“Perfect Vacation!!”

Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We Decided to go to Holiday Inn In order to get some quite and peaceful vacation from the Main Area of the Island(Tonsai).
In Order to get to this hotel you need to take a shuttle from Tonsai or get to the a ticket from phuket , the shuttle route is Holiday Inn(and other hotels there) -- Tonsai -- Phuket.
When we got to the shuttle the Holiday Inn representative was waiting there and took our bags which was very nice since you don't need to worry once you got to the shuttle.
From there is 30 min cruise to the other side of the island , the shuttle park in mid sea so from there you are loaded to taxi boat to the beach , after the taxi boat a Hotel Car(tractor) picks you up to the entrance of the hotel(so you won't get wet) the whole process of getting the hotel is very nice!
Once we got to the hotel we were welcomed with wet towels and drinks, check in process was quick and wonderful (We did Telephonic order and I guess in representative didn't understood us regarding the room we wanted , it took us about 20 min to clear that but Staff treat us kindly and the hotel manger upgraded us and made our stay even sweeter ;)
The Hotel Facility are good although the Gym need more maintenance , some stuff didn't worked or didn't worked well that is true for the Sauna that was closed and Pool Jacuzzi that didn't worked.
Breakfast was Amazing we Loved it , as for the menu for the rest of time food felt to us a bit weird but I guess it's a matter of taste, We ate at a the only local place that was there Jasmin food was good and prices were a lot cheaper.
The Hotel beach Is the most beautiful that I saw on Phi Phi and sunset at the hotel is amazing!
If you want to go to the main Island you can rent a taxi boat from the hotel for 1000 baht which felt to us kind of weird that hotel doesn't provide free transport to main island with some kind of timeline, any way We talked with a local guy near the hotel and got a deal for round trip for 1500 baht which we paid when we got back.
Overall The hotel is Grate in a good location!

Room Tip: Get the rooms close to the hotel facility near the main lobby(hotel is big and wide) , also the room...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2016

We thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us in overall.

I am very grateful for the feedback provided as this gives us the opportunity of improving our services. And I have shared your comments with our team members to continue motivated in delivering high standards of service.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

this is one tired hotel in a beautiful location. everything looks run down and in need of tlc. the room is average the buffet breakfast is more fitting a budget hotel, the free wifi is intermittent at best and the fitness centre is a dank cell. However the location and beach are spectacular and the one restaurant (cha bah) we ate at was surprisingly good and the staff generally are pleasant and helpful.
overall in terms of accomodation I think better value could be had elsewhere

• Stayed: September 2013
Carol W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear carniver

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to read that you were disappointed with our hotel.
Our hotel is a 20 years old property with 2 very distinctive areas. The Bungalow areas (the oldest part of the hotel) and the Coral Wing (the newest part). I would like to share with you that our hotel conducts daily maintenance works all over the property and I am surprised that you feel the hotel was not well maintained. Maybe the more traditional areas of the hotel are not modern and upbeat as you may encounter in other hotels around Thailand, however this kind of architecture makes to the charm of the resort.

The intermittent WiFi signal encountered was due to weather conditions and we are currently trying to find ways to ensure that this no longer affects our signal. We understand how this affects our guests, hence we are the only hotel on Laem Tong beach not charging Wifi in all areas.

We are glad to hear that you have found the staff friendly and that you enjoyed dinner at our Cha Bah restaurant.

We thank you once again for your comments and wish you safe travels in the future.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife is PC Platinum, so we burn points at these resorts, but this time didn't use points. We have been to the one in the Maldives, which was a 5+ star experience. This was nice, but not even close to the Maldives.

First off, I should say that the staff try very hard. They are nice, but not overly friendly. We were in the Coral Beach studio - very nice room and quiet. We were upgraded base on wife's status with PC. The Coral Beach breakfast brunch was OK. The staff at the brunch were the best in the place. From here - the food experience went downhill. Per David W's review - murdering the burger with spice would be the understatement of the year (think over spiced meatloaf). The fish burger was good. The Thai selections were limited - it's Thailand??! We gave up on the hotel food and went to Jasmine next door - BBQ fish and local foods at reasonable prices.

The internet - well, what can I say - terrible. The TV - also terrible and subject to weather.

The worst part of all - the transfer from the airport. The drivers were great - the ferry - horrific. The ferry out didn't have a/c and it was packed. It was packed like when you see on TV a foreign ferry has sunk with 3x the capacity than should be on that thing. The ferry back was better, but still not fun. I recommend springing for the speedboat transfer.

Rented a longtail boat for a few hours to go to Monkey Beach and snorkel. Not overpriced and a fun experience. Believe it or not, the housereef was nice - lots of fish life and many colorful clam. Snorkeling right outside of the room was fantastic.

