songs and you can sing along.

It is very tempting to put all the bills to your room but be careful because it adds up at the end. Our total bill was around 11,000 thb
We always had lunch by the pool which was lovely and tasty. The sea was always warm like a hot bath and crystal clear!
The swimming pool was also beautiful.
We used the wana spa once for a facial which was heavenly, i fell asleep. We only did it because the hotel was having a discount of 900thb per person for any treatment, if it wasnt for this deal we probably wouldnt have done it due to the prices, the village is a lot cheaper for example 300 thb for thai massage or 400 for oil massage. One night we wanted a massage out of opening hours like 10pm but someone at the restaurant next door called them to come and open up for us which was soooo cool!
the resort was paradise and i didnt want to leave. this is not a location for party animals it is a get away and break from the busy city life.

I would stay here all over again

p.s be prepared to be bitten by mosquitos so bring plenty of repellent and cream

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank shirmei
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I were travelling with another couple and we visited this hotel back in May. At first glance, I thought this was going to be a great hotel but I soon realised all the hotel cared about was making money from their guests. First of all we had to get a long tail boat from the ferry port in Phi Phi, which took around 25 minutes and cost 400 baht each - and most importantly there was no indication about this on the hotel's website. By the time we actually got to the hotel, the staff weren't very friendly and couldn't even accommodate us by putting our room near our friends'. Our room was average, but it seemed like they never quite got round to finishing the decor - everything was chipped and dull. We didn't have an issue but our friends' room was infested with cockroaches - they even found one in their fridge!

One evening we decided to go into town but soon found out we had to wait for a particular time to catch a long tail boat, so we were then offered to rent a boat out, which cost 1600 baht for 4 hours. If we ran over, it would cost an additional 200 baht an hour. So in total, we all had to pay 400 baht each to get into town - not what you call a stress-free journey. Apparently there were independent boats which we could catch from behind the hotel, but the staff implied it would take too long to walk there particularly in the dark. Judging from other reviews that I have read, others found the same problem and were even lied to about local restaurants being an hour away, when in actual fact they were just around the corner. It just started to feel like shutter island and the best ploy to get as much money from their guests - just by keeping them on the resort and making it expensive to catch a boat into town.

The only thing worthwhile was the swimming pool and private beach - can't really falter both, as the pool was large and had beautiful views of the beach.

Another thing I would say is, do not have the breakfast - they charged my boyfriend and I 450 baht for a 'continental' breakfast, which was probably the least interesting breakfast I've ever had.

When I return to Phi Phi, I will not be staying at this hotel again, I will make sure to stay somewhere in the town so that the hotel can't con it's guests into expensive boat trips and unnecessary costs. An example of an unnecessary cost - a massage on the resort cost 1600 baht, whereas a massage in town costs roughly around 250.

My advice...do not stay here, not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple