“Nice to be away from the party”
Review of Maney Resort

Maney Resort
Ranked #51 of 62 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Nice to be away from the party”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I was met at the pier and had a man from the resort take my bags all the way to my room. Never had to carry them once. Staff was nice and helpful. I stayed in lower rooms not the small bungalows but they were clean and equipped with A/C and a TV. I would have liked to have a safe box in the room and a fridge would be greatly appreciated. The location was great for me. Everywhere on phi phi is within walking distance. It was nice to be away from the party scene. I could enjoy the bars and then get away if needed. Beaches are both a 10 minute walk. My breakfast was included in the price of my room and it was simple but yummy. It's a basic place but I liked it :)

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Staying in the bungalow dwellings here is definitely an experience - you feel like you are the famous five, on an adventure tucked away up a hillside in your own tree house.

The good bits - You can sense the craftsmanship and care which has gone into the building of these bungalows. They really are enchanting cabins; - the simple structure of wood and bamboo with their balconies overlooking the hillside, really contrived a striking yet unpretentious feel. And laid out as they were, with the cabins escalating up the hillside was really captivating sight, unlike any resort we stayed at in Thailand.

The not so great bits - depending on your threshold for these things, you might find them bothersome or not. Getting here you have to wander past what seems, (well, smells and looks) like a giant cess pit, which can be.., hmm a tad raw now and again. and to be honest our bathroom was unusable really - the shower's water was probably best not bathed in and we had some run ins with some giant roaches.

Still without trying to sound like some pampered western t**sser we didn't regret staying here, it all felt like part of the fun and games. Overall Maney had great character. It felt as if this resort had in some way (maybe euphemistically) climbed out of the destruction of 2004 with a defiant understated elegance, and that made it a worthwhile visit in itself.

Certainly worth a read;

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Joeb1kinobe
Seattle
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and kids (15/18) loved the hotel. It was set in the jungle and had monkeys that would visit every day. It was like living in a tree house. I personally had a harder time as it is a very long and tiring climb to the room every night with long walks to the beach everyday. My knees hurt. After our reservation we decided to pay more (double) and stay on the beach. But they would of been happy to have stayed on the mountain. They give you choice of breakfast the yogurt with fruit was the best of the three. But you only get the one cup of coffee or get charged for second cup. :( For the non beach people it is fine. Reminded me of Manuel Antonio Costa Rica

Room Tip: Away from all the tourist noise, good for those who want to get away from it all or are on a budget...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

As many other places in Phi Phi, Maney is overpriced. The day we arrived we're put in a different room, a very bad one. We've booked deluxe and was in the standard - when we realized that, we went to talk with the staff - there's not a manager there to whom you could complain about. The girl explained that we could move to our booked room if we wanted, but it was the highest of all bungalows and we're already tired from the trip, so we moved on the day after - first thing is why they put us in a different room? probably because maybe we wouldn't realize it!
So, we stayed in two different rooms, the standard is awful, near the road, no view at all and you can listen your neighbours. room is small, no windows. Bungalow is much better, even without air con - at least there is some light, although as in many places in Asia, you cannot open the windows! Bed is hard but not terrible; shower was good, with hot water but of course the bathroom was a damp after use. No ventilation in bathroom. Bungalow was hot, really hot and fan is in the wall, not in the roof.
Breakfast was poor, internet wasn't working - but the worst is staff. They're rude, all the time bad mood, no intention to help at all - we asked them to stay an additional night and they said they couldn't confirm it until night, We find another place, of course and asked for the transfer to the pier (50 baths each/person when you're leaving) and they said they couldn't arrange it.
Good thing is that, if you want to enjoy phi phi nightlife, it's about 10 minute walking to town, but it's quiet at night. Also, some rooms have a good view.
All in all, it's more or less like the other average priced places in phi phi, a very busy and expensive island - and I don't recommend it.

Room Tip: Be sure that you are in the room you booked. Go for the bungalows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alalas

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

buckinghamshire
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place should be avoided at all cost, the bungalows on stilts are far away from what we got. We were put in dirty looking garden sheds with a padlock on the outside and a toilet door lock on the inside. To get from the main part of phi phi to here you walk through the sewers !!! what a smell, then through what looked like a rubbish tip and up a hill that you need oxygen to complete. The staff really don't care, they have your cash. We didn't bother to unpack and when we had found a real hotel after half hour we left,,we were told no refund like she has to say that everyday. We are not fussy people but this place needs knocking down. Phi phi is beautiful.

Room Tip: Phi phi hotel is excellent and not over priced. Main hotel is better than west Wing.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I spent most of my 3 weeks on Phi Phi island at Maney Resort. I can only say the the staff could not have done more to make my stay more pleasent. It really is quiet in this location. YES, one needs a certain fitness to deal with the steep hillside but its worth it, I´m 63. One is at the edge of life on Phi Phi island but in less then 20 mins even the furthest beach can be reached. Walking is part of staying on this island. I came home a fitter 3.5 kilos lighter!! Concidering that it includes breakfast is it an altogether very good value.

Room Tip: For someone who feels less fit a lower bungalow would be better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is my second time at Maney Resort. This resort is located behind the main village up a steep hill so if you are not keen on walking far I recommend you don’t stay here. The bonus with this however though is that you escape most of the loud music at night. The staff are friendly enough and mainly leave you to your own devices. The rooms are basic but have everything you need. For the price I think this is a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#95 of 123 in Ao Nang
Aonang Eco Inn
Aonang Eco Inn
#8 of 142 in Ao Nang

Been to Maney Resort? Share your experiences!