“Never ever stay here but Phi is truely stunning”

Phi Phi Sand Sea View Resort
Ranked #27 of 63 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived in phi phi island and it was stunning.

Booked hotel at the pier we asked for a place on the beach for a good price as we were on a budget. We got shown the photo's and booked the place for fan room bungalow on the beach for 1000bht which was about 20 English pounds.

We waited for about 20 minutes for the trolley man to come and take us to our room.

He finially turned up and walked us down to the accomadation it was just off the beach is stunning and we thought this is the place!

We enter the room which is woven bamboo sheet for walls.

The room was very basic which we were fine with it but there were cockroach eggs in all the corners. The bed was a box surround with 2 mattress placed on top. The room was full of little insects the fan was placed over the bed.

We went out and brought some bug spray. Sprayed the room and came back later. There were dead cockroaches over the floor and little dead insects everywhere.
I felt horrible sleeping in the room but the island was full and we had booked 2 nights.
The next morning I woke up and I was covered in bites. The fan barely worked and made a loud noise but we hadn't a choice.

I Would never return this accomadtion but the island is stunning and two nights in this insect pit was worth it just being in such amazing place!

There is better accomadation on the island and if traveling in dec/ peak season I would pre book next time.

Advice dont walk to view point in afternoon as there's over 1000 steps up hill and in the heat it's painful! But it was worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012
There are newer reviews for Phi Phi Sand Sea View Resort

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

It is difficult to consider the hotel independently from the rest of the island. Phi Phi Don feels like Amsterdam central - packed with teenage party tourists and souvenir shops.
The room was spartanic and set up quite efficiently. The surroundings were quiet, as the huts are at the end of the beach. Sleeping was difficult though, as just a towel was provided as bedding. Also, the heat was unbearable. Being without A/C, one should have thought of a better air flow through the room. Using the bathroom "window" was not possible due to mosquitoes coming in and a strong smell coming back up through the drain.
If you are planning on relaxing on Phi Phi Don, book a bungalow on the hill or invest in a "real" resort.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

1 star property with 3 star prices. We paid 80USD a night for a non A/C room with 2 uncomfortable beds. The bedding was a large towel.
Sadly Phi Phi is a victim of it's own success. Too many people on a tiny Island. On a positive not the beaches on the other side of the Island are almost desertd and very nice

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is the most disgusting place I have ever had to stay. We travelled to Phi Phi just after New Year and it was very busy, so we had no choice to stay as we couldn’t get anywhere else. I am not one for writing reviews, but feel on this occasion if I can help someone avoid staying here then I must. How it can be called a resort, I do not know. The pictures on this site, also must have been taken a long time ago as it doesn’t look anything like that. We didn’t take pictures as we didn’t want to be reminded of it. It actually makes me itchy thinking about it now!

We were told by the travel agent that it was very nice and made to pay a 2000bht deposit along with each night being charged at 3000bht.

I knew the minute that we arrived that it was going to be horrible, the grounds are not looked after and the bungalows look so shabby and are mixed in with the little houses where the workers live. We stayed opposite a Thai family, who one night had a very loud fight outside.

We were originally provided with a towel for a bed sheet, we were provided with sheets when we requested some. The bungalow itself, moved with every footstep like it was going to collapse, there were cracks in the floor and holes in the ceiling which had been filled in with toilet paper. The place stunk, every time we went into it, I felt like I was going to be sick. The bathroom was disgusting, it was so old, I have never seen anything like it. The toilet kept blocking and we were not provided with toilet paper.

It doesn’t have a lock from the inside, you can only lock it from the outside using a padlock which means when you are in bed of a night you are not secure. You are also not able to change the code on the safe, which means the staff know the code. The TV did not work either.

We were bitten alive staying here, my friend had 57 bites just on her legs. I slept in leggings, socks and a hoodie so my skin did not touch the bedding.

We did not get replacement towels for the whole 5 days and our room was not cleaned during this time either.

Outside the kitchen restaurant was a bird kept in a cage that was so full of bird mess the smell was disgusting.

The beach here is also very close to the harbor and there is a lot of rubbish in the sea. It is about a 5 minute walk from the main part, and at night there are no lights. Also, the beach is in shade most of the afternoon.

Phi Phi is amazing, so you don’t want to ruin your experience by staying here when there are much nicer places to stay for the same or less money.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. They are all the same.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed January 13, 2013

first of all it is necessary to clarify that this is not a resort, but it can be classified as a camping bungalow. If considered as a camping bungalow the position is nice and quiet, right on the seaside, even if the best beaches are in another part of the island. The room is not so clean and rooms with fan are very warm. but if considered as a camping bungalow can be a good choice.
But it is sold as a resort, so i would expect something different like clean bedsheets, room cleaning at least once in 4 days...it is overpriced if compared to the rest of thailand (but phi phi is more expensive than the rest of thailand). Breakfast not included and in the bar is overpriced compared to all the other places in the island.

Room Tip: choose air con bungalows (with fan is impossible to sleep)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Don't expect much, we had a simple bungalow next to the beach, next to the Phi-Phi hospital. It had what we needed, not more, not less.
TV had almost exclusively Asian channels, but who cares...you are not there to watch TV.
It's a good 10 minutes walk to the Pier. Quite at night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lampros B
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The rooms I had (and I stayed in two) were both clean, if a little dated, with sheets, towels, free water and the usual asian shower-without-tray scenario. I opted for a fan rather than A/C which was a pain because the only settings were flull blast or off, making sleeping a bit tricky, although my neighbour didnt have this problem. I also awoke every morning to what I assume to be the staff talking and shouting in the premises behind my room (and someone being sick but I guess that Phi Phi for you!) The arrangement of the bungalows is linear which means that if you're at the back the view is unfortunately a rather unattractive yard. For the price (I paid 800 baht), I am told you could find better in Phi Phi, but personally I found the situation half a mile from the chaos of the town and close to the beach worth the money. Others have commented about the owner and while he was a bit standoffish at first, I actually found him to be pretty helpful and friendly after a few days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo