“Stunning island property!”

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Toronto, Canada
“Stunning island property!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely amazing bungalow hotel on Phi Phi Island. The most stunning beachfront property. Great rooms and service. Restaurants offer great meals and the bar has a live band at night. Would definitely return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ricardo S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed 3 nights there and my ystay was calm and without problems. The deluxe bungalows are too simple, but it has always that you need. The free wifi just works in the public areas, so sometimes it is not comfortable walk to the lobby to use the internet. Another thing that was a fault was inexistence of complimentary boats to tonsai bay.
The pool is big and beautiful.
My overall impression of this resort was good.

1 Thank eduardo602
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Overall the hotel was good but it lacked a personal touch and attention to detail that would have made it excellent. It is nowhere near 5 star. It is a very large resort and it felt like a bit of a treadmill. I personally prefer a more boutique, unique experience than the one I received.

I am sure that this review has been framed based on my experience at the Twinpalms which was 5 star and this is 4 1/2, however this hotel actually charged 30% more than the Twinpalms so I think the comparison is still valid.

It is an awesome location with a superb beach. The pool is great (a bit too warm) and the setting on the island is first class. We were given a deluxe garden view villa. We were upgraded from the standard room and the room was nice although the villa was miles away and literally was the furthest villa from the pool. It also had a large patch of white sand in front of the unit which made sitting outside on the balcony during the day impossible as the already extreme heat was just multiplied and it felt like being in the desert. The rooms are also less private than the standard rooms as they are arranged in a circle. The standard rooms looked more tropical and did not look onto another 10 balconies and therefore without having seem the quality inside the standard room I think I would have preferred not to be upgraded and I would not recommend the Deluxe Garden room.

The staff were ok but not great. We had just stayed 5 nights at the Twinpalms in Surin Beach were the staff were awesome and therefore this was a noticeable step down.

The hotel provided a good transfer service from our first hotel direct to the hotel on the resort boat (for a price of 2,100 per person). We chose not to get the transfer back because of the timing of the flights and used the public ferry and taxi which came to 800 per person to get to the airport which worked out fine.

Excursions:
We booked a day trip to Phi Phi Ley as well as a double dive while were were there. Another problem I have with the hotel is the price of their dive packages. I had originally send an email inquiring about the price and dives etc and got a copy and paste response from the dive center saying, "Please contact us when you get here". Another example of that complete lack of personal touch from the hotel. The price was 4,500 for a double dive but when I went into the village I found the Phi Phi Dive club operated by Ninaa who charged 3,000. This is a huge difference. They use there own long tailed boat which may not be for everyone and beginners may prefer the perceived safety offered by a more formalized hotel operation but they were awesome both in their attention to the clients (there were just two of us diving) as well and pointing out tons of great stuff underwater. I would seriously recommend using these guys, especially for experienced divers.

We also booked a day trip in Phi Phi Village using a guy from "The Knockout bar". I would also highly recommend using a local for the Phi Phi Lay tour. It cost 1,500 per person versus 2,500 from the hotel and you are on your own long tailed boat. They take up to 4 on the boat max. They go to the same places but because it is just yourself, you can leave, snorkel and move around as you please.

We enjoyed the various options available to eat in the village and chose to eat there rather than the hotel. The best option for us was Phad Thai. This one is on the same road as the Knockout Bar and Dive club above but not on the main little road that has most of the other restaurants. I would highly recommend this place as the quality is excellent.

2 Thank Mark P
Reviewed May 5, 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was scared to death of what I was getting myself in for because of some of the reviews on here. After staying in Tonsai, you have to understand what Koh Phi Phi is.. On Koh Phi Phi you’re not getting a super high end ten star experience with huge yachts out front with people singing “on a boat”, helicopter landing pads and your own personal butler in the room killing bugs for you. You’re getting very good service for your money on a tiny tropical paradise in Thailand. (Although clearly in Thailand money talks – they’d probably be happy to fly you in.) IMHO the Outrigger Phi Phi is the best place to stay on Koh Phi Phi. If you want that level of opulence, you’re probably best looking elsewhere.. Monaco perhaps?

