“Great Find”

Golden Hill Bungalows
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Having read the reviews on here, I probably wouldn't have stayed here - but I'm glad I didn't as this place was a great find. On arrival to Koh Phi Phi Don, there is a free luggage porter service where a guy put your bags in his cart and wheels it to the hotel for you. Check-in was great, friendly and easy. I had an air-con deluxe room (quite pricey but worth it for the air-con) and was happy with the size of the bed and the bathroom/wet-room. There is free wi-fi and I was able to access it in my room. They are in the process of building a pool I believe so the place is a bit busy with workmen but no where near as bad as other reviewers have stated.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and I would have happily stayed longer if I had the time. The bungalows are a little out the way after climbing up a long set of steps but it's only about 5 minutes stroll to the centre of town, or 15 minutes to Long Beach (by far the best bech on the island). All staff are friendly and from England so they speak perfect English. My only thought to the other reviews is that they have reviewed the wrong Golden Hill as there is a dingy little hotel down the bottom of the hill with a similar name.

When I return to Koh Phi Phi, I will be coming back to Golden Hill Bungalows (Bungalow Dave)!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adam Q

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Location- when it rains it's full of sewerage- it feels like walking in the slums and is one of the far end places to stay.

Room- smelt like urine (and that wasn't even from the toilet)- stains everywhere. There were large gaps in the floorboards and lizards were climbing through.

Bathroom- no door handle on the "en suite" so the vile bathroom was left hanging open for you to see when you are in bed. the toilet seat was covered in stains and it was filthy!

Service- the Thai lady was sweet and offered discount if we booked another day (probably realising that after seeing it, we wouldn't be staying long)...I am angered that this is run by English people- shame on you guys- I've stayed in cheaper places with better hygiene and appeal. after braving the night we moved elsewhere- double in price but it felt like a sanctuary compared with the Golden Hill. there was nothing Golden about it unfortunately. I'm not one to complain, but I'm angry that these people think it was an acceptable room to sleep in. I couldn't wait to leave. If I had met the English man running this, I would have liked to have voiced my anger- the place was empty and there was nothing social about it.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Apparently an award winning place to stay! I think not, to say we were disappointed has to be the understatement of the century. We had high hopes for Golden Hill, it looked lovely on the internet, just what we were looking for and within budget too. Friendly English staff, free Wifi and a short walk into the centre. That part is true, you cant fault the staff and there is wifi but sadly the signal only stretches to the bar area. As for the short walk...almost a mountain climb to the bungalows this was the point I was glad I had a backpack and not a wheely suitcase! The bungalows are situated next to a damn and a lot of building work's, so far from town that we actually moved accomodation because we werent fancying our chances walking back in the dark passed an unlit dam after a few changs. The room itself was very basic, with a fan and 2 single beds. Not very welcoming and we wanted to get out of there as fast as we could. We were also not met at the Port by staff as stated on the website and had to find our own way, we were stopped by a dive school who contacted Golden Hill for us and arranged for someone to come and meet us and carry our luggage. Word of warning...Golden Hill isnt even located on the Map of Ton Sai village unlike all the other hostels and hotels, thats how far away it is!
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND unless you really dont care where you stay or how far away it is. Golden it is most certainly not..at least the hill part is true!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The evening after arriving here, I returned to my room to find my door open and the air con turned off. The door on my room actually wouldnt even close (let alone lock), and there was no remote control for the air conditioning....and no one in the reception area! So I had to return to the tourist office at the pier to have them help me get this sorted. The person in reception couldnt speak english. There was never any remote supplied for the air con (I froze in the night), TV didnt work...no fridge, there was dark yellow pee on the toilet seat and in the bowl when I arrived, about 3 tiny streams of water for the shower...there were young english lads staying in the room next to me and were HORRENDOUSLY noisy till all hours of the morning (think play fighting, loud music, etc)! Generally not a very nice place to stay and I wouldnt return!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank youju806
Reviewed May 3, 2011

so the 30000 steps to the guesthouse isnt that bad! its the steps to the dorm that kill you, there uneven as hell. i stayed here 1 night and i woke up head to toe in bites. ran to the chemist and they insisted it was fleas. yes i got eaten alive by fleas!!!! girl in next bed said the night before that a girl was bitten the same way i was. the bed was infested with fleas!! im not exagerating either my whole body in enormous batches of bites.there was not one bit of my body that wasnt covered. if you travel with a flea collar then wear it when you go here, splash out pay a bit more for luxury!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank prune293924
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Smelly room. Dirty sheets. Suspect stains on walls. We've had so many great rooms for less money.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Bingothailand
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed in Golden Hill Bungalows on Phi Phi Don 3 nights including New Year's one. I found this hostel pretty average in terms of lodging, but it has a very good atmosphere due to mixed British-Thai team. They are quite friendly and helpful and we considered them as our co-travellers rather than hotel staff. Say, when they had a party on New Year's eve, they made delicious bbq (fish, meat, sausages) and treated us with some pieces.

The hostel is located a little bit off the central part of the island, so you'll enjoy a quiet night. The payoff is 10 minutes walking.

Rooms are very simple, yet some of them boast sat TV. Rooms and bathrooms are pretty clean. We were 4 travelling couples and booked same room categories. Meanwhile, we were placed in totally different rooms at check-in, from spartan twin with fan and cold shower to cozy air conditioned with hot shower. Not very fair.

Rooms are located on the hill, indeed, so if you're on the top you'll need to climb there. They have a terrace at lobby where one can have a basic meal that they serve. Hint: order nothing but a cup of coffee (30 baht for a huge excellent brew).

There's a free wireless internet there, but the signal weakens as you go up on the hill.

If asked to answer binary (yes-no) I'd rather recommend this hostel for backpackers and those who are on budget travel. But don't expect luxury, you get just lodging with good atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends