“Disappointing”

Ibex Climbing & Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: At Ibex we offer a fun and exciting rock climbing experience. No experience is required! Our introductory climbing classes are designed for beginners and intermediate climbers who want to learn new skills in a safe yet challenging environment.Our experienced guides are there to help and advise you each step of the way, to your own abilities and strengths.For the most amazing view of Phi Phi Island from high above, we climb Tonsei Tower.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We booked two trips with IBEX.
The first one was a fun-climbing trip at Tonsai-tower.
First of all: We didnt get any instruction.The two guides didnt even talk to us - Im not the most
talky person in the world,but if I wouldnt have started a smalltalk here and there,they would probably have never said a single word.
My girlfriend got a little injury while climbing and the only way to help her was OUR first-aid package.The IBEX guys didnt have anything.
Ok,so why booking a second time?I guess I just enjoyed climbing the Tonsai-tower and I didnt
really think about the bad guidance anymore.

The second trip was a snorkeltrip to Bamboo Island and some other places.
We didnt stop at Long Beach,because "theres no chance to see a shark".So we went on,had some stops at Bamboo and Moskito island and wanted to go back to Tonsai.
The boat engine broke and smoke and fuel sprayed around.The IBEX team smoked one cigarette after another and tried to "repair" the engine.No chance.
So we stuck in the middle of the ocean for about an hour.The IBEX guys didnt say a word to us.
A second boat came and instead of bringing us all back,they tried to the repair the damn engine several times,ending up with pulling our boat to Tonsai-beach.

We were pretty disappointed and asked the guys about having a little refund for this trouble.
The answer was laughter.No refund,no apology.

Never again.

2  Thank Rhinoceros12345

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This tour was interesting. I would say it was the highlight of our time in Thailand and we still talk about the trip and laugh about the memories. I will start by saying it's not a HIGH quality tour, hence why it was around 20$ per person USD. The trip started on a long-tail boat, 20 people, one boat- it was cozy, but this is where we met some friends and it was a good environment for backpackers.

We first went to "Monkey feeding" on monkey beach. This was the biggest disappointment of the trip for me. They basically fed the monkeys pineapples, coke cola and candy to make the monkeys entertain. Our guide found this very humorous, meanwhile one of the members of our group got BIT on the shoulder! my advice: Don’t go near the monkeys. It was apparent these monkeys had been treated like this for years, purely so tourists get entertainment. Very little respect for the livelihood of the animals.
Next, we went cliff jumping. This was at one location with 2 different height jumps. The ocean was rough and waves were crashing up against the rocks where we had to tactfully climb up the jagged rocks. Of COURSE we still did it. There was no way we were missing out, but I think we were there on a MUCH sketchier day than normal. The highest jump was very high (14m) , and my boyfriend did both jumps and was very pleased. I just did the smaller jump (10m) which was high enough for me. It was pretty epic.
Then we went snorkelling in the area where “The Beach” was filmed. What a BEAUTIFUL area. There was a good amount of fish: better than Vietnam snorkelling, but worse than the Great Barrier Reef. About the same amount of fish as you would see in Maui. We were given a good amount of time to explore the ocean.
After the snorkelling, we went ashore the beach where “The Beach” was filmed. It was an extra 20 Baht I believe. Which we didn’t have on us.. so we stayed on the boat, which was so relaxing and we got some amazing photos.
Next we drove the boat to catch a glimpse of the beautiful sunset, before heading to the LATE NIGHT EPIC TIKI TORCH BBQ!
The BBQ was delicious, with entertainment from fire twirlers and a breathtaking location. We parked the boat in a small cove, far away from the town. When we went through the cave entrance, which was located toward the back of the cove we saw lights and heard music! It was a proper beach CLUB right on the sand. It was so much fun. We drank... quite a bit.. and there were two choices to get a ride back to Koh Phi Phi. 8 pm and 9pm. We took the late ride and enjoyed the bar, and the phosphorescence from the ocean. The plankton gleaning sunlight from the day at night when you move the water around, created “sparkles” in the water. It was pretty magical. A night swim.. I guess we had a few buckets by then as well.
All in all, the trip goes down in the record books for fun, cheap entertaining fun.
I would do it again.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This trip to SE Asia was mainly a rock climbing trip for me, with stops so far in Vang Vieng, Koh Tao, and of course Railay, but I'd seen some great pictures of climbing over on Koh Phi Phi ...so I thought I'd hop over there and check it out. The staff at Ibex were very friendly, and the guide made the climbing fun ...and I can't imagine a better view off the wall than at Tonsai Tower! Next time back this way I definitely want to spend more time climbing here, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending Ibex!

2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We found out about IBEX when I was looking into rock climbing tours on Phi Phi island. Their Fantastic 3 in 1 tour was very eye catching on the website, plus the price's so affordable. So we decided to give it a shot for 3 in 1 first to see if they were worth it for us to sign up for Deep Water Solo for the next day. It turned out to be a BLAST! Best tour I have ever attended! They have really awesome guides to keep us safe and entertaining all the way. It was just too much fun and surprises to handle within 6 hours. You can find our first hand detailed experience and pictures on my blog -

The moment we came back from the private beach BBQ to the island, we immediately signed up for Deep Water Solo with them. They earned our trust by putting up with an indeed fantastic tour. The minimum headcount for Deep Water Solo is 2. We were lucky enough to be the only 2 ppl who joined this tour on that day. In other words, we were like VIPs guided by two awesome guides Art and Kit. No ropes, no harnesses, no carabinars, no rappel devices whatsoever, the only climbing gear we needed was rock climbing shoes. We climbed, we fell or jumped directly into the water. The most natural way of climbing on the gorgeous superstar island in Thailand with cool people absolutely hit the spot! For more details, check out my blog post -

All in all, IBEX knows how to create FUN! Highly recommended!

P.S. A waterproof bag is recommended if you would like to join any of their tours.

1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Signed up for the 3 in 1 tour as it was cheaper than the alternatives but wish I hadn't. We went to Maya Bay and did some snorkelling which was fine but then we went to their private beach where we were basically stuck for 2 hours wishing we could go home. The BBQ was poor and small portions (a third of a potato each and a tiny bit of chicken), the fire show was the worst I've seen in Thailand and then to top it off to see the plankton we just waded out knee deep into the water. It was advertised as 'swimming' with plankton but they don't give you a snorkel and without a snorkel you lose so much of the glowing effect. Incredibly disappointing! Actually swimming with plankton is meant to be incredible and I know now other companies do it properly so I wish I had gone with them.

The first boat home left at 8.30pm and everyone was so desperate to leave from boredom they were jumping on from all sides, of course there were no lights on the boat so in the pitch black everyone fell on top of each other and a few people got hurt.

Although cheap it's really not worth the money at all.