“Cheap Backpackers Place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phi Phi Don
The Rock Backpacker
Vienna, Austria
“Cheap Backpackers Place”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hostel had a very good location, on this small island. It is located on a rock, only a few minutes from the two beaches or all the night-life venues. To get to the dorm rooms you have to climb several steps. The bathrooms are plenty and clean, but the big mixed dorm (16 beds, 300.- Baht/night) looks like it could use a layer of fresh paint and new furniture. While I stayed, someone's laptop was stolen from one of the lockers, so don't leave anything valuable. It's a good place to start the patry every night, but that means that also people who don't stay here can walk in and out as they please.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The rock is THE ROCK! I have been travelling 16months and the rock is without a doubt or second thought the best hostel I have stayed in! I first went to the rock at the start of my trip in Oct 2011. The plan was to stay 3 nights I stayed 6. After that first experince no other hostel has lived up to it! Ok the rooms not brilliant, but u have what u need a bed! And the bathrooms are spotless with sometimes hot water (a luxuary in asia). After a year away I booked to go back to phi phi and could never bring myself to stay anywhere but the rock. And again it was the most amazing time I have ever had. I planned for 6 nights there and stayed 11. The rock just gets u! You can't stay there if you want to sleep or be anti social, you go there to have a good time, let loose and meet people. Both trips there I have turned up alone and left with at least 5 others to traval further with. As other reviews say though I would recomend trying to get a top bunk and those people who complain about having things stolen, there are lockers there for a reason so use them and ull be fine! And as for bed bugs, every traveller has to experience them at least once so why not on phi phi! (you can wash ur stuff and there gone not worth crying over) and lastly both times iv stayed there iv found the people that work there are lovely....

• Stayed October 2012
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've travelled a lot and slept in many hostels. The Rock was defenitley my WORST hostel-experience. The staff was unfriendly, rude and very impolite. The dorms are very disgusting, smelly and it is almost impossible to sleep on the very hard matresses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I ended up going back here twice during my stay in Thailand. The Rock is undoubtably a party hostel with hard beds and noisy dorm but it is also a friendly place with clean and plentiful bathrooms. Very sociable and a great place to visit alone or in a group. There are safe boxes on each bed and they provide clean towels etc whenever you ask. I would stay again and it doesn't matter if its noisy as I would presume you will be out until the early hours anyway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Worst place we stayed during our 6 weeks in Thailand. Very scary owners, so many steps to walk up, unclean washing facilities (full of cockroaches). Our room smelt and the bed was extremely hard. We moved after one night to the Harmony Hotel down the road.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Large plain rooms with uncomfortable beds and people constantly coming in and out but thats ok because youll probably be drunk most nights. expensive for a hostel but average for phi phi. location is good. stayed 2 nights. recommend having your own lock and using the safe boxes. good for solo travelling as you meet a lot of people there. showers are good!

Room Tip: dorm rooms are noisy
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JakeIsaac
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed in a private room with a double and single bed with 2 of my friends. It was very clean and the beds were comfy. In no time we were out in the social area outside dorm A pre-drinking and meeting people who would turn out to be the same people we travelled with for the remainder of our time in thailand (4weeks). We had the best of both worlds staying in a private room and being able to get sleep if we wanted, and being right outside the dorms where we could socialise and hang out. I ended up sleeping in the dorms 3 out of the 6 nights I stayed here which is defnintely an experience!
Our private room, 3 persons, was 700 baht per night. Therefore working out 35 THB more than if we had payed separately for a dorm bed. Worth it for sure.
Great little restaurant/bar on the premises with friendly staff. Can't say the same about the staff who work on reception, however if I saw half the stuff they've seen over the years that goes on at the rock, I would be a grumpy, backpacker-hating person also!
We loved it so much we also got the name of the hostel tattooed onto our arms in thai when we were on ko tao! Stupidity maybe, however without the rock my entire trip would never have been the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends