“Super Fun and not just for the Booze ”

Captain Bob's Cruise
Ranked #6 of 47 Tours in Ko Phi Phi Don
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Captain Bob's Cruise is Koh Phi Phi's original party boat. We include open bar before and after trip that is included in your ticket price. We go to Monkey Beach, Pi-Leh Bay, Viking Cave, Loh Samah Bay, Maya Bay "The Beach" and then sunset inside Wang long Cove. Activities are Snorkelling, SUP Boarding, and Normal Drinking. All inclusive with Lunch, Fruit, Water, Soft Drinks, Snacks and UNLIMITED FREE ALCOHOL before and after the trip in our bar. The best attractions & activities without feeling like a tourist!
Reviewed March 14, 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I absolutely loved doing this cruise. At first I wasn't sure as I didnt wanna just go on a drinking boat, but they actually take you to some amazing spots, you go cliff jumping, you go to Maya when is not that crowded and the secret sunset spot is unbelievable.
They also do a good job at promoting it to the right people, so you get to hang out with a pretty fun group and make new friends.
Although captain Bob himself is a bit pretentious and arrogant, his crew is amazing. Jason was in our trip that day and not only was he super friendly and was attentive, making sure we had drinks and were having a good time, but he also saved our gopro and all our pictures!!
I did the cliff jump while holding the go pro in my hand and the cheap selfie stick broke leaving me with a piece of stick in my hand and no gopro. While Bob was in a hurry to get us back on the sail boat to go to the next location, Jason knew how valueable our pictures were and quickly grabbed some fins and jumped in the water to help us find it. After a few minutes (and some prayers) he came out of the water with gopro in hand. We were sooo grateful for him caring enough to help us and happily enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

All reviews
"super fun"
"recommend this trip"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2015 via mobile

My friend and I decided to try this cruise on my birthday and it was worth every penny. We went on the speedboat as the sailboat was full and had a phenomenal time. Fred and Jason are excellent guides and very helpful and friendly. Jason rescued my waterproof camera when I dropped it while swimming. I thought I would never see it again but he started diving down and looking around and within a few minutes he popped out of the water with it in his hand!
Drinks and sandwiches are provided, the sandwich was delicious. You will never forget watching the sunset in a secluded bay wearing a life jacket like a diaper with a drink in your hand, doesn't get any better than that!
I can't recommend this tour highly enough it has been the highlight of our trip.

Reviewed March 6, 2015 via mobile

Looooved this amazing experience!! Captain Bob and Sunshine rocks! They made us feel like family. Great boat, great people, great adventure! Loved maya beach and the cave with the bats. And the free beer and drinks;-) So nice to sit behind the boat in the kajaks. It would be a shame not to do this cruise if you go to phi phi! Have fun!;-)

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed March 5, 2015

IMPORTANT: Bring your own thick reef water shoes.

This comes from someone who has been on the Bob's Sailing Booze Cruise 3 times and sliced his foot on a coral the last time. If this does happen to you, make sure you visit the local hospital (turn left from the pier and walk for about 300 m. It will be on your right side) and don't be afraid to do the vaccination for Tetanus, if you haven't.

As for the Bob's Sailing Booze Cruise. We went on 16th of February, 2015, on a sailboat and it was OK. My first two visits were in mid August, 2014, during low season, on a speed boat and it was AMAZING. In fact, it was so great the first time, that we went again, two days later. The big difference is if you are going with the sailboat or the speedboat.
Differences:
Sailboat & High Season
The sailboat is slightly slower and everyone is mostly facing outwards, looking into the sea. There isn't much conversation happening because you only got a few people to each side. The cool thing is that they have 3 kayaks that are dragged behind the sailboat and you can get into them for fun.
The big bummer is that the sailboat cannot get very close to beaches, so you will have to jump and swim most of the time if you want to get to the shore, which is fine, HOWEVER, during high season, the water level is on average 1-2 meters lower than in low season. Which means that the monkey beach is now much, much larger and the sailboat OR the speedboat can no longer park on the beach (some corals are pretty tall so the speedboats don't risk it).
The other major drawback for going during high season is that the lagoon, on the other side of Maya Beach is nearly empty and you can no longer chill there. We had a really fun hour in that lagoon when we visited in August.

Speedboat & Low Season
The best thing about the speedboat is that everyone is packed together in the back of the boat. At first its not a pleasant feeling, but after cliff jumping and a few beers, you become best pals with everyone. That is what we enjoyed the most in August - the social factor. Not only that, our tour guide was extremely social and invited every single person to join into the main conversation. Even the shy ones started talking after a while.
Getting into Maya Bay and parking the speedboat inside of it is a hit and miss. First time (in August) we weren't able to get in and had to get from the side, where as the second time around (2 days later), the speedboat went very close to the beach and we walked for a bit in the shallow water.
The other good thing about going in Low Season is that there are WAAAAY fewer people in Maya Beach at all times. And by fewer people, I mean a few hundred less. Its crazy. When we went in February, I wasn't even interested getting off the boat and making my way to Maya Beach due to the hoards of people (which clears up by the evening).

MAIN DIFFERENCE.
So here the main part. The stuff that makes Bob's Sailing Booze Cruise amazing and sadly, it is not Captain Bob, but it is all about the tour guide.
In August we had Jason with us and this guy was absolutely mental. We had ALOOOOT of fun and it was mostly because of him. He is single-handedly the reason reason why we went for two trips in two days in August.
In February with went on the sailing boat with Captain Bob himself. It was really nice to meet the man himself, but he turned out to be a bit too serious. He was more concerned with absolute safety than making sure everyone was having a good time (which we were, but not a GREAT time). I can understand that he has been doing this for a VERY long time and has done this trip more times than I've taken my work commute back home AND I'm also sure that he has seen way too many people get hurt because of their own crazy behavior (its not hard to step on the sea urchin or a sharp piece of coral when you aren't paying attention), so I can understand Captain Bob and his priority for safety.

This has been going on for too long and if you have reached this far, you deserve a cookie (or a beer. I won't judge).
To wrap this up, as a person who has lived on Phi Phi Island for a week and been on this cruise in August and in February, I strongly recommend everyone to go in summer but when there is less rainfall (we found August to be fine). Also, its was way more fun on the speedboat than the sailing boat and Jason did a spectacular job at showing all of us a great time. I strongly recommend going with him.

Don't forget - reef water shoes and sunscreen.

Date of experience: February 2015