The best part - the SeaBees crew. They were great - Jens, Tat, and Poo were great. I include the captain as well (but I don't know his name). The prices were higher than I am used to (Eurodivers at the Holiday Inn Maldives was a better value) but that's not the fault of the staff - they were great and made the whole trip to this island worthwhile. Diving was great - the staff was wonderful and had a great time each day we went underwater! Thanks guys!

Overall it's very good, but, again, didn't live up to expectations - Maldives raised the bar too high. If they could modify just a few things (I suspect they won't or can't), this place could be a 9-10 of 10 experience.

Room Tip: Coral Beach was a great choice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us in overall.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Staff starting from the receptionist till the waitors of the restaurant were so friendly and responded to all my needs...they gave me a perfectly located room although somehow far from the reception and the restaurant but with a perfect view on the infinity swimming pool and the sea, food was great with variety everyday, the beach area was a little small but nice for swimming, infinity pool was clean, sunbeds clean too.
The furniture in the room was outdated and needed renewal, room was spacious with a nice balcony. Took a private boat trip to maya bay and on the way we stopped for snorkling several times with a reasonable price...was a great experience.
Perfect for honeymooners as the resort is quite and relaxing.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms were nice with view on the pool and sea.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Firstly, this was a second visit to this resort based on a previous visit 4 years ago which was pretty good however, despite staying in their "newer" wing on this visit in a Coral Deluxe Studio, I have to say we were very disappointed. The room "looks" quite nice.
On making my booking I had made a special request for fresh flowers for the room however what I got was a flower arrangement on the bed made of leaves and petals, which was very nice but by no means could it be termed a fresh flower arrangement. Beside this was florists menu and pricing booklet? I wanted the flowers on arrival! It was in the correspondence prior and was confirmed it would be done? I was willing to pay!
On arrival day it was fairly late afternoon, early evening and in need of a shower and freshen up before dinner - bathroom flooded and water seeped from the shower into the bedroom area - we had to use towels on the floor to stem the flow. The report made to the staff did not result in any additional towels to compensate for the ones used on the floor?
My fiance and I were both eaten by bed bugs, both of us had over 50 bites on our legs and backs as a result of the bedding. We have the photos. The bedding had a very strong damp smell - of course from the high humidity, but I don't want to pay for that as well!
Staff are nice but not overly friendly! Breakfast in the Coral Wing is second class compared to the buffet on offer in the main wing so I would recommend taking the long walk if you want a full breakfast option.
Our Coral Studio room was almost beach front, and located next to the Coral wing swimming pool - this was very nice however as it rained almost every day during our stay water poured through the ceiling from the above room balcony floor (their balcony floor was our balcony ceiling) so sitting outside was not a real option.
Outside of breakfast meal venues were limited to one outlet due to the rain however the menu is exceptionally poor with little or no Thai food on offer - front facing page of their a la carte menu has 10 items. The rest of the menu is "international" but the chef needs to review his recipes and ingredients - a simple burger was "murdered" with herbs so much so that it was almost inedible. About the only dish that was really "ok" was the Chicken Satay - the Tom Yam, tried on 2 different occasions was different each time and was not authentic Thai in any way apart from the fact it had lemon grass in it for the aroma! Bring back the "taste of Thailand" to all of your menus and buffets! I would also recommend the hotel take a look at their buffet display chafing dishes - what you are using was great in the 1980's but it's time to retire the equipment and get something that keeps the food hot and fresh! Everything was overcooked, stewed and cold!
While the beach and location is very nice, this resort needs to seriously review it's operational alternatives for wet weather conditions as there is little or nothing to do other than sit in your room - and read or sleep as both internet and TV are negatively affected by the cloud cover.
We will never go back to this Resort which is a shame as the location has great potential!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carol W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear David W
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are sorry to read about your disappointment with the service received.
Regarding your request for a Flower arrangements, we have checked our correspondence and have not been able to find any requests prior to your arrival. I would be grateful if you could please forward to my e mail any correspondence from our hotel confirming this request. Should you have made your request thru the Third Party website with which you have made your booking, please send me as well any e mails you have and I shall contact them on your behalf to find out why they did not forward this information to the hotel.

On you allegations of bed bugs, please note that we take this very seriously and all rooms and beds are checked daily to ensure that they are in top condition to be occupied. We have check the room you have stayed in and we have found no signs of bed bugs, hence we can only assume that the bites were caused either by mosquitoes or sand bugs common in tropical weather environments.

We are sorry to hear that the weather was not the best during your visit and hope that you would consider visiting us during the dry season to make the most of your stay.

