“A great few days”

Mama Beach Residence
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Our stay at Mama beach was, overall, a few good experience; the rooms are fantastic. They're ultra modern and very clean, with good facilities. The bathrooms add a special touch, given that most of them are outside.

The resort itself is in a good location, with its own area of beach on the nicer side of the island. I say nicer side as it is quieter and generally kept in better condition. The beach is beautiful, and snorkeling is good straight from the beach. The resort itself is set next to massive cliffs that overlook the beach.

It takes about 5 minutes to walk into the central area of Koh Phi Phi, and local amenities are never too far away. One thing I have to say, which is at no fault of the resort, is that the walk to the town centre at night is rather dark and not well lit at all.

The staff are pleasant and the owner seems to be a very nice guy, who even gave us a parting gift.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at the Mama Beach for 4 nights while doing a diving course on Phi Phi. The complex is well located on the island - far enough from the town centre to be quiet, but close enough to walk there for dinner, etc. It overlooks a lovely stretch of the main beach and the limestone massifs to the side make for a dramatic view. There is no swimming pool, but plenty of lounge chairs bordering the beach.
The rooms are very modern and clean with a simple, fresh decor. The beds are quite firm, but comfortable with high-quality linens. Drinking water is supplied daily and the mini-bar is reasonably priced.
The breakfast is not fantastic, but there is quite a big variety on offer. I was a little put-off by all the flies buzzing about the pastries; why they have no covering nets I can only wonder.
Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful.
If you are a beach freak, you may want to look elsewhere (eg. Long beach) as the beach here is not swimmable at low tide. But if that doesn't bother you, I would recommend staying at Mama Beach.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Althea L
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed here on our honeymoon for 4 nights in a grand sea view room. The room was a little more basic than I expected, having no wardrobe was a bit strange. You had to keep the bathroom door shut at night because of the bugs as its an open air bathroom, im glad we had the insect plug in repellant with us as i did get bit even with that. However, it was clean and they sprayed your room each night at 7pm. Breakfast was nice. The beds to sunbathe on were great and the beach in front of the hotel was so nice. It was a 10-15 minute walk into the centre but we didnt mind and were glad as it was quiet at night and we could sleep. The centre is mad busy especially compared to 3 years ago when we last visited.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissatorr
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Just returned from my trip to Thailand in which I spent 2 nights at Mama’s. We were met at the pier (sign with our names on it), and taken back to the resort. Bags were taken for us, as we walked the short 5/10 min walk from Ton Sai pier. Check in was quick, rooms were lovely – particularly liked the partly outdoor bathroom!

Located at the far end of the beach on Ton Sai Bay, and a short 10 mins walk to all the shops, bars & restaurants. The beach was nice (but not the best on the island), and the view was mainly of all the ferries and boats arriving and departing at Ton Sai Pier. There was a restaurant onsite, good food & prices. Lovely decking and sun loungers, but sadly this was all Mama’s had to offer for me.

We chose to stay on Ton Sai Bay as we wanted a quieter spot. Definitely the right Bay to be on if you wanted a quieter location, as Loh Dah Lum Bay was far busier and full of bars.

Overall Mama’s was very nice although I do feel it was overpriced for what they offered – a pool would have been nice considering their rates. I would recommend Mama’s if you have money to spend and you want to be away from the madness, otherwise I suggest to look elsewhere for a better deal. Sorry Mama’s!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Mama Beach is a 10-15 minute walk from the main pier on Phi Phi island and feels like a welcome retreat from the noisy beach bars and crowds. The well appointed rooms are clean and neat, and the outdoor bathrooms are a novelty (and are perfectly private). I would say that it's at the lower end of the four star accommodation range (or an exceptional three star). This place echos the phi phi of old - it's quiet, and seems more about relaxation and comfort - it's an escape from the backpacker madness on the other side of town. The dark walk home at night was slightly disconcerting on the first evening (as a solo female) but it was perfectly safe and very easy. NIce breakfast, lovely staff and great loungers on the beach!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kat c
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Run by a nice french family, great people.
Don't expect the flash pool or the gym here. These are just clean neat rooms.
This is the only decent place in tonsai; I have personally went to every hotel to check out the rooms. (Research for recommending to clients)

If your looking for something quiet clean and nice and that has good service with a more affordable price stay here. Breakfast is served every morning.

We stayed here feb 2011. Beautiful beach and sunbeds.

Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in tonsai bay.

Room Tip: There really is no different we stayed in grand sea view which was the top level. Was nice outlook.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We paid $500 for three nights 12/19-21/2011. We are two straight men and they put us in a queen after many pre visit communications telling them through Agoda we wanted 2 beds. They didn't get the message. They offered a children's size cot and we refused. They finally offered us another room with a futon for one of us, not what you would expect for this price but better than what we had. Breakfast included, but not a buffet, it was highly regulated and controlled to the point of being uncomfortable. They did not know the dive boat schedules (which they should) and many divers were sort of scrounging for breakfast in advance of the dive trips and the management could only say "we're not open yet" at 7:00 am, and with divers expected to be at the pier between 7:30 and 8 am, a 20 minute walk away (no motor vehicles allowed here), I can only wonder if they do this as a way to not have to feed breakfast to the dive community. Perhaps I am confusing cynicism with incompetence, but for such a high priced place, I expect more, especially given all the more attractive alternatives, such as the Banyan, which I did look at and wished I booked instead, and they have a state of the art work out facility while Mama's has none. One of the most expensive places we stayed at in Thailand with the worst experience. I just hate having to fight to get an accommodation that I thought I paid for already handsomely.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends