“Pure paradise”

Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
“Pure paradise”
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for five nights and wish it could have been longer! Ignore any comments of bad service, as it's top notch (there really is no pleasing some people!). We were in a garden view bungalow (201) on the second row and could still see the beach and sea, so try request that area if you've not booked a sea view. The beach, pools and general surroundings are everything you could ask for in an island retreat. Hotel prices are expensive compared to the rest of Thailand, but on par (if not cheaper) than what we pay in UK. People who have moaned on here really need to open their eyes and appriciate the stunning hotel and environment, so lucky to have visited such an gorgeous hotel. Will 110% return one day.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank BryBell85
Carol W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Brybell 85

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our resort.
We are delighted to read that you have had a good time and that you are planning 110% to return to the hotel.
Whenever you are ready for your island holiday, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on carol.waller@ihg.com

Sunny regards from Koh Phi Phi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 16, 2013

On the quiet side of the island, four nights at this resort left us relaxed, refreshed, and suntanned! When we pulled up, I expected to see Tatoo and Mr. Rork greet us. The beach was amazing. Not crowded, great sand, but maybe a shortage of chairs, so don't forget to sign out a free towel from the activities hut. We saw dozens of species of fish, including a couple of big eels in the coral reefs just off the beach. But the best snorkeling was well worth the 4 hour high speed boat tour sponsored by the resort. I think it was about US$40 per person, included lunch and snorkel gear, and was worth every penny! The food at the resort was decent, but not world-class. The live music at the bar was decent.
Only minor down-sides: no ATM so you are forced to use the resort facilities and tours if you run out of local cash. Or you can take a 40 minute (each way) long-tail boat ride to the main Pier to get cash. I highly recommend the 30 minute walk south to the next resort/village area. It is a paved road (path) with some pretty junky spots along the way, but the little village you come to has some cute shops, bars, and restaurants. Also, do NOT miss the sunset view while enjoying a cocktail at the Sunset Bar, a 5 minute walk up the hill. Get there 45-60 minutes before sunset to get a seat on the hilltop. All-in-all, a very reasonably priced beach resort with excellent service, decent food, and world-class ambiance!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ricksphd
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, April 3, 2016

I appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us in overall.

I am very grateful for the feedback provided as this gives us the opportunity of improving our services. And I have shared your comments with our team members to continue motivated in delivering high standards of service.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Hangzhou, China
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed in an Ocean view room here last year with my girlfriend, I had recently stayed at a Starwood resort in Phuket and was impressed - given that I paid more for my room here at the Holiday Inn, I had high expectations.

One cannot help but be completely mesmerised by the beauty of this part of the island, the last stop on the ferry and only accessible by longboat (provided by the hotel) the water turns beautiful shades of deep blue to turquoise as you get closer to shore.

The welcome was ok here, as everybody arrives together (unless you get a private boat at the cost of £300+ each way), everybody is welcomed together in the restaurant where you wait patiently at a table and staff come over to you with your keys. Eventually you are led to your room which for us was a short walk away at the far end of the resort.

As views go from hotel rooms this one is certainly up there - I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at many beach destinations around the world, from the Caribbean to Zanzibar but truly this beach is a marvellous place. The balcony was overlooking the sea and my girlfriend and I couldn't have been happier with the view.

There are two pools in this resort, there is an older less impressive pool around reception, and an infinity pool overlooking the sea further down (right next to our room), the infinity pool is infinitely better (haha), and worth the short walk as it is less busy. The restaurants were average but if a light lunch and a cold beer is all you're after they do just fine, tables set up right on the beach with the unique longboats moored alongside - an idyllic scene. Had dinner in the restaurant one night and enjoyed it - nothing particularly special but did the job. If you are looking for great food, Zeavola resort is a few places down the beach (which has other restaurants/bars too) and offers very nice food at reasonable prices.

The sunset bar is worth a visit and we went every night for a cocktail or two, lovely views of the Andaman whilst the sun goes down and a nice breeze to accompany it.

Overall I think the sheer beauty of this place makes wherever you choose to stay almost irrelevant, the hotel however did deliver on the levels I expected it to, the rooms did lack the luxury one would expect for the price paid and although I thought the outdoor shower was a nice touch not everybody may agree with this.

That said if you go in the quiet season as we did I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a really nice spot away from the madness in Phi Phi, thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Benjamin N

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is isolated. Only 3 hotels on this strip and 1 little restaurant next door. So if you're looking for a quiet vacation, this hotel is great. Rooms are good - clean. Resort is nice. Some of the facilities are a little old, but overall good. Beach is amazing - crystal clear, soft sand. Very picturesque setting. Long tails boats are available for easy access to tour the surrounding islands at cheap rates. Its a 20 minute boat ride to Tonsai (main beach and town) and very difficult to travel back at night due to winds. So you won't be able to go to Tonsai for an evening. Hotel food is not good at all. Rather take a walk to the little restaurant next door called Jasmin - food there is excellent and affordable.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are beautiful and right on the beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erena_C

Calgary. AB
Reviewed January 10, 2013

While the beach is nice enough, the hotel is disgustingly overpriced. Reading reviews here, I thought people were being over the top about the food. Sadly, it IS horrendous and extremely expensive.