Wishing you safe travels

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Spent 2 nights at this resort and my review as follows:

1) Transportation to/from the resort:
We took the Andaman Wavemaster ferry from Phuket - return ferry on premium class seat (THB2300 per person). We book directly online from the Andaman Wavemaster website. Everything is well arranged and the return ferry ticket includes free pick up from our resort in Kata and transfer from the Pier to our resort in Karon (on our return journey). So basically everything is well taken care off and we are transported direct to the reception of Holiday Inn. It is very convenient/hassle free to get to Holiday Inn using the above ferry company in my opinion.

2) Resort location, facilities and surrounding:
Holiday Inn is located in Laem Tong Beach, away from Tonsai Bay (which is the main town of Phi Phi Don). Basically, this is a massive resort with many beach front bungalows, huge lovely grounds and gardens and long stretch of beach with amazing sunrise view. This resort has 2 pools and all the standard facilities/amenities you can expect from an international chain resort. For food option, we tried two restaurants (chili and pepper and the other restaurant is jasmin) situated next to holiday inn. Both restaurants served local thai dishes very well and delicious - Chili and Pepper is cheaper than Jasmin but Jasmin has a better atmosphere located on the beachfront while chili and pepper is located on a hill. Also, the hotel has a mini market selling snacks and drinking water (1.5 litres of drinking/mineral water is priced at THB50) - not too expensive in my opinion - of coz buying the same at Phuket is cheaper but why take the hassle.

3) Check in:
Not too fast but not too slow too. Acceptable speed and staffs at the reception are friendly and welcoming. Welcome drink is too sweet for my liking, not refreshing in my opinion, perhaps offering something minty, less sweet and cooling would be better.

4) Rooms:
We initially book the garden bungalow but was told that the General Manager decided to upgrade us to the Beachfront Bungalows. We are all very delighted on the upgrade - the beachfront bungalow is just spectacular with direct uninterrupted sea-views. Room size is spacious with LCD TV and the normal amenities you can expect from an international chain resort. The beds are soft and heavenly so as the pillows - heavenly. Huge balcony to relax and enjoy the sea-views. Bathroom was a little old and small. No long bath tho' only shower.

5) Buffet Breakfast:
One can choose to have the buffet breakfast either at their main restaurant near the reception or at the new coral wings restaurant which is situated on a hilltop with sea-views. Breakfast selection is good - mixture of chinese, thai and international menu. Overall, the breakfast is as expected from an international chain resort.

6) Buffet Dinner/Set Dinner:
We took the half board package which includes daily buffet breakfast and daily buffet dinner/set dinner. We tried both the buffet dinner and set dinner. The buffet dinner is quite good with reasonable selection and it is only priced at THB450 per person.

As for the set dinner, we can choose from 6 set menus available - tried the salmon set and it is lovely. Big portions of salmon. Very tasty in my opinion. Overall, i think it is worth the extra to take the half board package.

7) Wifi:
Wifi signals available everywhere in the resort with very strong signals. Most importantly, it is hassle free without any password.

8) Beach at Holiday Inn:
I think what makes this resort fantastic/stand-out is the long stretch of private beach it occupies. Water is crystal clear, waves are very mild, safe to swim, no stones in the water except powdery sands all over. I think the beach is just perfect for swimming and snorkeling. Spectacular.

9) Staff Performance:
They are very friendly and welcoming especially the lady at the reception/front desk counter.

Overall, I truly enjoy my stay at this resort. It might be a little expensive but it is totally worth its price. It is a fantastic relaxing resort with a fantastic swimming beach, perfect for a good quality vacation. Getting to and from the resort is also very easy with Andaman Wavemaster ferry (premium class).

Room Tip: I think any rooms in the resort is reasonably good - of coz the beachfront ones are better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank FrenchRemix
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at this wondeful resort.
It is at the far north of Phi Phi arrived there from Tonsai by longtail boat who transported us with our luggage to this fabulous hotel.
As it was my husbands birthday they upgraded us from a garden bungalow to a beachfront bungalow what a treat. On the day of his birthday they came to our room and presented him with a fruit hamper and later in the evening at the bar lounge the band sang happy birthday and presented him with a birthday cake aglow with candles. This was a very special moment and they went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable
The stretch of beach is pefect as he likes to jog in the morning.
the food we had no complaints with a choice for all nationalities.
The beds are so comfortable with percale linen and soft pillows.
free wi fi ,fragrant toiletries and mosquito repellant beware there are a lot of mozzies there One can take a ferry to Tonsai for shopping we found it expensive and very busy with people It was monsoon season so we did have downpours. So if you like solitude this is the hotel to select on Phi Phi island.Only downside was the ferryride after checking out. The sea was very rough and most of the passengers were sea sick so take some sea sick tablets if you go this time of the year.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalows