“Idyllic, peaceful, spa to die for, gorgeous bungalows, incredible pool and body of water nearby---and you pay for it”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I can totally understand the other reviews, but I want to offer a bit of perspective that can be helpful because we have travelled quite a bit around the world. What I do when I travel 8000-9000 miles away from home is that I have the attitude that one does have to suspend what I call "western perfection" expectations in service at times when going elsewhere. If you do suspend that (not fully-but at times)--and ask for what you need--and you will get it when you ask (generally)--then I find that you have a much much better time anywhere you go in the world. This situation was honestly no different. It is true that it takes a long time to check in and that was our biggest complaint. But otherwise--the pool is incredible--our spa treatments were VERY well priced and were EXTREMELY blissful (as in we wanted to take the workers home with us forever, and we have been to a LOT Of other spas), the water is just stupendously gorgeous. The bungalows are very clean and large and peaceful. The food is expensive but that was to be expected and we saved money for this and it was fine--and the food was good. We really felt like it was one of the few places in world where we could really relax and unwind from stressful lives--it was up there with the best places we have stayed in the world--albeit the service isnt as good as the West or elsewhere in some other parts of the world. All in all, we deeply enjoyed this idyllic place that has many wonderful qualities--somehow--they get SO MANY people and pieces of luggage successfully into and out of this place with barely a problem and that is to be commended and recognized very sincerely.

There are newer reviews for Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort

Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights, and while the place, facilities & views are idyllic the service is awful... The staff are rude, disinterested, surly & I barely saw any of them crack a smile the whole time we were there.... This seemed to be a common view shared from other guests we talked to, the staff need a serious attitude adjustment..... The hotel & views are beautiful but it's reputation is being damaged due to appalling service.... The hotel appears to be aimed at honeymooners, but I would be sorely disappointed if I chose this hotel for my honeymoon.... In addition the hotel is expensive & overpriced, the food, drink & bad service doesn't warrant these inflated prices.... On arrival we were advised Outrigger had taken over the Management of the resort in early November, so hopefully they will resolve the service as it really is a beautiful place but with existing service & high prices I'd steer clear......

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Joycevco
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our stay was from 24th of September to 2nd of October.

The water and island is beautiful. when the sunshine hits, its paradise.

Nice resort but rooms were bit small. They faced each other so there was no privacy. Hanging out on your own porch consisted of seeing another 3 different neighbours who can also see straight into your room if you don't have your blinds closed. Mosquitoes were a HUGE! problem, constantly using repellent.

Trip Advisor's says this is one of the best resorts then I wouldn't want to see other resorts at Phi Phi.

One of the Silliest things is that they don't mention there is a mosque which is no problem but the calls for prayer 5 times a a day/night gets frustrating. I mean they don't even have that in Maldives.

Beware though do not go to Thailand in the Monsoon its not worth it. might be empty but there is a reason for that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was a major splurge for us in terms of cost, so we researched this resort thoroughly and were so excited to be going there. The excitement faded immediately upon seeing the resort from the longboat we took to get there. By the time we were actually inside the lobby of the resort, I was in tears.

First of all, the resort is a 1/2 hour longboat road from the pier at Tonsai Bay. We knew this. We knew the hotel charged 200 baht per person to get to the resort on their longboat. We thought we were okay with that. However, now that we've done it and had time to think about, the more I think that is a total crock. There is no other way to get to the resort but to take the hotel's shuttle. The hotel staff grab you as you come off the ferry so you can't even see if there are any local longboat operators to negotiate with. So, you're stuck. You're also stuck paying the hotel to take you back to Tonsai Bay - 800 baht total AFTER you have already spent quite a bit of money to stay at the resort. Seriously, they can't include transfers to the hotel in your room rate?!

The 1/2 hour longboat ride gave us an opportunity to see quite a few of the other resorts on the island as we zoomed by. The other resorts looked beautiful, and the water in front of the resorts looked clear as glass with a nice sandy bottom. Then we get to Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort and Spa and things go bad.

