“A touch of paradise.”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed January 13, 2012

From when you first arrive at phi phi island. The resort picks you up with a speed boat to take you to the resort.
You are greeted with 3 lovely ladies with drinks and hose ready to wash your feet.
Beds are made in mornings and turned over each night with a nice message.
Room's are wonderful. In peek season we received an upgrade which was a nice bonus.
We stayed in 126 which was right on the beach but our initial room 203 was just as good there level entry room with a glimpse of the water.

Services was great alround. People stating that the service was poor is an outrage! They obviously havn't travelled outside there own house before.
Everyone there was lively and happy. Always greeted with a friendly smile and hello food was quick and drinks were strong! Good times!

If your looking for something romantic take a beach front bungalow or deluxe you will love the rooms they are spacious and beautiful water view from your bed.

You can walk to holiday inn and zevola which have great reviews. But honestly, there rooms are nothing in comparision to this resort Holiday Inn looked very tired needs a good coat of paint and we saw a dolphin head cut off on the beach outside zevola...(Which is right next door to Gypsey Village where all the longtail boatmen park there boats.

The Beach is amazing not one jelly fish! (I hate Jelly fish!!) (North parts of the island the beaches are covered with them. The water is 28 degrees! So nice to swim in... I never go in the ocean and I was in there everyday. Crystal clear waters and the staff are always cleaning there to make sure its perfect.

The only flaw we saw was the size of the gym and equiptment. It had all the weights machines and 1 cross trainer but no treadmills and for a resort this size they really should update that as alot of the people there are professional sports people.

The food was yum! breakfast was ok. Like most places in thailand should upgrade on the toaster - very slow but at least they had 3 of them!
Try the restaurant out the back Pad Thai the place serves really nice food and drinks.

We had a welcome cocktail party and also a long stay cocktail night which was fun. Meeting all the staff.

If you are thinking of getting married we saw one during our stay and wow did they put on a show.
Beautiful flowers and private end of resort. I would recommened going in January as it is blue skys and sunny.

I hope this helps you with your stay if your fussy you will love this place but do understand that most staff dont speak english... however if you give a genuine smile and be nice to the staff and they will give you everything you want.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms or Beachfront (we went there level entry initially but as they considered us long stayi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank xmurtagh
Write a ReviewReviews (4,378)

Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week as the last leg of our 3.5 week honeymoon and what a high to end on! I had secretly upgraded us to a Beachfront Junior Suite as a surprise for my husband's birthday but then the hotel surprised me by upgrading us again to their hillside villa 509 for no extra charge for the whole week!
At first I was a little nervous as I had read on TA that the hillside villas were far out of the way but as soon as we saw the villa we were blown away. The location is a little further from the resort but the view is stunning and the villas are huge. We had our own pool and terrace and were just surrounded by luxury.
Our resort hosts were Kung and Tae and they were both wonderful in checking if we needed anything on a daily basis. They helped organise a lovely surprise birthday meal and cake for my husband and were just generally lovely all week, always smiling and trying to be helpful.
The resort grounds are amazingly well kept and it is huge but we had a buggy to drive us everywhere we wanted to go from the villa which never made the place seem too big.
Given the location the resort is very pricey compared to the rest of Thailand so apart from breakfast which we ate on our terrace each morning we only ate in the resort once - can highly recommend the all you can eat option at their signature Thai Ruen restaurant, the food is out of this world and the prawns are like mini lobsters! For the rest of our stay we ate at the little village behind the resort which was much cheaper and it was nice to get out and meet the locals. We actually organised a day trip through the Knock Out Bar which was great as we just went where we wanted to go without following a planned tour.
The hotel is exactly the sort of place I imagined staying at on honeymoon, i.e. somewhere which is a real splurge in return for luxury and would highly recommend this place for anyone looking for paradise and to get away from it all. It is pricey but if you have a good enough reason to go then it is totally worth it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it definitely splurge on the Hillside Villa - out of this world!
4  Thank Piccina31
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were there last year in January for our honeymoon with my husband :)
When we got there - we were with our mouths opened , and we couldn't believe where we were...heaven on earth-shortly put :)
The stuff was veeery polite and they were smiling all the time ,cleand the room 3 times a day (this is very rare for any resort or hotel).. The food incredible (a lil expensive dough - since Thy prices are very low) but we were told not to eat out of resorts, or restaurants because Thy people know to be dirty . The location of the resort is quiet ,isolated and unspoiled-which I could not say about the rest of the island ..
This resort is a grat experience whish you should not miss since you are in Thy .. GREAT FOR COUPLES- do not have second toughts, just go for it :)

Room Tip: I would highly recomend the bungalows overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My partner stayed here in early December for 2 nights, it took us a long time to decide where to stay while on Phi Phi Island but we eventually decided to stay at this resort. We took the normal ferry from Phuket which took just over 2 hours, upon arriving the wharf there was a resort reprehensive waiting with a sign for Phi Phi Island Village. We were told that we could go straight away on a long tail boat and we were to pay the driver direct (200 baht per person) or wait for the resorts boat and then we would pay at check in. We decided to go straight away as it was about to start raining, when we arrived at the resort we paid the boat driver direct. Upon check in we were told that we had to pay for the long tail boat (again) however we told them that we had already paid the driver... apparently this is wrong and isn’t meant to happen anyway we didn’t have to pay again as they must have spoken with the resort representative who was back at the wharf. At check in you are given a cool towel and welcome drink which is delicious and then you are shown where everything is in the resort on a map. They sort of make a point not to tell you that there is a Village behind the resort, like a 2 minute walk away. There are quite a number of restaurants, tour operators and massage shops. We ate dinner and lunch at the Village and the food was great, I can highly recommend eating at “Pad Thai” the food is fresh, they cook it right in front of you and there is free wifi (which the resort offers at a fee only).

We were a bit early so had to wonder around for an hour or so before our room was ready which was fine. We were then shown to our rooms and our bags arrived separately. We stayed in the lower room type the Superior Bungalow which was fine. The room was clean & spacious however the decor is a little outdated. New flat screen TV’s would be good but I guess that will come with time. After all you’re not really there to be sitting inside watching tv! The room has a large balcony off the front of the bungalow, we were in 212 and we were able to see a tiny glimpse of the beach. The only complaint that I would have about the room is that the bed is ROCK hard to the point where I couldn’t sleep! Never mind.

The pool area is lovely and looks out over the ocean and there are pool towels available at the bar. There is a pool bar however you do need to wait a while for someone to come over and serve you.

We booked a day trip to see Maya bay and all the other known areas around Phi Phi from the village behind the resort. There was a nice man back there and we could hire a speed boat for 4 hours which included drinks and fruit for the 2 of us. I think it cost around 3500 baht which I thought was pretty cheap. We were able to spend as much or as little time as we wanted at each place so I think it was well worth having a personalised tour.

There is a hiking track from the back of the resort which takes you up into the mountains. If you walk for long enough you are able to see a view of the main area of Phi Phi Island where all the other resorts are. Be warned it is steep and there are lots of giant mozzies! It is worth it though the view is amazing. It took about an hour to get to the viewing point from the resort and about half the time to get back down. You will know when you are there as there is a little house up on stilts.

Overall I probably wouldn’t go back to Phi Phi Island Village Resort & Spa, there is nothing wrong with the place but it just wasn’t for me.

Room Tip: Book your tours and eat from the villaget behind
3  Thank Pony1985
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I would like you to remember that this is our experience & you must be careful with TripAdvisor & make your own mind up! We will however try to give you our honest opinion as we know how important holidays are!

We were 2 x couples in our 30's.

This was our first trip to Thailand & indeeed Phi Phi.
We couldn't find the transfer guy at Phuket Airport as he was holding a board for the resorts sister hotel, not ideal, but hey we were pretty chilled at this point after 2 flights. The minibus transfer was fine & the resorts Speedboat is fantastic (large speedboat, seats around 30 people inside), plush seats inside but a very steep ladder to the obervation deck. Luggage was carried from the Marina to the speedboat by golf buggy, but we had to walk. Would have been nice to also get a golf buggy!

Arriving at the Island is truly fantastic, views are incredible & the staff welcoming you are amazing, with a nice cold coconut drink & cold towel..........that is where unfortunately the hospitality ended.

This was not a cheap holiday & we did choose a 4.5 star for a reason, we have however had much better service at the Hyatt in Sharm. This is such a shame as when we go on holiday we expect to relax & to be waited on.

The bungalows are fantastic, great space for the bedroom (don't look under the bed as very dusty!) & separate shower room, the floor in our bedroom was very slippy though. The resort layout is lovely & on its own lovely private beach. Look at the room layout on the website & you can request certain room numbers close to the beach before you travel. We stayed in the basic room type & this was more than good. TV is very old, resort could invest in flatscreens. Good thing is that the air con can be left on all day without the cleaner turning it off.
Bungalows are equipped with mosquito plugs & repellent. Please please spray yourself as we got bitten alive!

Beach & swimming pool (not heated) look amazing but no one asks if you want a drink throughout the day or puts your towels out etc (towels are old & small & you will need 2 each to cover the old sunbeds) No life guards or pool boys, be aware if you have children.

Hotel are missing a trick not providing service at the pool/beach. When we did order lunch at the pool one day it was as if it was inconvenient for them. Be aware VAT & Tax are added onto every bill!

Please also bear in mind that the staff do not speak hardly any English & we found it very hard to communicate with anyone, even the General Manager.

I did read the reviews before we travelled but no-one seems to have a bad word to say about the resort....strange?

Breakfast is great, real pork bacon, an egg station & real fruit juice, fantastic!
The Marlin restaurant is average as is the Coconut Grill. By far our favourite was the Ruen Thai, amazing location up the hill & good food but depends on what you have.
They have different themed evenings in the Marlin & one night we paid £120 for 4 people to eat very average pasta, be warned!

Drinks are expensive at the resort but to a certain degree you have no choice! (Bottled water is complimentary from the room cleaner-just ask for more)There is a sort of shanty town behind the resort, we ate there once but unfortunately it was a disappointment.

We hired a private speedboat for the 4 of us one day for 9,000 baht, definitely worth doing as you can choose where to go, best stop was Bamboo Island facing our resort which is a Nature reserve, you pay about 4 quid each to go on the Island, but more than worth it!

Visited Tonsai by longboat, good experience on the boat but didn't enjoy Tonsai one bit. Very enclosed & not to our taste, best for student travellers or cheap market dwellers!

Be aware the resort doesn't accept UK £20 notes or debit cards as they see them as forged, not good as that is all we took. The Front desk manager advised us we would have to travel to the Bank at Tonsai to change to Baht, not ideal as as a 2 hour return trip (tide dependant) with walking time & we were meant to be having a relaxing holiday, we declined & asked to speak to the General Manager. After half an hour of trying to pin him down; we did, (after walking to where he was) We put across our point but he had no intentions of trying to help us, after half an hour we managed to claim back the credit card charges (our friends paid on their card) but our last night could have been better spent!

Staff were too laid back,don't speak enough English to communicate, unwilling to help & just seem genuinely unmotivated apart from the odd individual who is happy to please!

This could be an amazing resort but service & food let the place down, you can't fault the setting & accommodation.

We are off to the Four Seasons this year & hopefully will receive better service as after all isn't our precious time off work worth that?!