Location:
Fantastic secluded little place on Koh Phi Phi – I’ve stayed in the Tonsai side as well, if you want a party, stay there. (Tonsai is probably also better if you're single, unless..) If you want to pretend you’re staying in your own little island paradise, stay here. Yes, the tide goes out. Oddly, the island is in the middle of a salt water body of water that has tides. When the tide does go it, it’s not quite as nice to look at. The plus side is that you are on the ocean. You know, with fish, coral, and tides and things. Be careful, you may even see a boat. Beyond diving, we didn’t go anywhere else over our three days. We just laid on the beach and explored the island, you can walk to various other bays and vantage points.

Rooms:
We stayed in our own private little bungalow, all of them seemed to be offset so that you had privacy from your neighbors. We actually very rarely saw people, even sitting on our porch enjoying the atmosphere the birds (and beer).

Service:
Most of the staff we encountered spoke English, and helped us with everything that we asked for. Always with a smile! The check in process was great – the drink was a nice touch. Baggage handling was seamless and the transfers to/from the peer were excellent, and professional. Buying your return transfer did appear to be less expensive from the Phuket peer than at the resort.

Food:
We did eat in the resort, which was good. But as others have mentioned for better value, I also suggest you check out the vendors behind the resort. We ate at knock out bar, very good food. There was another bar 3-4 stalls down that had a happy hour as well. Chet who owned the happy hour bar can give you tips on exploring the island as well.

Activities:
The dive center at the hotel was superb. Staff were friendly, and professional. There was a woman in the office when we hopped in, and she was on the boat with us. We may very well have been able to find cheaper, but it would have been more hassle. Given we didn’t want hassle we were very happy, and felt safe the whole time – something I’ve often found lacking in cheaper establishments – safety not always first.

In short, don't have a heart attack booking here reading the negatives, that's the worst case.. Go knowing you're going to be on a tiny little island, you'll have a blast!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VanRain
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went in April for the second time and renewd our wedding vows very nice staff friendly clean tidy rooms very hot lovely pool highly recommend this place will go back to water our tree.there is a lot of new villas being built on site which is making it a lot more busy I hope this does not ruin he complex it was a lot more peacefull when we went in 2010 but don't let this put you off the island is paradise well worth a visit even if it is only for a day trip.

Room Tip: We've been twice now and had room 109 and 107 beach front people we met stayed in hilltop villas...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ribeirao Preto/SP
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is awesome! One of the best views I had in my life. The ocean is amazing, with two beautiful colors. The pool is incredible big, very beautiful also. You may felt you are dreaming.
The bungalows are truly nice and comfortable. The quality of sleeping is very good. The shower, also. The bathroom does not have a door, so this can be a little bothering.
The breakfast is very good, with a lot of options. One of the bests I have had.
But the staff... IT'S TERRIBLE! It's the first place on Thailand that the people are not smiling, they look like they are angry, instead! And very confused. The hotel was empty and they made us waiting on the front desk for more than half an hour, despite the check-in time was already reached. Then, they decided that my check-out would be anticipated in one hour, without any explanation. I hated the staff of that place. Even in the restaurant they have the worst training that I ever see. So, be there, but don't need assistance, otherwise you'll be frustrated...

Room Tip: It's a big hotel, so if you be close to the pool, you'll be far from the restaurants. If clo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leandrim
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Wow so glad I booked here but wished we were staying longer. Absolutely breathtaking, the beach the pool.. Everything. And so quiet especially after coming from Patong. Our bungalow was a few bungalows back but that didn't bother us because the walk is so nice. We didn't eat in the restaurants because we found the phi phi village behind the resort and WOW am I glad we found it. Such a small beautiful community and the food is AMAZING and cheap. I highly recommend Mint Restaurant, we got so much for only 700 baht and it was seriously the best food I've ever eaten. I would definitely stay here again.. Beautiful!!

Room Tip: Eat behind the resort.. phi phi village!!!
2 Thank kellyleewalker