We arrived about 11:30 a.m. The water looked like mud. Not crystal clear, not sparkling - MUD. The longboat couldn't get in to the resort due to the depth of the water so they brought a tractor out to us pulling a wagon. After spending 3 days in Chiang Mai sniffing diesel fumes from all of the traffic, I was certainly NOT happy to smell the same from the tractor.

I was already upset by the look of the beach and water, so we started asking to speak to a manager or anyone who could help us understand if we had any options to transfer to another hotel. However, the staff just giggled and didn't understand what we were asking for.

We finally found a woman who appeared to be in charge somewhat who said the tide was currently out and that's why the beach looked so muddy. The tide would be in by 2:30. That did not make me very happy. If the tide is out from 10 a.m. to 2:30 that leaves about 3 hours of swimming time before it get's dark. It appeared we had no choice but to stay at the resort so we began the check in process.

It took FOREVER. They have to make copies of both passports, verify the rate you booked at and then they stated that our rate didn't include breakfast, which my husband is quite sure he included in our booking. The check in girl said if we booked breakfast RIGHT NOW, breakfast would only be $15 each person each day. Good grief, no way. So we declined.

An hour after arriving we were finally given keys to our room. It was a decent enough room, but nothing spectacular. I noticed that the door didn't fit tightly against the floor, leading to a definite gap, but I didn't think much of it - until I woke up at 4 a.m. the next morning hearing crinkling coming from the little coffee table. I quickly snapped on the lights and walked over to see a gecko lizard clinging to a cellophane wrapped package of crackers that I had rubber banded shut. Apparently the gap was big enough for him to slip through. Unfortunately, he ran and hid before we could figure out how to capture him, so he and his friend, who I saw our second morning while showering, shared the room with us.

Even after the tide came in, the beach remained frustrating. The water never became clear. There were rocks under the water, so as you are trying to get out into deep enough water to float or bob around, your shins and feet collide with rough, hard rocks. It certainly was not clear enough to see any fish. Construction is going on to the left of the resort, so while at the beach we got to hear the whine of power tools and pounding. The resort is also adding more cabanas, so we were awoken at 7 a.m. by construction on the resort, too.

I was so frustrated by the lack of snorkeling opportunities at the resort (a major reason we wanted to go to Phi Phi) that we ended up booking a day trip for snorkeling. We went to the village behind the resort and booked through a local - there was no way I was paying inflated prices to the resort to allow me to do what I had hoped to do for free at the resort beach. The village behind the resort was really the only good thing about the resort. The food at Pad Thai restaurant was excellent and our snorkeling day trip was worth the money.

At 10 p.m. on the second day we were there (checking out the next morning) we got a call in our room from the girl who checked us in. She asked us what we ate for breakfast that day. Seriously?! She called at 10 p.m. for that? So bizarre. We told her we had crackers and fruit and she said okay and hung up.

This resort is probably fine if you just want a pretty area and want to sit at the pool all day. However, you can do that at some nice resorts much closer to Phuket without paying the ridiculous prices this place charged. I was certainly disappointed by my experience here and would not recommend this resort.

4  Thank kate2348
Marc L, Chief Operating Officer at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Kate 2348

We are very sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Many guests are delighted with swimming, snorkeling and clarity of water in front of the resort. It also depends on changing tides, weather and season of the year. Outrigger took over management of the hotel on November 3. We are reviewing our services, including transport, to make sure guests have a high quality experience at the right prices. Your feedback has been very useful to us. I apologize again for aspects that weren’t as good as they should have been. Thank you again.

