Mama Beach Residence
Reviewed June 30, 2014

First of all the view from this hotel is just wow.. stunning. Located right on the beach and at the end so its like your own private beach!

On arrival the rooms were standard but what we expected, it was small but enough room from 3 people, the bathroom was good and clean. The actual grounds of the lodge were beautiful, and the beach was stunning, on the beach there was a bar that belonged to the lodge and the cocktails were great! The staff were amazing, genuine and friendly. Our rooms were always done by the the time we got back from our outings.

Over all the rooms were perfect for what we needed, staff were great and helpful, the food was lovely and fresh, but the beach and the view is what made it the best part of my trip! It was heaven!

Although its on the same side of the island as the pier its very quiet and clean and not far from all the excitement!

I defiantly recommend staying here.. in fact if i were to go back i would stay nowhere else but here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rolo1234

Reviewed June 12, 2014

It is a beautiful remote island and Mama is at the quiet end of the island. If you want a refuge, awesome, if you want the crazy scene, its not that far a walk, but that is a very good thing. The remoteness and beauty of Mama's is a strong point for us. They just need to be more generous about their wi-fi. I know your at the end of the world, but they could provide the wi fi they claim they provide at the bar, that claims to have wi fi with out hassles. I hate to quibble in such a beautiful place, but I opted to pay extra for these luxuries.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dkazooman
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. It is about a 10 minute walk from the pier. Someone from the hotel carried our luggage back to the pier the day we left which we appreciated. There was construction going on next door and the staff were very apologetic about it, but it really didn't bother us much. We ate at the cafe here several times and enjoyed everything we tried. We especially enjoyed the fresh juice and fruit in the morning.

There are loungers with umbrellas in front of the hotel so you can relax right on the beach with great views of the water or of the nearby rock climbers. There is not much nightlife on this side of the beach, but a quick 10 minute walk will take you closer to the pier where there is a little more activity.

Overall, it was a very quiet and relaxing stay. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Krystal F
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel is on the quiet side of the island, it has a nice private sun bed area on the beach. The staff here are very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much. Breakfast was good and cooked fresh to order.
The room was a good size with a lovely balcony overlooking the beach and out to sea with 2 very comfortable chairs.
The only thing I didn't like was that it had an open bathroom, with curtains across for privacy, I think it would have been nice not to have had the bathroom left open and to be enclosed. But to be far the staff came in at night time and sprayed for mosquitos each night and we didn't have one mosquito bite whilst staying there. Not too sure breathing in the mosquito repellent was the best thing for our health but it worked.
Would recommend this hotel to any one considering going to Koh Phi Phi.

1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Loved it ! Probably the best hotel in Phi Phi location: really the best location in the island. Amazing beach and sea. calm and not far from the action and nightlife (10 mins walk to the tongsai pier and he village) Comfy beds and linen Christine is friendly and very helpful (and very professional)
Bathroom and shower not great. Water of the sink is almost non existent rooms are basic, look like residential beach chalets in France AC could be replaced with a better one breakfast can be improved excursion from the hotel a bit expensive (go talk to vendors on the way to the pier) didn't try lunch/dinner didn't try the massage on the beach of the hotel. Very gay-friendly hotel :)

1  Thank Kas_Bxl
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Mama beach is in an excellent location that leaves you far enough away from the party noises but close enough to join it whenever you want. The residence also boasts great views of the sea and harbor. The beach is great. Much cleaner than other areas and with free chairs.

However, the poor service and attitude provided by management forces me to give a critical review and dissuade anyone from staying here. Its true that there is construction behind Mama beach that will impact your sleep. It starts at 7:00 am. I booked Mama beach months in advance and received no information regarding the construction from management prior to my arrival. I would have switched.

Given the noise I asked the front desk to provide us with ear plugs so we could hope to sleep past 7:00 on our vacation. They tried to make us pay for it, I refused, and they begrudgingly accepted. .

Our room had no hot water. The management acknowledged the problem but blamed it on the construction occurring behind their residence. They said they would switch our room but it was full. We got "its not our fault and tough luck" attitude from the Managers. For me, I don't need hot water at the beach but my GF was not happy about this and at Mama Beach's price point, I expect hot water. The wifi is shoddy at best as well.

Some of the wait staff is excellent at Mama Beach, others are terrible. One bartender tried to serve us a "fresh" mango smoothie with barely 3 slivers of actual mango in it. I had to stop him and ask him to put more in it. He gave me a dirty look but obliged.

When it came time to leave Mama Beach I requested they discount our bar and restaurant tab not considering the construction noise (Its not their fault, I was willing to give them a pass) but because our room had no hot water. The front desk manager immediately agreed to 50% off ($16 USD) The other manager (owner?) tried to refuse that and said all she could offer was a cocktail from the bar and acting offended that I would even ask for such a discount and that I was given the option to leave my first day but I decided to stay. Never mind that I never was given that option and I prepaid for the hotel so I couldn't have done that any way. She agreed to 50% off but her attitude was just terrible. It amounted to $16 dollars and she tried to get off with just giving us a free cocktail.

There are plenty of other respectable places on Phi Phi. DO NOT STAY AT MAMA BEACH!

Room Tip: Grand Sea Rooms top floor
3  Thank MStewart421
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

location: their the last resort to the left from the pier, which makes it far enough from the noise, but near enough to the town.. although to be honest, we didnt really go to the town anymore because it was already nice at the resort

ambiance: it's a quiant little resort..the garden is well manicured, and the restaurant has a separate platform for dinner, facing the beach which is quite romantic.. our room was in the perfect location, facing the beach so when you open the blinds, you see the sea.. perfect!

staff: superb! the concierge is nice and helpful, but the staff in the restaurant is even better.. they are so attentive and friendly, one even caught a praying mantis for us because it was bothering us during dinner.. really really nice people

so why 2 stars?

room:
- the pillow cases had holes in them, and so did the beach towel.. i'm pretty sure plain white linen is pretty easy and cheap to replace
- BED BUGS!! we woke up with blood spots on the sheets and numerous bites in our bodies.. when we looked closer, there were a couple of dead bugs around us, and some still alive. this is by far the worse thing that i've experienced in any hotel. we're now covered in bites and that image of the walking blood sucker is still in my head. if not for this, it would have been a great experience.. looking at the other reviews, it seems only us experienced it.. which sucks literally and figuratively

lastly, wifi? pfft. non-existent.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple