We stayed here 4 nights. Upon arrival, we were seated for check in and given 2 delicious welcome drinks. And then the welcome wasn't so welcoming. I booked and paid for my booking 4 months before arriving. The booking was also confirmed by email by the hotel wi a reservation code. An irritated staff member told me she needed a printout of my booking. I didn't have one. I did remind her the hotel gave me a reservation code and that they had emailed me several times. This wasn't enough. She gave me a code for the wi-fi and I forwarded her my Expedia booking.
The standard villa was set in the furthest row back from the beach, which was not actually bad. Apparently, the resort was full although there were never many people around, which was very nice and relaxing. Breakfast was huge and very tasty - a large selection. Except, good luck getting a coffee. It is brought to your table in a thermos which you must ask for... if you can find staff. One morning, I couldn't get any.
The beach is secluded and very pretty - no other resort visible. Except, I liked the beach in Koh Lanta better - it was always swimmable. At Phi Phi Village, the tide was out in the morning and the evening. And by out, I mean far out. To get to a waiting long tail boat or resort boat, they drive you out.
We also received a welcome cocktail invitation on our first night which was only to try to sell us tour packages. The staff was very nice, however.
There are very delicious restaurants right behind the resort (not shown on any resort map) that also provide free wi-fi, which this resort surprisingly does not. That part is actually insulting - beautiful setting, nice rooms, premium pricing but, no free wifi. No paid wifi in my room either. I had to go to the reception area. Or to Padthai right behind the resort where I got a delicious meal for half the price of the resort and free Internet.
We ordered room service one night, left the tray out the next morning, returned to find the room cleaned and made up... and the tray still on the front porch baking under the sun.
Our finally night, we received an envelope with what we thought was the final bill and check out instructions. I went down to settle up and ask for the invoice to be in my name and not my partner's (the booking was under my name as well as the credit card being used to pay) and that took half an hour and a lot of confusion. And after being told that my credit card didn't work 3 times (actually, it did - the problem is the connection on the island). We were told to just leave our bags on the porch the next morning, return the key at 7:30 and go enjoy breakfast before meeting to leave the boat at 8. Wrong.
We were down at 7:25 only to be presented with an additional bill (apparently, for some reason they could not explain, they had not billed us entirely for a package we had booked), in my partner's name again. We went to eat while the lady readjusted the invoice. Upon returning, wanted to pay in Canadian funds like I had the night before and was told that I couldn't because my credit card wasn't set up that way. What? That's how I had paid the night before. Sure. At this point, I just want to leave. Nope - more papers to sign.
Honestly, this hotel is nowhere near 5 star service. I got better service on Koh Lanta on a nicer beach for half the price.
On top of it, nowhere in the literature in your room or atbthe welcome party does it tell you that there is a shuttle to Tonsai, that you can rent a long tail boat for 4 hours from the resort to do your own tour or how much spa services cost - despite giving you a brochure with the full spa services menu.
Would not recommend this place. A big disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A dream-like boutique resort situated on a private 800 metre stretch of pristine white sand beach lapped by the turqoise waters of the Andaman Sea. The resort is set on 70 acres of coconut palm plantations, in the privacy of Loh Ba Gao Bay on Phi Phi Island. Accommodation is comprised of 144 traditional Thai style bungalows and 12 exclusively private Hillside Pool Villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort And Spa
- Phi Phi Island Village Beach Hotel Ko Phi Phi Don
- Phi Island Village Beach Hotel
- Phi Island Village Beach Resort
- Phi Phi Island Village Resort