“Worst hostel I've stayed in”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phi Phi Don
The Rock Backpacker
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Worst hostel I've stayed in”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed in a four bed dorm. Beds were broken. One bedpost had a rusty nail coming out of it. Bed sheets were dirty. Mattresses and pillows were hard and heavily stained with all sorts. Room was way too hot to sleep in, coupled with horrible surroundings, I didn't get a single nights sleep. I checked out after the first night and stayed at Flower Bungalows across the road which was so much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Layth H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Odessa, Ukraine
Reviewed February 12, 2013

First night i stayed in private room. It was a sign on the wall "even my prison-cell was bigger than this [--] room" and thats true. Bed sheets was dirty and nasty. Owner is very rude.
Price is bloody high for this kind of rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank itscooltotravel

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Beware worst experience, never had such rude hosts in my life. Never wrote one of these but if i can help prevent the same from happening to one other person its more then worth it. The room was a dump with a broken fan beds covered with sand and ants which I didn't mind considering it was considered cheap for the island but the hospitality was beyond believable. The women freaked out at a few girls staying in the same room as me for writing on one of their walls which are all already covered with doodles and signatures which were offered to be scrubbed off yet blown off with swears and rude gestures. After a horrible sleep the following morning after multiple threats and curses To my friends I still decide to wait for my food since i was starving. My breakfast finally arrived and I take my first few bites the chef comes out to watch me eat it then proceeds to point and laugh at me in a no other way to explain it but evil way. Telling another few workers there they all stare at me and do the same as if in disbelief I'm eating the food. Didn't take long to figure out they tampered with my weak looking meal. Of course I'm upset but don't say anything and as I try to leave to catch my ferry The same woman walks up and demands I pay for the meal which iv already paid. The kid that I paid was nowhere to be seen so they keep on demanding I pay again so I track down the boy whom I paid which confirms what I was saying. No apology just stern looks and scowling faces as I leave. Not sure what they put in my food but I'm already feeling sick. I just hope it was simply hair or dirt and not something poisonous which wouldn't surprise me the way it went down. The fact that they not only gave our whole group threats but they screwed with someone's food over a few marks on a wall has left me furious. I know they wouldn't do this to everyone otherwise they would be out of business which might happen soon at the way they handled it. Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank BCbudzz
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

So I peeked into the dorms and felt like it was a scene from the haullocaust... So I booked a private room :-) to my surprise I had a cute room waaayy up the stairs with a beach view and nice bed! It was Exellent! Quiet stay and so close to the beach and restaurants and activities!! The restaurants staff was disgustingly bad but didnt let it ruin my day :-) would probably stay again given its the cheapest nice option I could find.

• Stayed January 2013
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hostel had a very good location, on this small island. It is located on a rock, only a few minutes from the two beaches or all the night-life venues. To get to the dorm rooms you have to climb several steps. The bathrooms are plenty and clean, but the big mixed dorm (16 beds, 300.- Baht/night) looks like it could use a layer of fresh paint and new furniture. While I stayed, someone's laptop was stolen from one of the lockers, so don't leave anything valuable. It's a good place to start the patry every night, but that means that also people who don't stay here can walk in and out as they please.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The rock is THE ROCK! I have been travelling 16months and the rock is without a doubt or second thought the best hostel I have stayed in! I first went to the rock at the start of my trip in Oct 2011. The plan was to stay 3 nights I stayed 6. After that first experince no other hostel has lived up to it! Ok the rooms not brilliant, but u have what u need a bed! And the bathrooms are spotless with sometimes hot water (a luxuary in asia). After a year away I booked to go back to phi phi and could never bring myself to stay anywhere but the rock. And again it was the most amazing time I have ever had. I planned for 6 nights there and stayed 11. The rock just gets u! You can't stay there if you want to sleep or be anti social, you go there to have a good time, let loose and meet people. Both trips there I have turned up alone and left with at least 5 others to traval further with. As other reviews say though I would recomend trying to get a top bunk and those people who complain about having things stolen, there are lockers there for a reason so use them and ull be fine! And as for bed bugs, every traveller has to experience them at least once so why not on phi phi! (you can wash ur stuff and there gone not worth crying over) and lastly both times iv stayed there iv found the people that work there are lovely....

• Stayed October 2012
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've travelled a lot and slept in many hostels. The Rock was defenitley my WORST hostel-experience. The staff was unfriendly, rude and very impolite. The dorms are very disgusting, smelly and it is almost impossible to sleep on the very hard matresses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
October Hostel
October Hostel
#30 of 88 in Ko Phi Phi Don
Stones Bar Dorm Rooms and Restaurant
Stones Bar Dorm Rooms and Restau...
#12 of 88 in Ko Phi Phi Don
#42 of 139 in Ao Nang
Apache Beach House
Apache Beach House
#44 of 88 in Ko Phi Phi Don

Been to The Rock Backpacker? Share your experiences!