“A good hotel in a beautiful place”

Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed in an Ocean view room here last year with my girlfriend, I had recently stayed at a Starwood resort in Phuket and was impressed - given that I paid more for my room here at the Holiday Inn, I had high expectations.

One cannot help but be completely mesmerised by the beauty of this part of the island, the last stop on the ferry and only accessible by longboat (provided by the hotel) the water turns beautiful shades of deep blue to turquoise as you get closer to shore.

The welcome was ok here, as everybody arrives together (unless you get a private boat at the cost of £300+ each way), everybody is welcomed together in the restaurant where you wait patiently at a table and staff come over to you with your keys. Eventually you are led to your room which for us was a short walk away at the far end of the resort.

As views go from hotel rooms this one is certainly up there - I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at many beach destinations around the world, from the Caribbean to Zanzibar but truly this beach is a marvellous place. The balcony was overlooking the sea and my girlfriend and I couldn't have been happier with the view.

There are two pools in this resort, there is an older less impressive pool around reception, and an infinity pool overlooking the sea further down (right next to our room), the infinity pool is infinitely better (haha), and worth the short walk as it is less busy. The restaurants were average but if a light lunch and a cold beer is all you're after they do just fine, tables set up right on the beach with the unique longboats moored alongside - an idyllic scene. Had dinner in the restaurant one night and enjoyed it - nothing particularly special but did the job. If you are looking for great food, Zeavola resort is a few places down the beach (which has other restaurants/bars too) and offers very nice food at reasonable prices.

The sunset bar is worth a visit and we went every night for a cocktail or two, lovely views of the Andaman whilst the sun goes down and a nice breeze to accompany it.

Overall I think the sheer beauty of this place makes wherever you choose to stay almost irrelevant, the hotel however did deliver on the levels I expected it to, the rooms did lack the luxury one would expect for the price paid and although I thought the outdoor shower was a nice touch not everybody may agree with this.

That said if you go in the quiet season as we did I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a really nice spot away from the madness in Phi Phi, thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Benjamin N
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2016

I appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us in overall.

I am very grateful for the feedback provided as this gives us the opportunity of improving our services. And I have shared your comments with our team members to continue motivated in delivering high standards of service.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is isolated. Only 3 hotels on this strip and 1 little restaurant next door. So if you're looking for a quiet vacation, this hotel is great. Rooms are good - clean. Resort is nice. Some of the facilities are a little old, but overall good. Beach is amazing - crystal clear, soft sand. Very picturesque setting. Long tails boats are available for easy access to tour the surrounding islands at cheap rates. Its a 20 minute boat ride to Tonsai (main beach and town) and very difficult to travel back at night due to winds. So you won't be able to go to Tonsai for an evening. Hotel food is not good at all. Rather take a walk to the little restaurant next door called Jasmin - food there is excellent and affordable.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are beautiful and right on the beach
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Erena_C

Reviewed January 10, 2013

While the beach is nice enough, the hotel is disgustingly overpriced. Reading reviews here, I thought people were being over the top about the food. Sadly, it IS horrendous and extremely expensive.

Please, be aware that there is NO ATMs anywhere around. You would have to pay a lot of money to go back to the main pier - not knowing about this was very disappointing.

The rooms are very ordinary. I do recommend the sunset bar and their daily tours to other beaches, but prepare to pay a fortune for it. At least they give you the option to share the price with other guests, if they are interested.

The views are fantastic and the beach is gorgeous. Try eating at Jasmine's - the food is amazing, it is cheap and only a few steps away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BWWblaxx
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear BWWblaxx,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 9, 2013

First of all, the beach is amazing. However, that isn't a reflection upon the hotel. The staff speaks zero english and does not care to understand what you're saying. I asked for a fork in the restaurant and it required 3 staff members to interpret what i needed. It took an hour for them to bring over a bottle of wine and then they got our food order wrong. Finally, we just walked out.

There were also bugs on the fruit during the breakfast buffet and the food was expensive and not good.

In terms of the rooms, they were really outdated and the shower broke twice during our 4 day.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Jennifer G,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location to be recommendable. I am deeply sorry that you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service received from our staff at dining. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that in the future you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights after visiting Bangkok and staying at the Marriott Khao Lak for 5 nights. So this was an opportunity to visit an island. We had been pretty spoilt in Khao Lak but was glad we made the 'mission' to Phi Phi.