- Marc Landgraf, Chief Operating Officer

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had really high hopes for this place after reading reviews. The location and grounds are beautiful, but unfortunately it stops there. We upgraded to the beachfront villa upon arrival for an extra 5000 baht per night. This was an excellent decision because the view and villa were what we enjoyed and hoped for. The real bummer was everything else. The service was horrible! The staff were not helpful and no one ever went the "extra mile."
The quality of the food and drinks at the restaurants were very poor, the included breakfast was below average. We were told that by upgrading to the beachfront villa, we would be able to order breakfast in our room each morning instead of going down to the restaurant. Each time we attempted to do so, several things were forgotten (cream for the coffee, syrup and butter for waffles, etc). On the first morning, the person left our coffee outside without knocking to let us know it was there and by the time we found it there it was cold. Any time we brought any of this to the staff's attention they were far from accommodating. It was all "too little, too late." It took almost two hours for us to get into our room at check-in, a complete unorganized mess. When my husband got up to ask the reception a question he was literally shushed by the woman. They advertise things like fresh fruit drinks on their menu and then use mostly sugary syrup. I ordered a green tea (plain) while using the wifi in the internet room (there is no wifi in your room, which they fail to tell you until you arrive) and I was given a blend of milk with green tea syrup! It is Thailand! Are they not known for their tea? The music, oh the music. It was enough to run you out of the resort or back to your room. The nicer restaurant called Coconuts looked like an ok spot and we tried them on the first night. We had to chase the waiter down to tell him how we wanted our steak cooked, because they didn't bother to ask, and for normal requests like salt + pepper and the check. They weren't even busy. The list could go on, but everything staff/service experience was a huge let-down.Just overall crappy service, mediocre food, false descriptions on menus, and a lack of organization and customer care. We booked a cooking class and that was a waste of time and money. The chef didn't even try to communicate with us or explain anything. He prepped everything and then just pointed and told us what to pour in a pot. The entire class was over in an hour. Nothing like the half-full day true Thau cooking classes that we had hoped for.
There are a few other positives:
The dive shop and Marius was great. Our divemaster Bier was also fabulous.
The village behind the resort (they would like you to not be aware of it) was amazing. Fabulous people, service and authentic Thai food. Pretty much everyone goes back there for real food, service, friendly people, and a great experience.
I do like the location, but considering the fact that you have to leave the resort for all meals to not be disappointed, the price is much too high.

3  Thank Sarah C

Dear Sarah C

Thank you for your heartfelt review of our resort. We apologize that aspects of it, apart from the setting and diving, left you disappointed. We are reviewing all aspects that you mentioned to ensure the best quality service and food and beverage experience are in place. We're sorry for the shortfall. Outrigger took over management on November 3 and we're doing our best to improve service. Thank you again for your comments.

- Marc Landgraf, Chief Operations Officer

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights during our honeymoon in Thailand. Location is awesome. The beach is great with the nature around. It totally feels like a deserted island. We booked a front beach bungalow but were upgraded to a villa.
In general, it is a great hotel: excellent facilities, friendly staff, good food and amazing beach. I know it is a little pricey but totally worthy.
However, there are minor things to improve:
1) the check- in process is too slow: since all guests arrive from Tonsay Bay, it can get really crowded while checking in. Ours took almost 25 minutes that we could have spent at the beach. They even ask you for a copy of your booking confirmation to validate the rate, so be ready to bring one! This process could be improved with additional staff for those peak moments or in-room check in.
2) room service and housekeeping was too slow: we asked for the housekeeper to bring some more shampoo and bath salts but had to call 3 times and wait for about 1 hour to get it. It was annoying considering that we were on the most expensive room and expected a fast service.

In conclusion, it is a great hotel. Ideal for couples. Don't forget to visit the spa!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Phi Phi Island is a breathtakingly beautiful spot and I recommend anybody to travel there. As for this Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, it is an awesome establishment right on the Island. However, this Resort caters itself 99.5% to the honeymooners and newlyweds. So if you are single, not ready to make the commitment, or been there and done that with a family of your own now... this is not the spot to spend your money on. The resort is excluded from other attractions without anything else near by. You can travel by boat to other areas but if the wind is high you are stuck for the night. The staff were friendly but always on the hurry to serve the next customer. Overall I loved Phi Phi Island (who doesn't?) but next time will stay somewhere else with a little less lovey-dovey and a little more lifey. Also pack your mosquito repellents as those bugs carry no love when you are trying to get some sleep - and you will find tons of them in your room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family