Please note we were very stressed out on the last night due to the payment issues & the lack of service really put a downer on the holiday, however we would not want this to sway your view, we only wish to educate!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are great, we stayed in 301 & 302, 3 rows from beach. Look at website & choo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank KG22OM
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Quite an enchanting resort in a heavenly part of the island. The only thing bad which can happen to you is to run into a day of rain (the way I did) but that is nobody's fault. If you ask to be picked up to be taken to the resort on the hotel's boat, you might be asked to wait a while: that should not happen given the fact that you pay good money for the transfer. Definitely do ot eat at the hotel's restaurants because right in the back of the resort thre is a seeies of family-run restaurants which charge much less. Do not rent the tugboat to take you around the island at the hotel but just ask around in the area where the restaurants are located: that way you'll end up paying less than half of what the hotel asks for. Everey single service at the hotel is over priced but thie small comunity which hoveres around the structure help you pay a fairer price... I had New Year's Eve dinner st the hotel snd was not happy about having to pay 115 euros whether i liked it or not but with hindsight I must say they earned their money: I ate lobstrr and jumbo shrimp till I could not eat another bite. The menu was amazing and the entertainment well organized. They went out of their way to organize a memorable evening and succeeded without a doubt. I only wish they had given each table at least a bottle of wine... But the intitial champagne was quite unlimited, I must say. Room service is not the best: the maid refused to wash the dishes and cutlery which came with the room. The towels come st times with holes, as the sheets did, but altogether the bungalows are comfortable. On a rainy day there arre plenty of placrs to walk to and things to do to unwind. Internet is not free but you get a perfect connection at the near-by Pad Thai restaurant from which I am writing. By the way, I think this is the best restaurant for Thai food behind the hotel and the prices are very reasonable also for drinks. The beach towels run out verey quickly and that should not happen at such an expensive resort. The beach is their main asset as well. The unique location. I will definitely come back because I have never seen anything like it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My husband stayed here for 4 nights. We're in our early 30's, and it was our honeymoon. We stayed in room 509, hillside pool villa.

Some people have commented on service being poor, I have to disagree, maybe if you're in a hillside villa they treat you like royalty. The room is far from everything, but we just had to call a buggy and they were there in less than 5 minutes to take us to any spot on the resort.

The food was lovely, but we onlt ate at the restaurant once, and buffet once, the rest of the nights we ate in the village behind. Pad Thai was quite good, but the best place to eat is by far Na's place right out the back (just ask for Na's restaurant and the locals will point you in the right direction). If you want some special fish or seafood, just ask her earlier on in the day and she will ensure you will have it. She is so lovely, her and I think her sister cook and serve. Price is close to a 3rd if not less than hotel prices and the quality is great.

For a personal tour guide with character and fun, go to the village and I think the place is called ...something..scubba, ask for Moti, people will know who you mean. He owns a bar, a massage place and the tour guide service and when we were there he was starting a souvineir shop too, all in a row right out the back of the hotel. He is the best guy. For us, it was just me and my hubby, we had a day tour to Phi Phi Kon and Monkey Beach. He snorkelled with us, pointing out turtles and morray eels, sea snakes dart fish etc. Lunch was provided, just fried rice, some fresh fruit and drink if desired. Eaten in a secluded bay, with the long boat ankered around pristine waters and coral. Moti took photos for us, he was informative of the island and local know how, whether it be about the local gypsies or the effects of the tsunami. All in all, I think we paid 1400 bhat each for the day, which also included an hour massage, but we didn't end up doing it because we just wanted to go to our room and chill. Tour with Moti is highly recommended. The other guy that was manning the counter was a bit of a stoner and didn't have the same charm as Moti so make sure you get him, his english is pretty good too.

I would suggest using Moti to get to tonsai too, it's cheaper than hotel transfer. Also, if your budget conscious take the public ferry, only 300 bhat, so much cheaper than any other option.

Anyway, the hotel was lovely, very chilled, nothing too exciting, so if you just want to relax, have some alone time, then this is a good choice.

Overall, would do it again, but maybe choose a cheaper room as I think they all would be fine.

4  Thank BandDfuntimes