Please, be aware that there is NO ATMs anywhere around. You would have to pay a lot of money to go back to the main pier - not knowing about this was very disappointing.

The rooms are very ordinary. I do recommend the sunset bar and their daily tours to other beaches, but prepare to pay a fortune for it. At least they give you the option to share the price with other guests, if they are interested.

The views are fantastic and the beach is gorgeous. Try eating at Jasmine's - the food is amazing, it is cheap and only a few steps away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BWWblaxx
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear BWWblaxx,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

First of all, the beach is amazing. However, that isn't a reflection upon the hotel. The staff speaks zero english and does not care to understand what you're saying. I asked for a fork in the restaurant and it required 3 staff members to interpret what i needed. It took an hour for them to bring over a bottle of wine and then they got our food order wrong. Finally, we just walked out.

There were also bugs on the fruit during the breakfast buffet and the food was expensive and not good.

In terms of the rooms, they were really outdated and the shower broke twice during our 4 day.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Jennifer G,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location to be recommendable. I am deeply sorry that you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service received from our staff at dining. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that in the future you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
london
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights after visiting Bangkok and staying at the Marriott Khao Lak for 5 nights. So this was an opportunity to visit an island. We had been pretty spoilt in Khao Lak but was glad we made the 'mission' to Phi Phi.

First of all arrival at the ferry - which always seems overpacked - was a little more less concerning as there were Holiday Inn staff there to ensure that they knew who you are.

It does take a while by Ferry but a much cheaper option than speedboat, but the journey is around 3 hours. Taking just over an hour to get to the first stop then you need to wait unload - reload then further up another 30/45 mins then you need to get the long boat. It is fine going there as your taking in the sights - going back its more tedious as you have to wait at the first stop for around an hour before the backpackers join the group.

Oh if you wasnt aware the Holiday Inn is at the north of the island far away from the main town. So you are quite cut off, i think the main town is the 'party' town so if your young and want to party thats where you need to head. You will be too far at the Holiday Inn if you want to party.

A mistake a few Australian girls made, also was a bit worried as they had a flight at 12.00pm to catch after we left - the ferry leaving at 7 never arrived back till the main port till after 10 - so i hope you got back fine if you read this :)

The resort itself is really nice, we stayed for 3 nights and have to say its very relaxing - we had a beach hut so literally got up and straight into the warm water. The cafe is nice too - you can sit and have a nice cool beer and watch the long boats come in of people visiting.

The rooms are basic but as others have said your on an island. But there clean and comfortable.

You are stuck really for eating and are reliant on the hotel - Khao Lak was 50% cheaper than here so this was a bit of a shock. The hotel restaurant is nice but quite slow. I suppose island life.

The problem is there is no alternative - unlike Khao Lak where there were gorgoues cheap clean restaurants on the beach. We ate at the sea gypsies one night - but ill be honest they dump all there rubbish right next to it (its a problem with the island - council tax doesnt go far it seems) so though the food is good - i dont know i just didnt feel great after it.

However that being said - I needed some laundry wasnt prepared to pay Holiday Inn prices and walked round literally were the rubbish tips were and ended up in a sea gypsies house and asked them if they would do it. There were kids washing and ladies sitting chatting a funny experience. They said name a price i think i said 150 bhat for a big bag (still double what i paid the locals in khao lak) and they did it for me - i did think that i saw it hangiing out on the washing line next to the rubbish - which made me chuckle - my calvin kleins and spurs shirt hanging there.

However picked it up and it smelt fresh and they did a stirling job.

You must go up to the sunset point for a cocktail which is really pretty - mind bugs though one went down gf's dress and she ended up stripping into her underwear and the laughing sight of some locals screaming.

The long boats you have to do - if you go to maya bay make sure that you go early before everyone else turns up - monkey bay is really good too.

If you go south to the hotel there is a path which is concealed - theres a few restaurants there and it takes you down to the next bay which is about 25 min walk - 5/10 min run. If your bored try that - be careful of the motorbikes though - but does make a nice run if your keen and into that.

I have very fond memories of being there. Its a bit far north of the island but gorgoues none the less and the reports I heard of the main town were not good so if you want to see Phi Phi and relax this is perfect.

Dont take the negative comments enjoy and sip a nice cool beer - there pizza's are rather good too.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Get on the beach side not the garden ones - could be a lorra bugs....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family