“Not cheap, but great value, clean and comfortable!”
Review of JJ Residence

JJ Residence
Ranked #5 of 64 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a limited time window in which to find a place to stay for the night in Ko Phi Phi, after our day's activities and before the afternoon ferry left. JJ Residence was the third place we tried and the first with a free double room.

Although the woman at reception didn't speak much English she seemed to understand us fine and was quite happy to show us the room. She took us up to the top floor, room 401, and we agreed to take it almost immediately.

The room cost 1,800 baht for a night, which is expensive even in high season, but I am very glad we stayed there and believe it was worth the money (at least in Tonsai Village where accommodation is expensive in general). We eventually extended our stay another couple of nights because we were having such a good time and liked the guesthouse (though sadly I got food poisoning on our last day there!).

I'll note first that although many earlier reviews mention broken or non-existent wifi, these problems seem to have been resolved as of January 2013; we had free wifi and it seemed to work well even on the very top floor.

The room was clean, with a clean double bed, and nice shower/bathroom. There are decent facilities like a TV (though who wants to watch TV on holiday?), a kettle, a small hair dryer, a fridge with bottles of water, and a safe.

We also had air con which worked very well and was quiet. The only real negative was that the bed just had a duvet, no top sheet; it would've been nicer to have the air con on low or off and lie under a sheet, but with the duvet we pretty much had to have air con on overnight.

The pool is small and not very deep but well-maintained, rarely very busy, and great for a quick dip. We were a bit jealous of those with pool access rooms!

Although Ko Phi Phi is very noisy, the guesthouse is set back a little and seems reasonably (though not completely) sheltered from the noise. Both of us were able to get a good night's sleep. If you are a light sleeper though earplugs may be advisable.

The top floor had nice views but the rooms don't have their own balcony as the other floors do, and I think also the ceiling is lower. My boyfriend is 5'10" and it wasn't a problem for him, but if you're very tall you might want a room on another floor.

As we hadn't checked TripAdvisor before we went to Ko Phi Phi and were essentially looking for any place with clean rooms, I think we were very lucky to find JJ Residence! It was a lovely place to spend three nights. Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank chocmilk03

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the JJ Residence in July of 2012. The room was very nice with a balcony that you could see a bit of the beach. The wooden walls made the room look lovely. The location was fine, but the island is small and so just about any where is easy to get to. The staff did not speak English and thus communication was difficult. The internet was down our entire stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I don’t have much to say about this place. We stayed for two nights whilst travelling around the islands. The room was beautiful, clean and had pool free access from our little patio which was very sweet.

There didn’t appear to be anyone staying in the hotel so noise was at a minimum and even with bustling tonsai just round the corner if you wanted to sleep it was no problem at all. The staff were helpful and no one said anything when we were listening to music on our patio in the evening and we always had the pool to ourselves.

There was little to zero atmosphere in the hotel – however all the action is no more than 5mins walk from the hotel. And I personally think that what you need – a comfy room to nurse a hangover but other than that you want to be out and about soaking up what this gorgeous, wild and hilarious island has to offer.

I’d recommend!! X x

Room Tip: We had one on the ground floor and it was nice to have the pool access.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The rooms are spacious and very well-maintained. There is a nice balcony with each room. The location is just right, because you can get anywhere in 5 minutes, but also enjoy a good night's sleep, in spite of all the partying just a stone's throw away.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 3rd floor for good views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suyash R
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Located 50 seconds from the beach and only 2 minutes walk from all of the main tourist shops and bars. Rooms are extremely clean and spacious. Comfortable beds and air conditioning which works! The swimming pool is large and clean and the hotel overall has a warm, tropical feel. At night time the entire front of the hotel is closed except for a small entrance which makes you feel safe at night. Staff are friendly but not very helpful. No toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet (but this is standard for all of the smaller thailand islands). One of the best value for money stays on the island.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights.
Clean with good aircon and modern bedrooms and facilities.
Nothing much to fault except for the person who cleaned our rooms.. As we had arrived in Phi Phi in the rain, many of our belongings were wet and I personally had a lot of items out of my suitcase. When my friend and I returned from a day out, all my bags had been removed off the floor and placed in different areas of the room( draws/ on furniture). My friends pj's were moved off her bed and my suitcase was moved into a different area of the room.
I firmly believe that this was done with good intentions and in order to clean our room better but it really isn't appropriate to move belongings to the extent that this individual did.

Apart from that, the location of the hotel is good, a bit noisy but still good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2012

They met us at the pier which was very helpful. We had a pool room and the access to the pool was great. The pool and the room were clean. Very quiet - enjoyed some of the fun on the beach but happy to return to a place we could sleep (we are in our 40s). Easy beach access. Overall, very good.

Only BIG drawback - no Internet working and in no hurry to fix it which is ridiculous for this price range.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple