“Very dangerous one armed employee!!!”

Golden Hill Bungalows
Breda, The Netherlands
“Very dangerous one armed employee!!!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Only one night I stayed with a group of friends at Koh Phi Phi. We had an amazing night of partying! But the night ended in a nightmare...! When me and my boyfriend came back at our room. We did not see anyone else at the bungalows. I went into the room and suddenly I hear my boyfriend getting slapped!. I went outside and he told me that someone suddenly came from the side and slapped him in the head. He saw the one armed guy who was working at the reception running away. No conversation with the guy had ever happened and out of the blue he is slapping someone! I went down to talk to the guy and ask him what the hell was going on. He did not want to say any word to me and he was looking extremely angry. He looked like he was going insane, or he had taken really weird drugs. He scared the hell out of me. Then my boyfriend came down aswell and the guy immediately grapped a big piece of wood and slapped my boyfriend in the head!! Then the guy ran away! My boyfriend was bleeding enormously out of the head and we had to go to the hospital. The next day when we saw the guy again for a second he immediately became angry again! We walked away because we did not want to get in any more trouble as foreigners. We have absolutely no idea what could be his motive to get so angry. It was one of the most scary nights of my life. Never go there, it is dangerous!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank AnneKr27

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My stay at Golden Hill bungalows is a cherished one. Upon my arrival it was immediate the owner & staff were very friendly & all smiles. I was shown my little hut on top of a hill which upon entering I found superb & fitted my needs nicely!
Amenities & toiletry were great whilst the little patio area to sit back & enjoy the view of the sunset, trees & limestone’s. Refreshments & Wi-Fi is also there when you need it.

It is within walking distance to but yet far away from all the noise & traffic. One of my favourite things to do is buy groceries & refreshments at the local shops & venture up the tsunami lookout point to the top of the hill. From there you have spectacular vistas of both Phi Phi isles & the view is breathtaking & unreal.

Both beaches are close by in close proximity whilst bars, restaurants, the pier, schools & even the kickboxing stadium are very close by. The only downside is upon returning to your hut you will need to tread along an inclined rocky pavement with a scarce amount of light. A problem easily fixable if not already fixed.

A total of 3 days stay was sufficient to get a general feel of the vibe this island has to offer. Stayed November 2010.

Room Tip: Do check out the Italian restaurant directly opposite the Bob Marley reggae sign! superb food &...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay here I originally booked for 3 nights and extended to 7. The value was great they have a pool free wifi an English staff who were very helpful in pointing out the nightlife, restaurants and beach hotspots. I think some of the reviews on here are from people who stayed at golden hill guesthouse not bungalows as my stay was excellent, I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Oratepal
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here only one night for our one night trip to Ko Phi Phi. When we arrived we were not aware there was no transport on the island and were shocked to find Golden Hill Bungalows is quite a hike from the port (not ideal in the heat or for anyone that struggles with walking, hills, steps etc). We did manage to pay one of the guys that use trollies to escort your bags to hotels etc and paid him next to nothing, well worth doing this. When we arrived the reception is like an outside decking type style, and the guy on reception was friendly but a bit clueless with certain things. There are lockers at reception which require your own padlock however there is not always someone there. We had a little bungalow up a steep couple of steps overlooking the swimming pool which was quaint. The bungalow literally had 2 beds, a plug socket, a mirror and a walk in bath room with a shower. You get what you pay for but it serves its purpose and you do have to pay 500baht for a key deposit which you get back on checkout. There was however 5 of us in our party and there bungalow was further back and higher up - hence hill bungalows so not ideal for those who struggle to walk etc. Overall ideal for low budget and backpackers, our room key operated the fan. The only thing that wasn't ideal was we had a few power cut's but this is not unusual as we found out in Thailand along the way. Do not forget your deet / insect spray as mossys and whatever else little critters that bite are rife as there is a huge lake located right our

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We unfortunately stayed in the higher 'older bungalows' of this resort. The result was a bit of a steep climb and fan only.
The resort itself is pretty good. On an island that boasts its natural untouched vibe its good that this place hasn't commercialised itself too much. It is a 15minute walk to the beach which is a bit of a bummer but nothing to put you off staying as the resort has a pool and to be honest walking anywhere on this island is enjoyable!

I would recommend booking in advance and requesting a bungalow around the pool.

The distance away from the beach and clubs means that these bungalows are fairly quiet and the distance from the beach sadly isn't reflected in the price, with it offering prices similar to some of the bungalows closer to the beach.

As much as I enjoyed my stay here, next time I am likely to stay closer to 'the action'.

Room Tip: Probably best to pay the extra for the aircon as it means you'll be in the newer rooms, closer t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

December 2012- A gentle stroll through the town area takes you to this pleasant guest house, we were shown to a delightful little bungalow set up in the trees.

Our room was comfortable with a decent shower. The pool is clean and a lovely added extra.

The owner and his wife are very friendly! Koh Phi Phi is beautiful.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jules6525
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed in December 2012 don't really see what all the bad reviews are about! The rooms are perfect size, clean and safe. The people are great. The hotel is run by an English man and his wife he is always happy to help. I would definitely stay again

• Stayed December 2012