First of all arrival at the ferry - which always seems overpacked - was a little more less concerning as there were Holiday Inn staff there to ensure that they knew who you are.

It does take a while by Ferry but a much cheaper option than speedboat, but the journey is around 3 hours. Taking just over an hour to get to the first stop then you need to wait unload - reload then further up another 30/45 mins then you need to get the long boat. It is fine going there as your taking in the sights - going back its more tedious as you have to wait at the first stop for around an hour before the backpackers join the group.

Oh if you wasnt aware the Holiday Inn is at the north of the island far away from the main town. So you are quite cut off, i think the main town is the 'party' town so if your young and want to party thats where you need to head. You will be too far at the Holiday Inn if you want to party.

A mistake a few Australian girls made, also was a bit worried as they had a flight at 12.00pm to catch after we left - the ferry leaving at 7 never arrived back till the main port till after 10 - so i hope you got back fine if you read this :)

The resort itself is really nice, we stayed for 3 nights and have to say its very relaxing - we had a beach hut so literally got up and straight into the warm water. The cafe is nice too - you can sit and have a nice cool beer and watch the long boats come in of people visiting.

The rooms are basic but as others have said your on an island. But there clean and comfortable.

You are stuck really for eating and are reliant on the hotel - Khao Lak was 50% cheaper than here so this was a bit of a shock. The hotel restaurant is nice but quite slow. I suppose island life.

The problem is there is no alternative - unlike Khao Lak where there were gorgoues cheap clean restaurants on the beach. We ate at the sea gypsies one night - but ill be honest they dump all there rubbish right next to it (its a problem with the island - council tax doesnt go far it seems) so though the food is good - i dont know i just didnt feel great after it.

However that being said - I needed some laundry wasnt prepared to pay Holiday Inn prices and walked round literally were the rubbish tips were and ended up in a sea gypsies house and asked them if they would do it. There were kids washing and ladies sitting chatting a funny experience. They said name a price i think i said 150 bhat for a big bag (still double what i paid the locals in khao lak) and they did it for me - i did think that i saw it hangiing out on the washing line next to the rubbish - which made me chuckle - my calvin kleins and spurs shirt hanging there.

However picked it up and it smelt fresh and they did a stirling job.

You must go up to the sunset point for a cocktail which is really pretty - mind bugs though one went down gf's dress and she ended up stripping into her underwear and the laughing sight of some locals screaming.

The long boats you have to do - if you go to maya bay make sure that you go early before everyone else turns up - monkey bay is really good too.

If you go south to the hotel there is a path which is concealed - theres a few restaurants there and it takes you down to the next bay which is about 25 min walk - 5/10 min run. If your bored try that - be careful of the motorbikes though - but does make a nice run if your keen and into that.

I have very fond memories of being there. Its a bit far north of the island but gorgoues none the less and the reports I heard of the main town were not good so if you want to see Phi Phi and relax this is perfect.

Dont take the negative comments enjoy and sip a nice cool beer - there pizza's are rather good too.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Get on the beach side not the garden ones - could be a lorra bugs....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hotel excellent. Choose rooms overlooking the sea and walk directly into the sand. Staff gentle. There is a hotel in the area to rent boats and organize tours for other islands and the price is not much different than hiring directly from the fisherman. You won't want to leave this beach. Wifi free and available throughout the hotel. I recommend to all.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having just returned from spending a week here, I'm sitting here wondering how a hotel like this can be reviewed so well. I think the reason is that (1) the location is just ungodly beautiful and people confuse the location with their experience at the hotel; (2) there are very few alternatives that appear better in the area; and (3) if you get stay here in the lower seasons when the prices are half the price I paid, you might find it a decent value. HOWEVER, let's set the record straight here -- this is a 2 star hotel in a 5 star location. This hotel missed every possible detail. Below is a partial explanation.

Bars/Restaurants: Expect to have the worst imaginable service. The bar is in a beautiful setting but we were often the only table there with three people working at the bar and getting a menu, a drink or the check required immense effort. The restaurants were just as bad and we often heard people around us complaining that they never received drinks they ordered, sending their food back two times before it was right, etc. If you do stay here, eat every meal next door on the beach at Jasmine. No bar service at pools or beach usually but once someone came by to take an order. We got our drinks 90 minutes later.

Rooms: The Coral rooms are far from the main area but offer nice privacy if you stay higher up. Best part of the room was the outdoor shower, which is a nice touch. Otherwise rooms are a bit grimy. Housekeeping does the bar minimum -- in 6 days our bathroom counter was never wiped off, shower drains never cleaned, etc. Balcony has a big wooden day bed but no cushion so it's useless. No minibar but you can buy stuff off the lobby at mini-bar prices (hotel pretends this is an advantage but appears to just be laziness).

Pools/Beach: The infinity pool (by coral rooms) and beach is gorgeous, but terrible towel service (run out, old and nasty towels, etc.), and almost no chairs. Even though the infinity pool probably had room for 25 chairs, they had about 8, so we'd commonly see people laying a towel down on hard wood floor and laying down. Beach is enormous, quiet and gorgeous. Probably the best beach of any hotel on the island. But they also only have about 20 chairs on the entire beach, a third of which are broken. The main pool has space for about 40 chairs but they only bought about 14. But the beach is incredibly peaceful. Almost no boat traffic, no one walking around selling you stuff, no one from other hotels using the beach, etc. You come here for the beach and it doesn't disappoint.

Fitness Center: They really don't have one. Not a single elliptical, not a single treadmill, and in a room you'd never want to walk in.

Internet: Use requires a long password and username that must be re-entered literally every time your phone locks or your computer goes into standby. Never experienced anything so frustrating. Who are they protecting the internet from? This is an isolated resort.

The Good: First of all, I doubt you will find much better elsewhere on the island. As I mentioned, you come to the hotel for the beautiful quiet beach and it does not disappoint. The hotel also has a sunset bar open for a couple hours each evening over the sunset period. This was a great touch. Beautiful location and well done. Also, while our rooms were far from the main hotel area, they offer breakfast and lunch at a location right by our rooms which was particularly nice for breakfast, and there is a nice pool by the rooms (and the beach extends down there as well). If only they had remotely enough chairs and any decent towel service by that pool we'd never have left that area.

Overall: if you know what to expect (have LOW expectations for the accommodations) and you are ok with the price for that (in our case we paid $450/night for what I felt was worth $150/night) then do it. You probably can't get much better in Phi Phi. Expect to be ripped off to spend a week in paradise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JML1817
Carol W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear JML1817

Thank you for uploading your review on Tripadvisor and for providing your feedback.
We are very sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was not up to your expectations and would like to inform you some of the action we have taken to rectify some of the points you have raised.

With regards to the Bars and Restaurants, we have a new Food and Beverage Manager who has started on 7th January and with whom I am working very closely to solve the issues around service and food quality. I am most certain that as his extensive experience will show positive results in a short period of time.

Regarding the cleanliness issues in your room, our hotel prides itself of the highest cleanliness scores in the region and can only understand your findings as a personal performance problem with the maid that looked after your room. Please rest assured that the necessary training will be provided to ensure we deliver a consistent level of cleanliness.

On the subject of the pool chairs, it is our intent to keep these areas a relaxing place where everybody can enjoy some privacy too. Adding more chairs to both pools will definitely take this privacy away and clutter the space too much. But we most certainly appreciate your comment about the beach chairs and are happy to inform you that since your stay we have increased the amount of chairs on the beach and we have purchased 300 towels.

The treadmill that was not on the fitness centre is currently on mainland under repair. Unfortunately the company on mainland repairing it has been closed for the festive season, but they have promised to return it in the next two weeks. We apologize for the delay in having it back in the fitness room. I am happy to inform you, that we have also installed a brand new TV to the fitness room and that further enhancements are underway.

Thank you for your compliments on the Sunset Bar and the Coral Wing restaurant. The Coral Wing restaurant Chom Talay was opened recently to cater for our Coral Wing guests and there are plans of opening also a reception desk for our guests to avoid having to walk to the main wing for assistance. We are looking to complete this later in the year.

We have also received the Holiday Inn survey you have completed and will reply back to you on a private e mail.

In the meantime, I would like to offer you our apologies once again for any inconvenience and hope that we will be able to welcome you once again to our resort.

Sunny regards